Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mothers, swing your babies! page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Mothers, swing your babies!

Primal Fuel
    Look at/read this: http://www.dadwagon.com/2011/01/18/d...s-lena-fokina/

Warning: the video within the article may be slightly shocking, it involves the throwing around of a baby, albeit from a mother with practice, but in ways that you probably havenít seen a baby thrown around before. Unless Iím just very sheltered.

Looks crazy right, but it got me thinkingÖ wouldnít Grok moms have swung their babies around, to put them on their back, etc or what have you? They probably werenít all that careful in how they treated their limbs and all. Iím not sure if it makes tougher babies, but apparently there arenít any issues stemming from it either.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I've heard of things like this, specifically a tribe where the mothers will hang their babies upside down by their ankles and give their legs a deep massage every day. This produces kids with long, strong legs who are good at running.

Swinging the baby like that or not, the point is to stimulate the baby's muscles and joints, which we Westerners don't do much of. Parents tend to stick their babies in carriers for hours and give them maybe 20 minutes of "tummy time" a day.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Holy shit, I want to know what they told the doctors for the 8 out of 10 kids who wound up with dislocated shoulders.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    No f-in' way........a few of the moves look ok, but most do not....plus the overdubbed music...removed sound...I saw a crying face on the baby at points.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I've seen these vids, and there's debate as to whether they're for real....

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    I've seen these vids, and there's debate as to whether they're for real....
    the baby does look really odd, but apparently it's some real Russian stuff. The motherland has no patience for weak toddlers.

thepaleochild is offline Senior Member
    I dunno. I mean. I swing my kiddo around. But not that young and for not that long. She started showing interest in being swung around when she was around three months old. She like being swung by ankles, tossed onto my back, flipped around, etc. but we only did it AFTER she had good head control. She's 9 months now and I can swing her onto my back holding her arms then swinging over my shoulder and she'll stay put there. Usually I tie her to me in a mei tai at that point. So yeah, I'm sure many of us "swing" our kids. But the video you shared is a little... weird.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    baby wearing is a cross cultural practice that does everything that this "swinging" claims to do, and it does so without "swinging." the natural movement of a mother wearing a baby or wrapping a baby so that she can wear it, is more than enough movement to develop the muscle tone and neural development of an infant.

and yes, it does so much more quickly than the "20 minutes of tummy time" rule.

this methodology is needless, and i have seen very no evidence of broad use across cultures. i have seen some images of women holding older children (young toddlers) who can walk and hold up their heads held by various limbs on their caregiver's back, shoulders, hips, etc etc. including images of women in africa carrying a child "upside down by the ankle" over her back. knowing my only-worn (no bucket, no swing in the house, no baby saucer, no stroller, etc) and held baby -- except for car seat use -- he is incredibly stronger and more agile than most of his peers.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I think the distinction of wrist/arm versus foot/ankle is an important one.

The brachial plexus is too prone to injury. Been there, done that, seen the injuries. Ditto for little brains.

By the feet and ankles...not a problem depending on what is being done. When my kids were less than one, dh would hold them upside down, then swing them upwards all the while holding their feet, they'd end up standing on his hands or hand.

But freaking all over the place by the shoulders and arms? Nope. It's just a whole different thing.

And the ridiculous claims about 'my kid is so advanced from all this swinging'. I mean really? My kids walked at 8m3w and 9m2w....no swinging. I'm not sure how much earlier kids can actually walk. Or gosh, how much earlier you'd want them to walk.

I suspect that much of the benefit that is seen is simply due to proprioceptive input - which I'll agree is VERY important. Babies need to move to develop optimally, not spend their hours and days sitting in plastic carseats, carried in plastic carseets, sleeping in plastic carseats. They need to have their bodies moved through space...a lot. Wearing baby in a sling/carrier as the caregiver goes through his/her day is a great way to make that happen.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    baby wearing is a cross cultural practice that does everything that this "swinging" claims to do, and it does so without "swinging."
    ITA. hadn't read your post when I wrote mine.

I did just facebook this and ask a friend of mine who is both a scientist and the best, most knowledgeable massage therapist I know. Her response should be interesting....or at least enlightening.

Knowing how easy it is to damage a brain or spinal cord permanently, this just so freaks me out. Ditto for the risk of damage to the brachial plexus as I mentioned before but clearly can't help but mention again

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast