Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and willing to become primal - but helpless :( page

WarriorKitty Guest

Hey there! I've just joined after reading Mark's blog and the Primal Blueprint 101 the WHOLE DAY ^^

I'm really tired now but want to try becoming healthy and shedding pounds with this primal lifestyle - I just don't know how to start...I have some questions and hope you can help me finding the answers

1. Omega 6 and Omega 3 should be in a 1:1 ratio - how can I figure out what ratio the fat I'm consuming has? And what happens when I'm not eating in a 1:1 ratio?

2. I read that it's best to exercise at a low pace for preferably 5 hours a week and adding sprints 1-2 times a week. Okay, that shouldn't be much of a problem for me - I LOVE walking or skating because it's so easy and fun But I don't know how much I should strength train...and what...!? Is it okay to do circuits as strength training 2-3 times a week for 30-60 min? (Body Weight exercises (partially with weights) with Jumping Jacks etc between sets to get the heart rate up) Or should I do other forms of strength training like just lifting heavy heavy weights?

I'm thankful for all help out there that will be given to me - these 2 points are just too confusing for me :P

Annika is offline Senior Member

I recommend getting Mark's book. I read a ton here on the site when I discovered it, but once I ended up buying the book I was very glad I did. In the book, Mark lays his ideas all out neatly so you can see the big picture.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Griff is offline Senior Member

Read the book - it will give you answers to almost all your questions.

About the O3:O6 ratio - most food today has too much O6, so look to boost your O3 as much as possible. That's accomplished by eating fish and/or taking fish oil and cod liver oil, among other supplements. Go to your local health food store and tell them you want to boost your O3s; they'll no doubt have advice for you on the right kinds of supplements to take.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

WarriorKitty Guest

Thank you very much for your help - I'll order the book but it will take a while until shipped here I think...and I want to start living healthy as soon as possible because I've lived really unhealthy until now (a combination of CW-diet and exercising and bingeing).

WarriorKitty: So do what you can do now. Ask questions here, read the forum to find some answers to the most common ones. You might be able to find the book at your local library while you wait for your copy to get to you.

It's not necessary to be 100% right away. You will still benefit just from beginning the process of change.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

WarriorKitty Guest

Thank you very much - that calmed my mind I'm a bit nervous because I want to do everything right - okay, then I order a copy and do my best to eat healthy and exercise the way I think it's good for me I'm excited about eating these high amounts of fat and no carbs - I always thought: The more carbs the better ^^

WarriorKitty: Some tips for you from my own experience, below:

The ratio that I'm eating at is 70-80% fat (saturated and monounsaturated - avoid vegetable oils except for extra virgin olive oil, and add coconut oil to your diet), 25-30% protein, and no more than 40g of carbs per day (ideally less - I try to keep it below 30g).

In the first few weeks, avoid fruit and dairy as well as processed and starchy carbs. Grok didn't have dairy products readily available to him, and fruit was a really special and very occasional treat - it was how we (should) treat desserts today - he didn't get it very often. Neither should we. When you add it back, stick to berries and stone fruits (peaches, apricots). Avoid bananas and citrus as they're very high in sugar - with, of course, the exception of a lemon or lime slice in your water to make it more palatable.

Be careful of eating too many nuts. Although they're a good source of fats, some of them also have a lot of carbs in them. Eight ounces of macademia nuts will set me back by a week.

Try to avoid chronic exercise (what Mark calls "chronic cardio"). Focus on muscle-building - muscle will burn fat, and the more of it you have the better off you'll be.

Stay away from the scale, if you can - partly because your weight will drop, then go up a little as your body builds muscle, then drop again as your body burns more fats, and it can look like there's no pattern to the weight loss. Measure your progress in other ways - how your clothes are beginning to fall off, what your measurements are, your blood sugars if you're a diabetic or use a glucose monitor, how you're sleeping, how you're waking up, how you feel in general. Take a photo once a week or once a month, depending on how comfortable you are with it - you'll be startled at the difference when you compare the photos.

I wish you the best of luck. I've been Primal for six weeks, I've lost 35 pounds so far (397 to 362), and my blood sugars have gone from the 180s to the 110s. (My doctor at school says it's miraculous. I know it's just eating the way my genes were evolved to eat.)

WarriorKitty Guest

Wow, thank you for the advices and congratulations on the great weight loss - 35 pounds in 6 weeks is really amazing I'm trying to follow your advice on oil usage (I've coconut oil avaiable at home because I bought it for cosmetic reasons ^^) but 30g or less carbs - isn't that too few? I read that >50g/day is called fasting and shouldn't be done over long periods of time - the aim should be >100g - or am I mistaking something?

I will cut out dairy and fruit, that shouldn't be a problem (although I will eat some this week because I've bought grapes just yesterday and don't want to throw it away )

Nuts were always a big favorite of mine - I LOVE them - brazil nuts and cashews are my favourite. I tend to overeat when eating them while hungry so I will cut them out the first weeks I think

I hate chronic exercise - that always was the point I canceled my jogging routines. It's no fun at all

Looking forward for seeing my first results - I'm taking photos of me tomorrow and measure myself

Thank you so much!!! I'm happy that I've chosen to join this community!!!

I would offer a different perspective than Griff's; different methods will work for different people. I started slow instead of jumping in with both feet. Over a period of a few weeks, I cut out refined sugars and almost all grains, and added lots more meat and fat. I eat all fruits and veggies as much as I want (except fruit juice). I include dairy in my diet too: raw whole milk and cheese, mostly. Your goals will have a lot to do with how you make your changes; Griff has lots of weight to lose, while I don't, so he cares more about strictly limiting carbs, while I can be more lenient (stop me if I'm misrepresenting you, Griff!). Be patient with yourself - unless you have serious health problems, there's no need to make all the changes NOW.

In terms of strength training, there are many opinions, but most of what I've read recommends lifting heavy. That means lifting a weight you can left for maybe 5 reps instead of 12. I'm not sure what you mean by "circuits", but Mark's not a fan of muscle-isolating weight machines. Functional, whole-body exercises like pull-ups and squats are better.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Oops - I posted before I read your last post. Mark recommends 50-100 grams of carbs for weight loss and 100-150 for maintenance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast