Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tooth and Claw page 2

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Fellow Denver-ite and Fellow CrossFitter a_morgan24 is loving the start of this journal! Besides the diet portion (I cheat. it's ok, you can judge me), we are quite similar with the dog walking/CrossFit combo for fitness.
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion when it comes to CrossFit. Not for everybody but it is for me! I love the workouts, the coaches and the rah-rah aspect. And that I can get my @ss kicked in one hour and be out the door. I cannot do a normal dead hang pullup but I can while kipping and as long as the chin gets over the bar, it does the job! I agree with you, efficiency is key.
    I am a member at a box where they encourage proper range of motion and technique over time any day so injuries are few and far between. I am sure that not all affiliates are as concerned with these principals but I've been doing it consistently for over 2 years with no injury (knock on wood) because of that 'culture'.
    Anyhoo - that's my two cents. I look forward to future posts from you in here and p.s. why did you have to say Snooze?!?!
    Last edited by a_morgan24; 01-21-2011 at 08:12 AM.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    BAM!

Woke up still sick. Yuck.

This morning @8AM was 2 eggs over easy and corned beef & hash for breakfast. Took the dog to the dog park, bought a coffee and delivered to my dad.

Hit up Crossfit at 10 - awesome workout was continuous HIIT for 20 minutes (long story short). A good met con.

Afterward I did 4x5 press @125# - felt super heavy. Not sure if I will hit my next progression at 130# next week.
    Afterward I did 5,4,5 dead lift @324# (heavy!) and then 3x5 @265 (the kind where your hips ache when you drop the bar after a set)
    Then did 4x5 ring pull ups
    Then did 5,4, 5 weighted pull ups (22#) and then 1x4 (@32#)

Just got a text from a probably flake from an online dating website. Man that stuff is so aggravating I don't even know why I bother? Probably just to get myself "out there." TFC needs to go through the motions of courting to keep his muscle memory fresh and synaptically well practiced.

I have a pseudo-complex about approaching women and making them uncomfortable so unfortunately I bring the pitfalls of online dating (flakes, email annoyances, hassle of playing games etc.) upon myself.

-- so she suggested we go for a walk and I suggested city park - she says how about this other park that's closer to my neighborhood? So she already probably thinks I'm a serial rapist -_-. Why can't all the ladies in the world just automagically know what a charming, sensitive, strong, fast cat I am without me needing to constantly prove it? k I'm going to call her and set things straight.

(TFC dials on phone using claws) beep-boop-beep-beep.... beep-beep-beep-boop-boop-beep (talks on phone)

ok - dog walking date in an hour. Man why does this feel like a chore? I bet she can't even dead lift 100#. I'll update this post with a synopsis. $10 my dog is way cooler than her dog.

Just slammed 2x cans of tuna + 1x coconut milk whey protein shake, 2 teaspoons of almond butter

meet up/date thing went well. Had a post game text to the extent "let me know if you want to get drinks next". Couple of things not ideal about the situation:

1.) She's a runner
    2.) She's a vegetarian
    3.) She doesn't look very strong or tough
    4.) Canadian
    5.) Doesn't look that "healthy" (skin, muscles, energy etc)

She does have her master's in engineering though and her dog is pretty cool; on top of that she seems to like me so that means she's smart. Meh. But shouldn't I be super excited for a follow up date? If I'm not does that mean I should skip it? I guess women go out with guys they are ambivalent about a few times before they decide. Maybe I will try that.

I had the opportunity to try that this week when a woman I had emailed two weeks ago asking her for a follow up date (after having a very good first date) returned my message and asked if I would like to go hiking. I told her that I was not interested, good luck in the future etc on account that it took her two weeks to reply to my date request and I thought it was very inconsiderate.

Just keeping it real!

Dinner: 10 eggs w/jalapenos, green chiles. about to have two choco coconut macaroons

edit - TFC ate 4 instead of two. glad it is such a small bag might have eated twenty
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-22-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: macaroons
    ad astra per aspera

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Let's have a picture of Rodeo.

woke up at 1 am this morning on account of a caffeinated green tea I drank at 2:15 pm. Yes that is how sensitive I am to caffeine! Fell asleep again at 4am and had amazing, lucid, tremendous dreams.

Woke up again at 8 and once again went to Snooze and had the same thing I always do: corned beef and hash. Got an extra egg (3) from a nice waitress who knows I don't take toast

Took Rodeo for a long walk and listened to Crossfit Radio pod casts and played some Pac Man

Watched the NFC championship game at a bar - had a steak salad and then a buffalo burger sans buns.

back home from the bar - kinda hungry. I really want to have some fruit but my beloved pears I bought at the grocery store last weekend are still rock hard. so tantalizing. Should I eat them short of their peak or wait or hold out for delayed gratification?

So no workout today; gym owner didn't work out/didn't open it up. probably needed as I am still getting over this cold.

Might be going to a seafood restaurant a friend works at for the second half of the AFC Championship Game. He bar tends on Sundays and gives me super good deals on seafood and paleo-compliant (or nearly) cocktails. E.g. last time I went I ate 2.5lbs of shrimp for $10.
    But he is also a Jets fan and well if they are losing big it might not be such a fun night to go hang out at his bar since he will be upset.

edit:
    Had two glasses of red wine and an order of shrimp for dinner; my friend was not working but off watching his team lose. Still hungry but I probably don't need to eat and it's pretty late.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-23-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Back from Seafood
    ad astra per aspera

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    first, a person is entitled to disagree, even with a certified crossfit coach and/or a certified crossfit idea. crossfit is not the end all and be all of fitness knowledge in the cosmos.

second, i tend to research things pretty extensively before jumping in because i seek to *prevent injury* by doing something ridiculously foolish even if a "certified trainer" tells me that it is not ridiculously foolish. this goes for just about anything. a lot of certified yoga teachers are full of shit, for example. and, i'm perfectly honest enough to say it to a person's face when i think what they are doing is dangerous (for themselves of their students). I can also take the heat if someone dishes it in my direction.

third, i never discouraged anyone else from doing it, only that seeing people doing it (in various videos, including official crossfit ones) and talking to people who do crossfit and/or trainers, i made the decision that i disagreed with certain aspects of crossfit's training process, and that i didn't want to do it. that doesn't mean that another person can't do the same.

finally, one doesn't have to do it to see if it is appropriate for them. it is possible to research and make a reasonable conclusion. i did. i'm perfectly capable of doing so. also, i don't think it's anything like parkour, nor is that an effcient movement. the idea is not to get your chin above the bar at all costs, but rather to get the bar to your chest utilizing the appropriate muscle groups in a successive and compound fashion. proper muscle use, not momentum, is what is efficient in the movement.

in re: dating.

1. to avoid the pitfalls, sharpen your own skills. there are skills to learn, so go and learn them.

2. don't date just because. if you are interested, go on a date. if you are not interested, then just say so. be honest and direct "hey, i know that you are smart, healthy, and your dog is cool, but i'm just not that into you. Good luck, though. hopefully you'll meet the right person soon." or some nicety.

i grant you, people think you are a total bastard for it "he's so mean." but man, does it save time. most guys didn't make it past 20 minutes on a date with me. it's enoguh for me to know if i'm attracted. after that, i would find a way to excuse myself within the hour, tell them i think they are very nice, but it's just not a good fit, and good luck in life. yes, i apparently WAS a bitch. but, bottom line is that i met my husband and figured that out when we were on our fourth date that was over 10 hours long. yeah, go figure.

he makes me bonkers, but he's still a keeper.

Breakfast: 5 eggs + a generous serving of spinach - mixed ; coconut milk whey protein shake
    Lunch: 1/2 rotisserie chicken ; 1/2 serving of black berries
    Dinner: 1 lb grass fed hamburger, onion, swiss chard, yellow curry all mixed together + olive oil

workout:

still feeling sick so I woke up then fell back asleep through the 5:30 am workout
    caught the 5pm instead after a nice long walk with Rodeo.

3x5 Thrusters 145#
    3x5 Cleans 148#
    3x5 Front Squats 165#

1x Tabata between hand stand and plank
    3x5 weighted pull up @22#
    3x5 ring pull ups
    1x4 weighted pull up @32#
    10x ring dips (they bruise my arms. lame.)

Here's Rodeo^^

Today felt very sluggish - what happens after I take a day off the day before. My body just wants to continue to wallow in yesterday. What a difference in my metabolism - I no longer need to eat so much food!

In other news my sister is having trouble taking the PB plunge. Her husband has done very well since the 1st of the year losing weight and feeling great, finding it very easy to follow and enjoying the book. She is still struggling in order to reach ketosis (or even approach it). She is eating a lot of nuts and swigging orange juice in the morning (only 4 oz), extra servings of berries etc. She is also grazing through out the day instead of having larger, more satisfying meals. She also could be eating too much cheese. She drinks white wine many nights. On top of that she has a sore Achilles so has not been keen on sprinting or lifting heavy things.

However she is finally understanding (through constant nagging and emails on my part linking information and forum topics akin to "mistakes people make") that you can't have it both ways: low carb and low fat. I think she will try to commit for a week or two to a diet that is truly primal; very frustrated because she has gained 5 lbs over the past week and is angry with herself/the PB. I'll cover her progress.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-26-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: adding weight used for Thrusters and Cleans
    ad astra per aspera

Exercise:
    TheFastCat got back on the 4:45am wake up routine this morning (90% recovered from my cold). Hit up Crossfit for the 5:30 workout.

148# 1RM snatch 7x1
    As many reps as possible in 2 minutes of 77# snatches = 38

First time doing heavy weight on snatch. The easy part is powering the weight up to chest level - the hard part is throwing myself underneath the bar super quickly to catch it. It will get easier the more I practice. My last two reps felt pretty good -- I just need to get more comfortable with the motions and my form and efficiency will improve. What a challenging and fun lift!

Breakfast: 5 eggs, spinach, coconut milk protein shake
    Lunch: Went to a restaurant called Sweet Tomatoes Big Ass Saladx2
    Snack/pre-dinner: Leftovers from last night (yummmm)
    Dinner: TBD

Have a huge knot on the right side of my middle/upper back presumably from the cleans yesterday. I want tao take a jackhammer and have someone beat the crap out of it until it relinquishes its grip. Muscles in my neck are affected!
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-25-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

i like how the dog is red. i love that color.

and yes, she isn't really doing PB. and therefore she can't get results from it.

PrimalCon New York
    Morning workout: 5:30

1x10 ring dips
    1x10 ring dips with 5 lbs
    1x10 ring dips with 10 lbs

Ring dips give me huge bruises on the side of my arms on account of the ring strap pushing against them. Not cool. It might be because my shoulders are pretty broad and having the rings closer together adds more pressure? Next time I will try spacing out the rings extra far

Three rounds for time of:
    275 pound Deadlift, 10 reps
    50 Double-unders

TheFastCat hates double-unders. If double-unders were a yak or deer or antelope he would tear them limb from limb. But double-unders are like an invisible air demon that cannot be wrestled. Tooth and claw have no effect. I whip the air but it dodges and trips me, slowly draining my energy.

Breakfast: 1/2 rotisserie chicken, 1/2 servings black berries, coconut milk whey protein shake

Still in ketosis and feeling good. Hope for a second workout tonight to do some lifting

Lunch: Salad with steak&Chicken, mixed veggies, tahini sauce x2

Evening workout:

4x5 back squat: 209#
    1x4 Press @131 FAIL
    1x3 Press @131 FAIL
    1x2 Press @131 FAIL

max hang pull ups = 16, 8, 8
    double under work

Back and right sight of neck are all fucked up. Don't have full ROM when turning my head to the right. those cleans a few days ago messed me up big time.

Dinner: Leftovers of dinner last night + 3/4 lb grass fed hamburger + white onion and green chiles
    dessert: 2 teaspoons almond butter + water + 5oz of coconut milk

Contemplating starting LeanGains.com methodology once again. Just need some BCAAs first.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-27-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast