Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil and my Skin page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I've been noticing a bunch of positive changes in my skin since I've started using CO to cook with, and also as a body/face moisturizer:

My skin tone seems better overall, and I've noticed that a bunch of old scars are starting to fade.

Due to chronic youthful over-exposure and burning, I have had what I euphemistically referred to as "freckles" on my back and shoulders...they're also starting to fade.

I went out for a "mega-walk" today, without sunscreen...I expected to be a little burnt. But...not at all. Even my nose. I didn't even have the sharp kind of tan lines that would normally get.

So...I did a little Google-Fu, and found this article:

http://www.heall.com/body/healthupda...oconutoil.html It was kind of interesting to find out that unsaturated fats can cause UV-related skin damage:

"In the l960s, Hartroft and Porta gave an elegant argument for decreasing the ratio of unsaturated oil to saturated oil in the diet (and thus in the tissues). They showed that the "age pigment" is produced in proportion to the ratio of oxidants to antioxidants, multiplied by the ratio of unsaturated oils to saturated oils. More recently, a variety of studies have demonstrated that ultraviolet light induces peroxidation in unsaturated fats, but not saturated fats, and that this occurs in the skin as well as in vitro. Rabbit experiments, and studies of humans, showed that the amount of unsaturated oil in the diet strongly affects the rate at which aged, wrinkled skin develops."

So, it would appear that the recent push for everyone to substitute UFAs for saturated ones, has also driven the need for all the sunblocks CW advocates <insert X-Files theme here>. I am not a conspiracy theorist for the most part...but it does seems as though there&#39;s a lot of money being made here by lying to people.

There&#39;s a lot of other cool stuff in this article, as well...Thoughts?

maba is offline Senior Member

I remember reading an article, most likely here, about sunscreens actually damaging the skin/ causing skin cancer rather than preventing it.

Good to know you&#39;ve been seeing positive changes in your skin Kuno. Even I feel like my stretch marks are becoming light.

How&#39;s the knee doing? Hope you&#39;re not in pain.

maba:

Well, the knee feels better- much less pain. The doc has me on 30 minutes of high-rev stationary bike, plus 3X15 individual leg presses daily. Seems to be helping.

I can&#39;t do squats, but she said I could do all the upper-body I want (so I am). I&#39;m going to try and salvage the cardio workouts by making them into a series of sprints (hey! I&#39;m on the bike, so...)

We&#39;re making it work :-D Thanks for the support!

eero Guest

Interesting. Do you use CO as a moisturizer as well? Or just for cooking?

I use CO every day. Love it!

eero,

Both ;-)

62shelby Guest

I have been using CO as a moisturizer for a few months now and noticed the same thing. G/f&#39;s that havent seen me in a while have been commenting on my skin, and I also noticed that my skin isnt as greasy, in fact its quite matt from using the CO. interesting about the freckles. and like you kuno I havent been using sunscreen at all and have not been getting burnt, even with just CO on my face.

Katt is offline Senior Member

The sunscreens don&#39;t cause the cancer, I think. What they do is block only one spectrum of the UV light. The one that burns the skin. But it&#39;s the other spectrum that causes the melanomas and the sunblocks don&#39;t stop those.

I have read that more saturated fat in the diet leads to fewer signs of aging. I&#39;m so going to cook with CO this morning!

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Yep, I&#39;ve been ingesting lots of coconut oil for a few months now, as well as using it on my face before I go to bed. I haven&#39;t been burnt at all, even though I&#39;ve had quite a bit of strong sun exposure. I usually have several peeling-nose phases per summer, but not this time.

Annika is offline Senior Member

If you have long hair, CO is great to put on the ends of your hair to prevent damage. You can also apply it to the whole length of your hair (from the ears down or so) and leave it on for a couple of hours before you shampoo it out. A little is all you need: scrape some out of the jar with your fingernail, melt it between the palms of your hands and rub, then smooth it on to your hair. Smells great too!

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Katt is offline Senior Member

I imagine that most saturated fats will give your skin this kind of moisture. I read an article once where an older woman, who apparently didn&#39;t have much in the way of wrinkles, attributed it to the lard she cooked with.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast