Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What veggies do you consider non-primal? page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

What veggies do you consider non-primal?

Besides the obvious ones like white/yellow potatoes (although I've heard a few folks say they eat them in small quantities) and corn, what other veggies do you consider non-primal?

I'm thinking about sweeter/starchier ones like carrots, turnips, parsnips, yams, winter squash, etc. Do you eat them? What do you consider non-primal in the veggie dept for your WOE?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I eat everything you mentioned. Corn I limit a lot but I’m actually having some kernels today for lunch mixed with other frozen vegs and I’m not going to exclude them.

White potatoes I eat sometimes, I like the taste but understand they’re inferior to their sweet counterparts or to yams.

All these fit into my life because I like to be active and I like to exercise. I think a person following the primal WOF can do without, if they’re not exercising beyond what the PBF suggests.

I do think that being “scared” of these tubers/starches is a bit silly. In moderation, I can’t see them derailing people’s efforts to lose fat (which is what most of us are after) and may even help if “used” properly, as in, post workout mostly, as a way to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles and have them be ready to lift another day.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    as far as things such as 'carrots, turnips parsnips, winter squash' Mark talks about each of these explicitly ... no reason to think of any of them as non-primal ... ... he talks about Yams too... ...

still...to answer your questions the only 'vegetables' I consider to be not Primal are the ones we all know... Legumes... beans and the like... if you count them as veggies... 0.0

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    one way to look at it....if you were in the forest and came across parsnips and turnips and a lettuce head and collards....which would you pick, the biggest bang for the buck, the starchier roots (i dont think winter squash are primal, werent they made by mixing seeds by us?)

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I think of all plants as primal - they just grow (aside from genetically mutated corn, which is the devil). My qualifier is whether or not it's in line with my goals for the reasons I'm being primal. So yams and potatoes may be natural and primal, but they still have too many carbs for the phase I'm in.

Stryder is offline Junior Member
    carlh...very well put...

stewie97 is offline Member
    corn is a grain, not a veg

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I eat all of those. Corn - fresh corn in season and a few corn tortillas per week. Lots of small, orgainc potatoes.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

janagram is offline Senior Member
    um, green peas, I think are not primal, but...I eat occasionally. and some say green beans, but again...

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You would consider not eating YAMS? Blasphemy!

I loves me some yams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast