Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Italian-themed potluck tomorrow... help! page

jnmarz30 is offline Member

Italian-themed potluck tomorrow... help!

Primal Fuel
    I've been thinking about how to do this, and I'm just not sure what to do. I thought I'd ask her for some been-there-done-that advice.

I've been primal for about 3 weeks now. I'm invited to an Italian-themed potluck tomorrow. The host is a woman I like but don't know very well. I don't know any of the other guests. We went to a gathering at the home of a good friend last weekend, and I felt comfortable just telling her that I'm off grains/sugar (my version of a quick/easy explanation) as a way to explain why I wouldn't be eating the desserts and carby snacks she would be serving (and to clear with her that I'd bring some snacks of my own, which she was fine with). The woman hosting tomorrow, I don't feel comfortable doing that with.

At first, I figured I'd just give myself a cheat day for tomorrow. But I have to be honest, I have no desire whatsoever for a cheat day. I don't miss the pasta and the pizza crust. I feel so much better without them. So then I thought, well, I'll make a cauliflower-crust pizza or something to bring. But when I asked the host about what to bring, she requested either pasta and sauce, bread, or dessert (someone else already snapped up pizza!).

I'm not sure how to get through this gracefully. As of right now, I'm going to bring dessert and try to do some primal desserts that others will enjoy, like a cheesecake and clafouti, or something like that. But I'm overwhelmed by the prospect of the meal itself. I'm so lost on what to do, that I've actually considered bowing out and letting the host know I can't make it because my kids have been sick (which is true, although it's just been colds and certainly nothing that requires I stay home).

Any advice?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    There's an italian herb almond bread floating around the forums somewhere....
    You could also compromise on the pasta and sauce and bring pasta for everyone else and enough zuke noodles for 4-5 people, and just make a primal friendly sauce.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

lolov is offline Senior Member
    If you don't HAVE to bring dessert, and you want to be sure you have something yummy to eat that others will enjoy too, make what I had for dinner last night. It's super easy!

Steam up a bunch of cauliflower chopped into small (smaller than whole florets) pieces.
    Cut up some chicken breast into bite size pieces and sautee until cooked in butter and garlic.
    When chicken and cauliflower are cooked, put the cauliflower in with the chicken and add pesto (homemade or store bought.) Add cream or half and half to make it richer if you're doing dairy and loads of parmesan cheese.

It's not authentic or anything, but then, neither is American pizza LOL. And it sure is delish!

Hope that helps!

Lo

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i agree that you don't have to bring dessert only.
    slice some eggplant the long way about a 1/4" thick, sprinkle with salt, and cook in a pan until they are soft enough to roll up. you've just made yourself delicious replacement for manicotti noodles. roll them up with some meat and ricotta and garlic and other tasty things inside, pour some sauce over them, cover with some shredded cheese, and bake for....i don't know...45 minutes at 350. people will appreciate your dish, and it's primal.

jnmarz30 is offline Member
    Both of those recipes sound divine; thank you!

Would you all not eat the other dishes at the potluck? Or maybe just take small amounts? I think I'm leaning toward taking small amounts and doing the "1 or 2 small bites and push the rest around creatively" method. I want to be a gracious guest and I'm not certain how convincing that would be.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I might serve myself some of the sauces and avoid the noodles. Frankly, the sauces should be fine. Who would add sugar to their sauce, after all? Or, if you think that will look suspicious, put some cheese or veggies on your plate and sauce those.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    You'd be amazed at how many people use sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, melodious. I had to replace the sugar with carrot in my family recipe.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnmarz30 View Post
    Would you all not eat the other dishes at the potluck? Or maybe just take small amounts? I think I'm leaning toward taking small amounts and doing the "1 or 2 small bites and push the rest around creatively" method. I want to be a gracious guest and I'm not certain how convincing that would be.
    it's really a matter of how you're feeling about it. i like a good food experience, so if i'm going to have a better time by kicking back and tasting someone's lasagna or unusual pizza topping, i will indulge a little bit. one meal isn't really going to throw you off physically, but if it will set you back psychologically then might want to choose your foods carefully.
    i find it hard to imagine an italian themed pot luck without meat, salad and vegetables. i'd count on there being a good amount of food there that you will be comfortable with

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I went to an Italian potluck with the same set of instructions and took the Italian Pot Roast from the PB cookbook

I told them in advance that I would be bringing a big hunk o' meat. Everyone loved it
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How about an antipasto salad? Cured meats, good mozzarella, olives, pepperoncinis, tomato, etc on salad greens with some tangy italian dressing on the side with a ladle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast