lunch -asparagus, handful of almonds/pistacios
    dinner - mole chicken and asparagus, two red pears
    ad astra per aspera

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    500m Row - 1:29.8 (tied PR)

AMRAP in 2 minutes of GHD situps - 43

Overhead squat 3x5 @109#

breakfast - 5 eggs, coconut milk protein shake

lunch - PF CHang's Mongolian beef + garlilc spinach. In retrospect I think I was Gluten'd - felt flabby and swollen the rest of the afternoon

Night Workout -

1 rep max dead lift @375# PR!
    dead lifts 1x5 265#
    dead lifts 3x5 305#
    ring pull ups
    weighted pull ups
    weighted ring dips

dinner - coconut protein shake, left over chicken and asparagus, pear
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-05-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Fasted until 10 AM workout this morning - which was 20 minutes max effort met con. Felt great - did it in my kilt.

Afterward had coconut protein shake and pears x2 as well as some left over asparagus and chicken.

Dinner was shrimp and a glass of wine at JAX.

Skiing tomorrow at Breckenridge
    ad astra per aspera

Morning workout:

2x4 press @125#
    1x2 press @125#
    1x4 pres @120# FAIL FAIL FAIL

Front Squat 160# 4x5

breakfast: coconut milk protein shake, 5 eggs, handful of almonds/pistachios
    lunch: spinach, handful of almonds/pistachios
    snack: pear

evening workout:

4 rds for time with a 20# weight vest, barefoot:
    10 hang squat snatch below knee – 75#/45#
    10 box jumps – 24″
    10 wall balls – 20#/14# to 10 ft
    15 double unders

did it in 21 minutes. could have done faster. Want to try this over again sometime. My feet are numb right now the concrete floors were cold.

dinner: likely onion, meat, veg, pears x2
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-07-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Morning workout:

600 m row

wore a weight vest for the rest of the warmup (situps, pushups, double unders, tuck jumps etc)

warm ups with a 20# weight vest on
    50 hand stand push ups using a band apparatus on a pull up bar - perfect scaling!
    118# power cleans

Tabata situps - scored 13
    Tabata airsquats - ?? no idea wow those killed. My quads wanted to kill themselves.

breakfast - (was hungry!) 7 eggs, coconut milk protein shake
    lunch - spinach, almost a lb of ground beef, onion and green onion cooked in coconut oil (from last night's dinner)

TFC is feeling quite beastly this afternoon. For some reason his strength and rage level seems to increase with the MORE volume and intensity of his exercise regimen. Last week was rough because of my back injury and being so anti carb that I think it affected my recovery. I had a very amble dinner last night and a large breakfast and lunch today and feel like ripping the throat out of a wildebeast, eating its heart out and then skull fucking it.

^^this is what TFC feels like doing atm

I'm going to start with Pavel's grease the groove for pull ups and the ab roller today

evening workout: I definitely 'killed the sloth' to coin a new term

500 meter row

wore a weight vest for the rest of the warmup (situps, pushups, double unders, tuck jumps etc)

weight vest pullups 3x6 22#
    slow ring pullups 4 sets
    ring L raises 4x5
    2 sets Explosive pull ups x 8ish (standard no weight) - holy shit I almost jumped over the bar. wow. weight vest for the win. O_O My pull up power has dramatically increased!

Grease the groove pull ups 2 more sets of about 8 (not to failure)

overhead squats 115# 3x5, 1x3 FAIL, 1x5 - shoulder strength/stability continues to manifest itself in different areas. I am excited to improve handstand push ups, press and my over head strength.

did the same tabata situp/air squat combo as this morning. Ouch. I hope I can get adequate recovery in time for tomorrow morning!

had a nice compliment today was told that I looked "ripped." Additionally last Saturday one of the Crossfit coaches walked in on me getting out of the shower and said "holy shit dude you're buff!".

It's working

Dinner will be leftovers from lunch/dinner - meat, onions and maybe some sweet potato to help recovery
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-08-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Breakfast - 6 eggs, coconut milk protein shake
    Lunch: salmon salad with side of guacamole
    Dinner: gonna be Sirloin steak, coconut milk protein shake with flax

Morning workout: warm up in 20# weight vest (I think this will be a new tradition - I love this thing).

A. Snatch Grip Push Press – 5 x 5 – low effort; rest 90 sec
    (work on catch and correct scapular position; use hips to move weight) : this sucked hard. Confirming my belief that I have some structural issues with my shoulders inhibiting their strength. My press is by far my weakest lift in comparison to my size. It feels as though the proper muscles are not being recruited when I do press or push press, but rather my rotator cuffs are soley attempting to lift the weight. It's frustrating.

B. Snatch Balance – 3 x 3 @ 88# (read:LIGHT!); rest 2 min
    (work on depth ; choose a weight without riding weight down): could feel some improvement on my scapular support. Shoulders feel weak as hell though. Re-mounting the snatch back onto my shoulders after a successful snatch was the hardest part of the exercise. My shoulders are broken. Notch up another discovered weakness! SHOULDERS.

C. 6 sets of 20 GHD Back Extensions; rest 1 min : easy because GHD back extensions are a strength. Think my current PR is > 60 unbroken

In other news I have two friends who are starting Crossfit! My older brother who is 35, married with two kids is starting today! In fact he's doing it AS I TYPE THIS! His first class! I am excited to see how he likes it! I hope he has a good box because unfortunately that can determine a person's experience a lot more than Crossfit itself.

My other friend is Lennon my Hipster buddy from Austin, Tx who rides a bike and drinks lots of coffee. He is beanpole thin and not very strong but he is tall and very capable of kicking some but if he is motivate I think.

I will follow their Crossfit careers in my writings (be them long or short).

Also my sister who I mentioned took the Primal Leap for New Years is reporting better progress! She has lost the initial weight she gained after adjusting her diet to get rid of OJ and lots of fruit/yogurt. She is still meat and fat phobic (though she is trying hard) hopefully she maintains her interest and motivation!

I posted a comment in this thread relating to my own eating and exercise habits from the perspective of high activity and low carbohydrate.

I still have no idea what is fueling the sudden, dramatic surge of energy powering my two a day workouts this week. Perhaps just the juxtaposition against a dreadful last week defined by hypocaloric intake and shoulder injury by comparison make my drive seem above average (when in fact last week just sucked). A few weeks ago I also had an ugly cold - perhaps I finally am just all healed up.

evening workout:

weight vest warm up - burpees, sprint, push ups, situps, planks, air squats

deadlift 1x5 @330#
    1x3 @330#
    1x4 @330

death by dead lift @ 285# - finished 6 rounds then stopped tomorrow comes at 5:30am

weighted pull ups 20# 3x5 ala grease the groove
    handful of weighted ring pull ups 20#
    GHD situps with 20# weight vest
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Morning workout:

warmup
    Weight vest (20#) jog for a few hundred meters, burpees x5, push ups x10, medicine ball tosses. Warm ups are hard when the gym is 50 degrees and it's 5:30am!

back squat 3x5 @230# - wasn't getting the depth - about an inch too high at my base. I'm somewhat content with this since I did dead lifts yesterday and have been doing two a days all week. I will stick with this weight for my next back squat - I think I can get lower. Oh man I just figured out I did too much weight this lift - I was only supposed to do 220#! Hm I had better drop it back down to 220# for my next lift no point attempting heavier weight with less ROM.

Then worked on ring muscle up progression, ending with tabata muscle ups (from knees on ground). I have the strength to do muscle ups -- now just need to dial in the technique, muscle memory and form.

breakfast - was hungry - 6 oz sirloin steak, 6 eggs (with butter and cheese), coconut milk protein shake

*mental note to write about how I am neither Primal nor Paleo in coming post

lunch: asparagus. A lot of asparagus. The litter box was quite stinky for the rest of today.

evening workout: warmup (same as morning) with 20# weight vest
    1x5 weight vest 20# pull ups ala Grease the Groove

“Annie”
    50-40-30-20-10 rep for time of:
    Double Unders
    Sit-ups

12:07 - Double unders continue to be the bane of my existence and one reason I will continue to strength bias versus go 100% Crossyfit. THEY ARE SO LAME!!!

Afterward did death by push ups (+2 per round) made it to 11 rounds. Pretty nice lil plyo workout right there

Afterward did Pavel's Ladder/Grease the Groove with some buddies to introduce them to the concept. I don't kip on my pull ups (goal is to be able to knock out WODs unbroken without kips) and they are both really good kippers (but not great at strict) so I think the routine will work well for them.

Dinner: onion, beef, green onions

Prileo

So I have determined that I am neither Primal nor Paleo. Here's why:

1.) I don't exercise like Primes do. I do more volume and higher intensity than prescribed by the Primal Blueprint.
    2.) I don't play like Primes do. (unless you consider my workouts play -- which technically I do I suppose)
    3.) I limit dairy intake to butter on veggies.
    4.) I do not believe that coffee is a healthy food choice (cp Mark Sission, Robb Wolf)
    5.) I am more low carb than Primal and Paleo advocate; in fact I function on a keteogenic diet whose macros are mostly made up of protein, fat and carbs (in that order).
    6.) I don't do "Zone" blocking (ala Paleo) - often times my meals will have one or two components: eg Breakfast: "eggs", Lunch: "asparagus", dinner: "steak + spinach"
    7.) I don't do the whole "move slowly often" thing. I take my dog for a walk each day but the rest of the time I am in front of a computer at work, commuting in my car, at the gym or winding down for bed.
    8.) I don't freak out over minute dietary ingredients (like a restaurant's salad dressing containing gluten, or soybean oil) like a Paleo would. I figure such details are really a wash and have no real affect on *me*.
    9.) I don't do the Primal 80%/20% thing. I do 100% all the way, all the time in terms of sugar, grain, process food avoidance. I can count on one hand the number of times in the last 10 months in which I ate grains: 1.) 30th birthday 2.) Winsteads hamburger 3.) Piece of chocolate cake in Cusco, Peru on vacation 4.) ?? 5.) ??
    10.) I eat instinctively and determine my diet based on what my body tells me it needs to function best.

Anyway I think I will henceforth refer to my lifestyle as Prileo. Seems to fit somewhere in between don't you think?

Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-10-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Morning Workout:

5x10 overhead squat at 111# - failed on two sets

not very happy with my performance. It's been a long week and I was a little soft this morning. Tough to bring my A game each day at 5:30 when doing two a days all week. ad astra per aspera.

3 minute AMRAP kettle bell cleans - got 63 @1 pood - think last time I had 70+
    yeah energy level was pretty low -- always indicative of crappy kettle bell performance.

breakfast - 6 eggs most likely (with coconut milk protein shake)

lunch - some grilled chicken and a pint of blueberries

evening "workout"

oh man I really phoned it in. Put on a weight vest did some laps around the gym - attemped two sets of weighted pull ups, a couple muscle ups sat on the floor - acted like I was going to do some sit ups then noticed my back was sore from doing Annie last night without an ab mat and decided against it.

all in all a complete and udder farce. But to be honest the tank is totally empty at this point. Hopefully I can recover well for Tommorrow morning's 20 minute metcon.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-11-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    That is one badass picture of the cat/lizard.

Breakfast at 8:30 am

workout 10 AM: weight vest warm up 20#, 20 minute AMRAP Tabata mash ups: box jumps, push ups, burpees, air squats, sit ups mountain climbers. Ouch. Not my strongest performance.

Workout #2:

"Elizabeth"

21-15-9 reps of:
    Squat Clean 135 pounds
    Ring dips

13:40 Not a great time but it is following a 20 minute met con as well as 5 days of two-a-days so meh. My squat clean form was bunk. until last round was catching at the top and doing a squat instead of riding the weight down.

muscle up progression work (almost there!!)
    weight vest 20# pull ups 3x6
    bunch of ab mat sit ups unbroken

lunch: coconut protein shake with flax. Probably ton of eggs next

dinner: $34 of whole foods food bar: giant salad and curried chicken with 2x kombucha and 1x coconut water probiotic drink
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-13-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast