Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First "Primal" Road Trip/Weekend Getaway page

First "Primal" Road Trip/Weekend Getaway

Primal Fuel
    Hey there!

I started slowly integrating Primal eating about 6 weeks ago and went 'fully' primal as of the first week in January. I love it! I gained 80 lbs in my pregnancy and for the past 2 years have struggled to get any of it off. I've lost 3 lbs on Primal so far which is nothing short of the greatest thing on earth. I'm sold.

On Saturday, I'm going to Great Wolf Lodge with the family. My partner is on board with primal eating but is *very* easily tempted, so I expect him to carb it up all weekend long...whatever. My daughter is 2 and eats what she is offered.

So here is the question:

What to eat a) on the road when we stop for lunch at the pit stop complex that includes a Wendy's/Tim Horton's, Dairy Queen, McDonalds, pizza place...you get the drift...what is my BEST option? and b) at the Great Wolf Lodge buffet. Not sure if you've been there before but it's a pretty crazy buffet. What do you stick with when you go to eat at a buffet?

I plan to bring snacks but am not nearly efficient enough to pack meals. In total I'll be eating 4 meals 'on the road' and it's VERY important to me that I stay within my 80%...as in I don't want to 'cheat' because none of the foods on offer are worth it to me.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Jess

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Bacon cheeseburger without the bun would probably be your best bet at DQ and McD's (note: this may be flavored by my gluten-free-can't-touch-wheat-in-any-way mentality. They might have something better).

Buffets usually have hunks of meat and butter, right? Some kind of steamed veggie that hasn't been sauced to death?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Raw carrots, celery, cauliflower, avocado and/or already-cooked bacon strips (if you can, for satiety) for the road. Beef jerky (or any butcher- or home-made jerky) for anytime. Nuts and seeds are great on the go. Also, take some tupperware with leftovers for the trip for actual meals.

At the buffet, just do your best to avoid the usual suspects and load up on the good stuff. Do your best to minimize the "damage," but don't sweat it. If you worry too much, what's the point of even going on the vacation?
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Bacon cheeseburger without the bun would probably be your best bet at DQ and McD's (note: this may be flavored by my gluten-free-can't-touch-wheat-in-any-way mentality. They might have something better).

Buffets usually have hunks of meat and butter, right? Some kind of steamed veggie that hasn't been sauced to death?
    Thanks both for the feedback. I'm wheat/gluten intolerant so I need to avoid that in any way too !

billman89 is offline Member
    Wendy's does baked potaoes upon request I believe. Just get some patties, potatoes and call it good!

Quote Originally Posted by billman89 View Post
    Wendy's does baked potaoes upon request I believe. Just get some patties, potatoes and call it good!
    They are a menu item. Ours was out every other time we went.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    If you're gluten intolerant, you'll want to check out the websites for the places along the way for allergen information. I know that wheat products are sometimes used as flavorings, even in things like hamburger patties. Wendy's and McDonald's both have plenty of nutritional and allergen info on their websites.

Also, it's always possible that if you order a burger without the bun, they'll grab an already-made burger and just remove the bun, rather than making you a fresh one, so if you go for that option, you'll want to stress that you have a food allergy and need a burger that has never been on a bun.

Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    If you're gluten intolerant, you'll want to check out the websites for the places along the way for allergen information. I know that wheat products are sometimes used as flavorings, even in things like hamburger patties. Wendy's and McDonald's both have plenty of nutritional and allergen info on their websites.

Also, it's always possible that if you order a burger without the bun, they'll grab an already-made burger and just remove the bun, rather than making you a fresh one, so if you go for that option, you'll want to stress that you have a food allergy and need a burger that has never been on a bun.
    And cooked on a clean spot on the grill. They'll look at you funny, but they'll generally do it.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    on the road: pack a picnic. my husband and i road tripped it a fair bit and would stop at a rest stop and picnic with our healthy foods (this was pre-primal, but we haven't eaten fast food in years). seriously, it's not tough to do. when you are at the lodge, you'll be able to order something "to go" to take on the road with you.

at the buffet: meat and vegetables, leave everything else alone. there might be trace amounts of any number of nasties in them (eg, msg in the seasonings), but at least it fits the primal bill. have some fruit; take a dark chocolate bar with you.

don't worry about the rest.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    The Low Carb Burger at Carl's Jr. It comes wrapped in lettuce.

Just get it without the what-they-call "cheese." It's some kind of Velveeta-ish chemical hell.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast