Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feel horrible after drinking coconut milk page

klcarbaugh Guest

Primal Fuel

I guess I never noticed a problem with drinking it before, but today I had a "shake" as a treat a few hours before bed (I was also starving and couldn't cook meat because the kitchen in my dorm was closed). It was ice, 1 can of "light" coconut milk, vanilla extract, and 4 packets of Truvia (just google it yourself). I tried to lay down to sleep about 3 hours later and I was tossing an turning, and then I got a bit of acid reflux. I finally got out of bed after laying down for and good hour and a half because I was very, very hungry again and there was nothing to eat but raw meat in my tiny fridge (which I wouldn't eat) and coconut milk. So... I made myself another smoothie and thought it would calm my hunger enough for me to sleep. More acid reflux, more hunger, etc. I feel awful and it is almost 4AM! I still so hungry and daydreaming (nightdreaming?) about eating nuts and bacon. WTF... I had 13 carbs at the most over a four hour period! The coconut? The Truvia? not enough calories? (after both cans of milk I was at 1850 for the day)

Needless to say, these smoothies are now out for me. Sad because they taste so good.

Oh, and if it helps, I have been eating almost entirely carnivore for the past 6 days. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I never feel this way when eating only meat. Just trying to include a few plants and see how they affect me...

klcarbaugh Guest

This is too much information, I know, but I think it is important. After posting above, I ran to the bathroom and.. ehem... water came out my butt? What is happening? Could I all of the sudden have become allergic to it or something?

Like I said I have had it several times before, and never had any reaction. All I ate earlier today was bacon and grass fed hamburger which was ground fresh two days ago. Can allergens go though your system like that in less than 8 hours?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hope you're feeling a little better - keep drinking water for now!

I don't know how sweeteners "work" as in would that be a sufficient load of carbs to trigger a reaction?

Was there anything suspicious in the light coconut milk? Some brands may add other stuff as they take out the fat - but I presume you're using the same brand you've had before.

I'd suspect that the carnivore/zero carb diet would unintentionally sensitise you to carbs when you reintroduce them, plus with it being a liquid shake it's all come at once (rather than e.g. veggies that need some digestive work doing before the sugar hits).

Is the any info on the web about breaking/reintroducing foods coming out of a strict diet?

Take it easy today...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Ditch the Truvia. You can't have two or more variables and arrive at a valid conclusion. Although there are no natural sugars in CM, I like it just fine the way The Goddess made it.

What's with the "Lite?" They just add water to "regular" to make it more appealing to the uninformed masses. You are informed!

When I get over to Publix, I'll check the label on the brand they carry. I have a sneaky feeling that they up the emulsifier to give the impression of thickness. I don't know if that will show up in any way.

Catalina is offline Member

Ditto on ditching the Lite in favor of regular CM. And 4 packets of Truvia sounds like a lot. I use liquid Stevia in shakes, coffee and tea and only use 1-3 drops. You might want to research that--it's an herb, so it may have an effect in large quantities. Go with OTB's suggestion, though--leave it out, and if that's better, you can try adding it in a little bit at a time.

You might want to get some jerky products to keep around for emergencies.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Yes, I too would switch from "lite" to regular CM. Also, a whole can is quite a bit, especially of regular CM. I can stomach (and enjoy) 1/3 - 1/2 cup at a time, cold and plain, but that's about it. Sometimes I get queasy after about 1/3 cup. I could probably handle more in a smoothie, but still, that's a whoppin' load of fat (healthful, mind, but a lot to digest all at once). Maybe try taking it in smaller doses.

Also, I agree with Cat about keeping jerky around for emergencies. Kippered herring, sardines, nuts (if you eat them), unsweetened coconut flakes, and hard boiled eggs are good too.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

A whole can of non-Lite CM is about 700-850 calories, which equates to over 5-7 tbl's of straight oil. That's a lot of oil in a gulp. Even I don't do that!

shastagirl Guest

just to let u know, coconut has a laxative effect. sooooo.....yeah

maba is offline Senior Member

Yeah, ditch the Truvia. Maybe that could have caused the reaction. Especially if you've had CM in tha past and not had any reactions.

I would avoid any sugar substitute. Although they claim to be zero-calorie, they still trigger insulin response. That said, I still want sugar in my chai, so when I indulge, I use a small amount of raw sugar/ rapadura or blackstrap molasses.

klcarbaugh Guest

The can that I had was just plain coconut, water, and guar gum. There are 40 calories per 1/3 cup, 6 servings per can.

So I had less than 500 calories worth of oil,(in the two cans) not 800.

Yea, it was still probably too much.

I need to keep something that is easy to eat besides jerky that has a larger fat content. Jerky is too lean. Any ideas? I can't keep nuts because I will eat them all at once

The 4 packets of truvia are not pure stevia and didn't taste that sweet. I could have even added more. I have been also using this stuff since it cam out (maybe a once a week basis or so) Oh well, goodbye truvia.... untill the holidays and maybe we can make almond flour things to eat whist everyone is eating pumpkin pie.

I am felling better today, thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast