Thread: am i eating too much fat? page

sandokan2112 is offline Member

am i eating too much fat?

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,
    My body feels ALOT better since ive brought my carbs down considerably.
    At this point my goal is just to stay healthy (maybe even gain 5lbs of muscle)

My only concern is that im consuming too much fat.
    I am 5' 10" and 150lbs. (and i perform 10-15 min of high intesity training 5X week)

I keep my calories around 2200/day , if i go too much lower then that over time i will start to loose muscle mass.

Protein is around 120g/day Carbs anywhere from 100-150g/day
    So im getting roughly 1000calories/day just from protein and carbs.

This leaves me with around 1200 calories from fat (133 gr of fat/day)
    My fat sources are from eggs/meat/avocado/dairy/fatty fish/nuts/seeds/olive oil/coconut oil

I am fairly new to this, so im not sure if im eating too much fat?
    Also i was thinking of consuming more coconut oil (since its the easiest of fats to digest, and easy on the system) in exchange for some other fats, to help me stay withing my caloric needs.
    Thanx

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I am 5'9", 153 lbs, and I workout about 3 times per week. One weight training day, plus two days doing kettlebells and core work. I also do some valet parking which keeps me on my feet and I do some running. I eat around 2000 cals per day, but I think most of mine is fat. I seem to be ok so far. I get more fat than anything else. I have been trying to wean myself off tracking calories to see how I do just listening to my body.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert, but I just read about this in the book. It is outlined nicely in the book.
    If you need 2200 calories then you would deduct the calories from the protein you need for your lbm.
    And then the carbs you eat. Then the rest should come from fat.

So if you're eating 120g of protein = 480 calories
    Carbs - 150g = 600 calories.

2200 - 480 - 600 = 1120 calories from fat.

According to the book, that looks great.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    at 5'10" and 150lbs with the a good chunk of high intensity exercise i would say you can eat a lot more fat...that is if you want to gain muscle mass.

but, i don't see any need for you to change things if you don't have any specific goals. your diet looks pretty good, and your fat is at a pretty good level, between 50 and 60 percent of your daily intake.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I eat fewer than 2000 calories per day (I'm a 130-lb female with a desk job), and I eat about 120g fat/day, so I don't think you're getting too much. Honestly, as long as you're getting enough protein to maintain your body mass, and you're in the carb zone you want to be in, you can't really eat too much fat. It seems like a lot, especially if you've been indoctrinated in the low-fat dogma, but you sound like you're doing okay.

As far as coconut oil goes, if you're eating a lot of unsaturated fats, then, yeah, replace them with coconut oil if you want; otherwise, there's not much reason to replace fat with coconut oil unless it's somehow cheaper/easier/tastier. Personally, I consume almost no coconut oil because it's expensive and my husband takes it as a supplement for his IBS so I don't want to use it up too fast. I do eat coconut milk and meat, but I mostly cook in butter ghee or animal fat I've rendered myself.

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    thanx to everyone for the replies, im glad im somewhat on track :-)

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    This is one of those threads where I can write my answer just be reading the title - no you are not eating too much fat, unless you are living entirely on cream, avocadoes, and lard. MMMmmmm, yum!

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    To the question "am I eating too much fat": as long as your carb intake isn't high also then the answer is always "No".

Jonesy is offline Junior Member
    In my opinion I believe your fat intake is perfectly fine but you need to reduce your training frequency. 5 times a week of high intensity work is far too much. Your body has no time to recover, repair and then build additional muscle. You are overtraining. In conjunction with a reduction in work frequency I would also reduce carbs. Make sure the fewer carbs you are getting are from good sources such as quality vegetables etc. This would, consequently, decrease your calorific intake, therefore producing a requirement for an increase in both proteins and fats in your diet.

I hope this is of any help.

Martin