Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Tooth and Claw page 24

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Here are photos from the competition

Overall I was really happy with my performance. I finished 33/70 -- even after kind of bombing the first two WODs (which were body weight, running pull ups/HSPU WODs that I suck at). I did better than I expected on the swimming WODs and the final WOD of the competition was actually my best WOD overall (finished 17th). I'm happy with that as a 32 year old office worker competing against some tremendous, young, athletes. I am pretty sure I could have done a lot more weight on the Clean and jerk latter if I hadn't been so focused on getting to a heavy weight (I should have just banged out more reps at light weight instead of giving my self rest -- it would have translated into a higher score).

WOD #1
    12 min time cap
    150m Plate Pinch Carry 25/15lbs
    42 Double Unders
    21 Pull Ups
    30 Double Unders
    15 Pull Ups
    18 Double Unders
    9 Pull Ups

Finished in 09:12

WOD #2
    AMRAP in 10 minutes
    4 HSPU
    8 Squat Cleans 135/95lbs
    12 Med Ball Toss 20/14lbs (10’ target)

Finished with 74 total reps (I am terrible at hand stand push ups!)

WOD #3: Tabata Style
    Ground to Overhead Ladder for Max Load
    Males will start at 115lbs and ending at 275lbs

You must do at a minimum of 1 lift at each bar. It is up to the athlete whether to go for more reps at that station. Score is total load lifted throughout ladder.

3875 lbs

Swim WOD #1
    7 minute time cap
    50 Plate to Overhead 45/25lbs
    150m Freestyle Swim

4:20 - my second best WOD of the comp

Swim WOD #2
    12 minute time cap
    50 Russian Twists 45/25lbs
    50m Freestyle Swim
    50 Air Squats
    50m Kickboard Swim
    50 HRPU
    50m Pull Buoy Swim

6:56 - my best WOD of the comp

Today's workout was:

Pre-Party: 3 Position Snatch (Squat Snatch, Hang Squat Snatch, High Hang Squat Snatch) EMOM for 7 Minutes @ 75% of 1 RM Snatch

@150# - perfect weight. I failed a few attempts but got all the reps properly completed within the duration

Party: Snatch Pulls 5X3 AHAP without losing form

@170#
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 02-12-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Yesterday:

Happy Hour: 10 Rope Climbs

Pre-Party: 3X3 Weighted Pullups + 3X3 Weighted Ring Dips + 3X8 Deadlifts - All movements AHAP

Party: For Reps Complete:

1:00 minute of Wall Ball (20#)
    1:00 minute of Doubleunders
    1:00 minute of Slam Balls (30#)
    1:00 minute of Shoot Throughs

total reps was 138

Today:

Happy Hour: 5 Minutes of Lacross Ball Rolling + 50 Calorie Row
    Pre-Party: Overhead Squats 6X2 - heaviest set was 225# missed 235# by a quarter rep, but still prd my 1 RM by 15#
    Party: 3 Rounds for time of:

5 HSPU
    6 Overhead Squats (@135#)
    50 Doubleunders

**NOTE - Use 60% of your heaviest set of overhead squats for WOD weight.

did it in 8:22

other updates:

about Yohimbine...
    I've had a couple Large DQ Blizzards... and I love it
    ad astra per aspera

Happy Hour: 800 Meter Row + Handstand push ups - 20 total

Pre-Party: 30 GHD Situps + 30 GHD Hip Extensions

Party: EMOM for 7 Minutes complete 1 Clean Deadlift + 1 Low Hang Clean + 1 Jerk @ 75% of 1 RM Clean & Jerk

Started at 185# which was too light - ended at 215# and did two extra rounds
    ad astra per aspera

Happy Hour: 1200 meter row

Pre-party: Press 5x2 (sucky - heaviest I got to was 145x2)

Party: For time complete -
    50 C2B Pullups
    50 Box Jumps (L1 - 20/12); (L2 - 24/20)
    50 Toes 2 Bar (L1 - K2E)

Finished in 15:39 - Man I really suck at toes to bar. And box jumps. And pull ups. My worst performance in months!
    ad astra per aspera

Pre-Party: Fat Bar Deadlifts 5X3 - @215#

Party: 5 Rounds for time of:

7 Handstand Pushups
    14 Jumping Squats (45/30)
    25 Doubleunders

~13:30 - I've gotten a lot better at HSPUs, but still not where'd I like to be. It's good to do workouts like this though
    ad astra per aspera

Update - Tore my right leg's ACL three days after that last post. I'm 14 weeks out of surgery now. My athletic capacity (agility) is greatly reduced (to a 5 year olds?). Been doing pull ups, push ups, bench, bicep curls etc (frat boy workouts) ever since March. I really miss oly and lifting.
    ad astra per aspera

Started a linear bench press program two weeks ago to combine with my scaled crossfit workouts. Here's how it will work:

Week 1: 3s at maximum weight (225#)
    M: 3-3-3-3-3
    W: 3-3-3-3-3
    F: 3-3-3-3-3

Week 2: 6s at maximum weight (210#)
    M: 6-6-6-6-6
    W: 6-6-6-6-6
    F: 6-6-6-6-6

Week 3: 3s @Week1 + 5lbs (230#)
    M: 3-3-3-3-3 (+two sets of two +10lbs)
    W: 3-3-3-3-3 (+two sets of two +10lbs)
    F: 3-3-3-3-3 (+two sets of two +10lbs)

Week 4: 6s @Week2 + 5lbs (215#)
    M: 6-6-6-6-6 + ring dips
    W: 6-6-6-6-6 + hand stand push ups
    F: 6-6-6-6-6 + max effort push ups

(repeat with 5lbs each week until stall, alternating weeks between 3 and 6 reps)

Current goal is to attain a 300lb bench
    ad astra per aspera

Bench Press: 3-3-3-3-3 @230#
    Bench Press: 2-2 @240#

Ice Cream Makers:

^^ I want to get really good at these...

Met with doctor today for my 6 month post-ACL surgery checkin. The graft is apparently "excellent" but I have a lot of scar tissue that is busting my ability to recover. Going to reset my PT routine in hopes of fixing that. Have another appointment tomorrow to do some base line tests to see where my knee is at sports-performance wise.
    ad astra per aspera

After seeing my surgeon for my 6th month checkin it was apparent that the scar tissue in my knee was interfereing with my quad strength and ability to transfer force to them -- causing pressure and force on my knee. So I am working with PT (again) in a basically reset protocol for my knee PT including strengthening and stretching (tearing through) scar tissue. it includes stuff like single-leg box step ups, single leg balancing, etc. It's hard to stay diligent with such stupid stuff when I'd rather be doing squats etc -- just gotta stick with it so that I *can* do squats again.
    Have another appointment in 6 weeks with the surgeon hopefully I can be good by then. (aditionally by then my bench press should be saweet).

Bench Press: 3-3-3-3-3 @230#
    Bench Press: 2-2 @240#

Ice Cream Makers

Something else - I made an appointment with a cardiologist yesterday; (long story) my right ankle has something busted in it - for a long time now it makes a loud, audible pop/click when walking, is loosey goosey back and forth so probably some torn tendon or ligament(s). A partner surgeon to the one that did my knee and specializes in ankles says I'm a cantidate for surgery to "tighten it up" and fix whatever might be wrong and he wants to do an MRI. Before that though he thinks I am at risk for a hereditary connective tissue disorder owing to other physical traits I have (hyper mobile wrists/shoulders, long wing span, pectus excavatum, blood clots after my knee surgery). He wants a cardiologist to check out my heart before proceeding. That appointment happens in a couple of weeks.
    ad astra per aspera

PrimalCon New York
    Well TFC did it again!

z3w0.jpg
    (before surgery)

3m5a.jpg
    (two days after with dressings removed -- putting a cast on)

47tk.jpg

os2w.jpg
    (cast)

(x-rays showing the four pins inserted to stabilize dislocated metacarpals -- these will be removed after 10 weeks)

I dislocated two metacarpal bones in my right hand (tearing the ligaments completely), fracturing one of them while riding a mechanical bull; or more accurately, punching a mechanical bull after being bucked off. There are currently four metal pins in my hand to support my dislocated bones until the ligaments grow back and hold them in place on their own. Also two small nails (or screws?) to reset the fractured end of one of the metacarpals.

I'm in a cast currently and will be until 9/10/2013 when they remove it to take out my stitches which, you can see, are considerable. Now I have a zombie hand to match my zombie ACL-replaced-with-cadaver-tissue knee.

last Wednesday I had surgery on my right paw up in Vail, Colorado (about 2 hours from my house). The good news is that I had an excellent surgeon -- the Steadman Clinic is renowned nationally for sports-specific injuries.

Thank goodness high-deductible health insurance from Blue Cross Blue Shield; my deductible was already met earlier this year with my ACL surgery (which billed the insurance company $50,000).

Bad news is that I was gaining terrific ground on my bench press program and my knee was feeling better. I tried one-armed deadlifts today for the first time - I think that will help a lot - though I am mourning the inevitable atrophy of my upper body.

I would make a great footnote to the Primal Blueprint's "avoid catastrophic injury" tenant.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 08-28-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast