Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Eating for modest weight GAIN? page

Paulicus is offline Junior Member

Primal Eating for modest weight GAIN?

Shop Now
    Hi,

Any comments or advice on the best way of gaining (a modest amount of) fat whilst eating primally would be much appreciated!

To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with celiac disease a couple of months ago which necessitated major diet changes - the main one being no gluten of course.

I've always eaten fairly healthily, according to CW, and have never been overweight. The coeliac disease (and delay in getting the diagnosis of at least 18 months) and subsequent damage to the gut lining meant that I've not been absorbing what I've been eating for a year or more and am consequently underweight - for twenty years or so I've weighed about 83 Kg except in the last year that has dropped to 75 Kg (or even a bit lower). As I said, I've never had much excess fat and at the moment I look (and feel) ... gaunt is a kind way of describing it, but malnourished is probably more accurate.

I'm also physically quite active and do lots of fast hill walking.

In the last few weeks I've researched food and diet choices like never before and have ended up a firm primal convert. So far, so good (and it makes food shopping so much easier - no need to read very detail on the label to find out if the product contains gluten, I basically dont buy things that NEED a list of ingredients!).

I'm starting to feel better and a lot of the celiac symptoms have disappeared, however ... still underweight, although I expect that the gut lining hasn't yet fully healed so I'm not absorbing at 100% yet), but the last thing I want is to lose MORE weight and I want to stick to a 'fairly' strict primal diet (although a few squares of 85% cocoa dark chocolate each day are included!).

Any tips on how to best do this? I guess I'm not the only celiac that switched to a primal diet?

(I'm 43 by the way)

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    eat more.
    if you consume more energy than your body needs to function, you will gain weight. this can be pretty tough to do while eating primally, so you need to make fat your new best friend. with each gram of fat your are downing 9 calories, which is why it's so easy to stay satiated on the PB. so add more fat wherever you can...butter, oils, etc., and you can probably create a little weight gain with increased carbs too. sweet potatoes are the winner for me, but look at some squashes and fruits too.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Eat plenty of meat. Don't worry about the fat. That seems to be a big hang-up with people that are first coming to Primal. You don't have to eat a stick of butter, but don't be afraid to use it (or your fat of choice) generously. Also, you can add in some starchy carbs from sweet potatoes, winter squash, or even regular white potatoes if you would like to.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Eat plenty of meat. Don't worry about the fat. That seems to be a big hang-up with people that are first coming to Primal. You don't have to eat a stick of butter, but don't be afraid to use it (or your fat of choice) generously. Also, you can add in some starchy carbs from sweet potatoes, winter squash, or even regular white potatoes if you would like to.
    This.

Just eat, focus on happily eating whatever you want (within primal boundaries) and a lot of it. Also, consider some white rice, it's not great at all from a nutritional stand point (and I don't believe it's got gluten...) but it's a great filler and it's good for weight gain. Get plenty of eggs, meat, starchy vegs, stay away from trying to eat low-carb but do make your carb choices quality ones like tubers, starchy vegs, etc.

Oh, dairy too, if it agrees with you. Drink a glass of milk or something post-workout, seems to work for some people (though they drink it by the galon, somehow)

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm totally off dairy, at least at the moment, but have been loading up on the coconut oil...looks like I need to ANOTHER teaspoon of it to the tea I'm drinking! I usually eat, sort of, about, kind of, two apples a day but have been avoiding white potatoes yodiewan - you think it's a good idea to add them back in?

Also, 'organic' local fatty bacon fried in coconut oil (of course) together with a duck egg, every day for breakfast must be helping on the calorie front!

give us a day's worth of food on average...

A day's worth of food, on average..... very much on average as it obviously varies quite a bit. But:

Breakfast - doesn't vary much - Large duck egg, 2 slices thick fatty bacon fried in cocnout oil. Two 'slices' homemade almond nut bread. Often an apple. Herbal tea and supplements (B1, B6, B12, Vit D, Fish oil and glucosamine).

Lunch - very variable - might be soup (yesterday homemade pumpkin and rabbit, sounds very exotic!), or leftovers from evening before. A piece (or two) of 'chocolate' (Coconut oil mixed with cocoa and refridgerated). Salad (greens, carrots, onions etc.)

Evening meal - Meat or fish with vegetables (often baked, boiled or grilled - the veg I mean, haven't got to the raw primal bit yet!). Local organic as much as possible. Usually a piece of fruit (apple or pear), nut recipes from the primal cookbook (e.g. the one pictured with a pecan nut on the top that has to be kept in the fridge or else it falls apart - very addictive!), sometimes more nut 'bread'. Often two or three squares dark chocolate and maybe once or twice a week a glass (or two) of red wine.

Snacks - Nuts and seeds! Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, macademia nuts (as much as I can afford!), almonds, pumpkin seeds all eaten 'raw'. I used to eat a few raisins and dried cranberries as well (homemade trail mix) but had an adverse reaction a couple ofweeks ago which MAY have had to do with the raisins but probably was gluten contamination from something else but am playing safe for the moment.

BTW, I love red wine and would happily drink two to three glasses a day but have been going really easy on this for a while - I get the feeling that at the moment at least, it interferes with all the other, hopefully good, things going on inside at the moment (unfortunately).

It's amazing how quick you go from eating a 'healthy' 'normal' diet (CW approved) to viewing flour and sugar as though they were cyanide products! I don't even like having 'my' products in the same cupboard as such offenders against health!!

Up everything, seems to me you’re under-eating for your purposes. More bacon in the morning, two or three duck eggs instead of one.

Eat meat at lunch, your lunch is pretty “soft” for anybody looking to gain. Become Irish and get your meat and potatoes going. If white potatoes make you uncomfortable, eat sweet potatoes, if sweet potatoes taste too, well… sweet, then eat some bacon with it to balance it out plus up the calories as well.

You don’t have to spend all the time all day eating but you should make your meals count, think meaty and filling. Stay away from “light” stuff like salads, unless you throw a ton of meat on that salad.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulicus View Post
    A day's worth of food, on average..... very much on average as it obviously varies quite a bit. But:
    Breakfast - doesn't vary much - Large duck egg, 2 slices thick fatty bacon fried in cocnout oil. Two 'slices' homemade almond nut bread. Often an apple. Herbal tea and supplements (B1, B6, B12, Vit D, Fish oil and glucosamine).
    What's in your bread? Are you putting anything on your apple? Toss it in the frying pan with coconut oil/bacon grease & a bit of cinnamon.

Lunch - very variable - might be soup (yesterday homemade pumpkin and rabbit, sounds very exotic!), or leftovers from evening before. A piece (or two) of 'chocolate' (Coconut oil mixed with cocoa and refridgerated). Salad (greens, carrots, onions etc.)
    Rabbit is very lean. The coconut oil is the only fat I'm seeing here. What is in your soup? What are you dressing your salad with?

Evening meal - Meat or fish with vegetables (often baked, boiled or grilled - the veg I mean, haven't got to the raw primal bit yet!). Local organic as much as possible. Usually a piece of fruit (apple or pear), nut recipes from the primal cookbook (e.g. the one pictured with a pecan nut on the top that has to be kept in the fridge or else it falls apart - very addictive!), sometimes more nut 'bread'. Often two or three squares dark chocolate and maybe once or twice a week a glass (or two) of red wine.
    I top my grilled fish with coconut oil. What kind of meats? Are you eating fatty red meats, or mostly chicken and fish? Are you adding fats to your veggies? You seem a bit fruit-heavy.

Snacks - Nuts and seeds! Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, macademia nuts (as much as I can afford!), almonds, pumpkin seeds all eaten 'raw'. I used to eat a few raisins and dried cranberries as well (homemade trail mix) but had an adverse reaction a couple of weeks ago which MAY have had to do with the raisins but probably was gluten contamination from something else but am playing safe for the moment.
    BACON . I wonder if pan roasting your nuts for the day in the fat leftover from breakfast would be tasty?

BTW, I love red wine and would happily drink two to three glasses a day but have been going really easy on this for a while - I get the feeling that at the moment at least, it interferes with all the other, hopefully good, things going on inside at the moment (unfortunately).
    I think I'd wait to do this until you've been Primal for a while and you no longer crave sugar or fruit.

It's amazing how quick you go from eating a 'healthy' 'normal' diet (CW approved) to viewing flour and sugar as though they were cyanide products! I don't even like having 'my' products in the same cupboard as such offenders against health!!
    I'm most likely celiac. I don't even let gluten in my apartment at this point. I used to be a HUGE bread fiend.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast