Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Tooth and Claw page 11

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Back from PrimalCon 2011 - was a very good time! Went to sleep last night late and skipped today's WOD which was:

“Eva”
    Five rounds for time of:
    800 m run
    30 kettlebell swing, 2 pood/1.5 pood
    30 pull-ups

Had a good time at PrimalCon - a lot of face time with Mark Sisson which was pretty neat. The whole weekend was structured more towards those that already had the nutrition and information dialed in so there wasn't a whole lot of "101" stuff. The best part was simply being barefoot for 3 entire days, being half naked a lot of the time and being outside ALL DAY. I won't cover the ins and the outs of PrimalCon but if you are a reader of this journal or have specific questions about it I will answer them thoroughly. Additionally if you watch the videos on the main site you can spot me a few times - I'm the one wearing the kilt
    ad astra per aspera

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I KNEW that was you in the kilt! I came here to tell you you're all over the live vlogging updates, but it seems you've already noted this for yourself.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    Aha! Now I know who you are. Cool. Love the journal and the great pics, especially all the sharp incisors.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Not much activity on the journal this week - rest assured however I am still doing my thing. Had a major PR today in Fight Gone Bad:

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. We've used this in 3 and 5 round versions. The stations are:

1. Wall-ball: 20 pound ball, 10 ft target. (Reps)
    2. Sumo deadlift high-pull: 75 pounds (Reps)
    3. Box Jump: 20" box (Reps)
    4. Push-press: 75 pounds (Reps)
    5. Row: calories (Calories)

The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of "rotate," the athlete/s must move to next station immediately for good score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.
    got 317 (three rounds) - my last was 271 I believe; that's a tremendous improvement! go me!

Other news:

- I have picked out the initial modifications I will be making to my car. I am in the process of ordering them now to have shipped to the dealer so that they can install them when the car is delivered. Pretty exciting!

- I will be going to Australia for 2-3 weeks in the next 10 days or so for work. Will be headed to Melbourne - hopefully I can take an extra week off to explore Tasmania while I am all the way down there. I also hope to do a lot of Crossfit while I am down under. How cool would that be?

- Finally today marks the 1 year anniversary of me being Primal! That's 100% kick butt all out effort Primal! I look and feel very healthy -- it's near impossible imagining ever eating bread or pasta again.

Today I took a page (and a lot of motivation) from Chef Rachel who attended PrimalCon 2011 and demoed some of her Paleo recipes. I parboiled probably 4 lbs of veg and made a double batch of her spicy cashew dip. It turned out perfectly and was a lot of fun after I bought some extra kitchen supplies to support the venture. Well I think it's officially time to chow down!

which reminds me to comment on my intermittent fasting routine. It seems as though I have found a comfortable spot for IFing on the weekend and delaying my first meal until about 1pm (even with Crossfit at 10 am). I have been delaying breakfast during the week for longer and longer just to play with the effects. I am now more convinced than ever that we don't need to fear muscle loss when properly keteo adapted; anaerobic sessions are different than met cons or sprinting (of course). That being said, I'm no longer chasing after getting huge and stronger. If I were I would be eating a lot, after every workout. I kind of like the way I feel and perform at my current size and weight. We'll see if this changes going forward.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 04-23-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    ad astra per aspera

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Australia, eh? Wanna stop by Durian Rider's place and kick his ass for us?

PR'd the Randy WOD yesterday:

“Randy”

75 Snatch @75# from the ground for time

4:30 which I am quite proud of.

I have noticed a huge increase in my Vo2 max/oxygen utilization over the past month as I have transitioned more to met cons from heavy lifting. An unexpected consequence is that my WOD times with weight have actually improved; however my 3x5, 5x5 lifts have declined somewhat. The side effect being that I enjoy the met cons more as I can do them better. For instance a WOD on Tuesday was

10 rounds (not for time)

100m sprint
    max push ups
    (rest)

I was able to go balls out on my sprints through out, 100% max effort and was recovered much more quickly than the others in my class and ran much faster. It felt pretty good.

I leave for Australia on Sunday night I hope to continue my training while I am down there. I have contacted a box that quoted me $206 USD for 10 workout sessions -_- ouch. Oh well it will be worth the experience! Hopefully my home box won't charge me for my time away - I need to work that out.

In other news I have been upping the carbs (yams, veggies, fruit) and have noticed a definite increase in my performance and recovery as well as hunger. The more I eat carbs the more I want to eat them. It's interesting that as I eat more of them, fruits that normally tasted like absolute narcotics still taste good but not to the extent of "OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER EATEN". This means I am probably feeding myself PLENTY of carbohydrates. It feels good to be able to recognize the feedback my body is sending me and act accordingly. I don't think many people are able to do that very well which is why there are so many people who are stalled in their weight loss goals. I can't imagine eating things when my body wasn't telling me it needed to for instance. A lot of people still do.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 04-29-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Did Karen today - 150 20# wall balls (rx) - 6:56

ok I'm off to board my planes en route to Melbourne! first a 2 h 30 minute flight and then a 15 h 50 minute flight (!)

I did a lot of deadlifts today in order to try and offset the damage - also today was my 7th day in a row of crossfitting so hopefullly I won't die being so stagnant for the next day. I might have to bust out some air squats on the plane. I packed a spider man lunch box full of paleo noms - cashews, nut butter, 6 cans of sardines, dark chocolate, almonds. I hope the TSA doesn't steal it.
    ad astra per aspera

I am in Melbourne! Did my first WOD today at 12:30 - there were 5 people in my class and all but two of them absolutely smoked me. One woman is going to the Crossfit games and finished in the top 20 of all women in the region (entire continent!). Definitely humbling! But fun!
    ad astra per aspera

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Chelsea

On the minute for 30 minutes

* 5 Pullups
    * 10 Pushups
    * 15 Squats

did 22 rounds - push ups ended me. Nothing you can do when you reach muscle failure but lie on the ground and wait to recover :/
    ad astra per aspera

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast