Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Easing into it vs. cold turkey? page

tanyahk is offline Senior Member

Easing into it vs. cold turkey?

So it has been about 2 weeks now that I've gone primal and I decided to ease into it... still eating fruit, dairy, nuts and dark chocolate. The issue is I'm up almost 4lbs and VERY unhappy..... I'm craving sugar all the time and cheating alot and it seems that the fact that I am still incorporating this much sugar into my diet is keeping the cycle going. So I'm thinking that once all of my food is gone (just spent $200 at Whole Foods today, I'm not trashing it!) I will get rid of dairy, nuts and chocolate.... stick with fruits, veggies and meats.

What are people's thoughts on the best way to go? My primary goal is to get rid of about 15 pounds. My secondary goal (a very close second) is to feel good - I was primal for about 2 months and I realized I felt my best when I ate this way.

Any insight/thoughts/opinions/help would be great!

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I going on my 3rd week. I started on the first and I went cold turkey on New Years Day and it has been the easiest thing I've ever done. I really think you make it hard for yourself if you ease into it because a little bit will trigger cravings. If you go cold turkey, then the cravings go away right away.
    The way I transitioned was with a tub of guacamole and spinach dip with lettuce for dipping. That was like eating junk food, but it was allowed. That along with a big breakfast of eggs and sausage and I was not craving anything by the 2nd day. Then once the cravings are all gone, you can start to fine tune your meals to eat what you need. But the first few days, I ate primal junk...like dip.

Oh and btw, I don't eat fruits at all. I'm leaving fruits out until I reach my goal weight and will add them for maintenance. I think that makes a difference with cravings as well.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    If you're craving sugar then you definitely want to go cold turkey on that. Your plan of going straight fruits, vegetables and meat sounds pretty solid, so I would say stick with that. A couple weeks in you can experiment with adding in certain things (nuts, dairy, etc) to see if it works for you.

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    um ... why are u getting rid of nuts ... some are good....
    also fruit is supposed to be in moderation and again, some are much better than others and most are full of the sugar you are trying to cut out and which are causing the cravings ...

so my advice - no choc, no fruit, minimal dairy minimal nuts, eat lots of good fats, be careful to make sure yr not overloading on carby veggies ....

After reading this and alot of posts on the forum it seems as though that is the way I should go. I'm not going to lie - I'm SCARED. I'm an emotional eater and I'm not sure how I'm going to deal without feeding my sugar cravings!!! That is why I'm keeping the fruits. I stop myself after blueberrys and 2 apples per day. I'm nervous about snacking and what to do if I need something small, not a full meal. Or if I am in the office and I can't make anything.... I am so nervous this is going to be very hard and I'll fail

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    you probably gained because your PB'ing at the same time as still eating a lot of sugar/carbs. So all that extra fat you are consuming is getting stored and the carbs being burned, rather than your body learning how to burn fat.

kiwineil - which veggies are "carby"? Cutting out nuts because I eat WAY to many of them. Cutting out dairy based on alot of forum posts saying in the beginning it is good to cut them out..... So many conflicting things out there!

Quote Originally Posted by earthspirit View Post
    you probably gained because your PB'ing at the same time as still eating a lot of sugar/carbs. So all that extra fat you are consuming is getting stored and the carbs being burned, rather than your body learning how to burn fat.
    That's exactly what I assumed.... I think I just need to go cold turkey and call it a day. There doesn't seem to be a happy medium with me..... If I have a little bit of sugar I want alot!

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyahk View Post
    .. I'm SCARED. I'm an emotional eater and I'm not sure how I'm going to deal without feeding my sugar cravings!!! That is why I'm keeping the fruits. I stop myself after blueberrys and 2 apples per day. I'm nervous about snacking and what to do if I need something small, not a full meal. Or if I am in the office and I can't make anything.... I am so nervous this is going to be very hard and I'll fail
    Don't be scared. I'm a total emotional eater too...or was. I always tell people when they say "I can't imagine giving up bread" that it's very hard to imagine or think about, but easy to "do." It's a physiological change and automatic. If you feel like snacking the first few days, eat a thing of guacamole or spinach dip or artichoke dip. i also used cheese as a transition snack food. I'd have 2 babybels a day. I would recommend trying to snack on these fatty things rather then fruit to get completely off the sugar addiction.

Also weird change, i use to be an emotional eater and eat from boredom and I'd sit and watch my favorite shows for hours at night. But now, i can't even sit and watch TV anymore. I don't know why because I don't want to not watch TV anymore. But I'm more productive now and I'm less bored.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So with dip - what do you dip into it! I would love to dip into guac but without crackers I'm at a loss.... Bread for me was the easy part... all grains really, I don't care about them, don't miss them, don't crave them.... but twizzlers, chocolate, dried fruit... OMG I can't get enough!!!! I do the same, snacking when I'm bored. I hate it!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast