Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commercial mayonnaise (oil)? page

howzat117 is offline Junior Member

Question Commercial mayonnaise (oil)?

Primal Fuel
    Been a follower of these boards and MDA for a while and have had great success so thought was time i started posting!

Was in the supermarket (UK) today looking for a mayonnaise for lunch to buy - i usually make my own or just use EVOO on the salad, but had a craving for mayo today so went to buy some. there is quite a few different types/brands etc, but it looks like they were made from one of three oils: rapeseed (canola?), sunflower, and soybean (hellmans).

of course none of these are good choices, but my question is if one was to buy any, which would be the lesser of evils in terms of oil used? also there was a cold pressed rapeseed oil brand - does that make a difference?

many thanks in advance - apologies if this has been answered before!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    None of the three is a good choice. When I want conventional mayo, i use Hellmans (known as Best Foods here). Only about 3 tablespoons a week. Yes, a cheat, I know. Nothing else tastes like mayo to me. If i am going to cheat, might as well enjoy it. No doubt I will get flamed for this post.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    If I felt like I needed to charge some mayo to my 20% and given choice of those oils I'd go with the sunflower.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If I had to place those in order, it would look like this:

1. Sunflower seed oil
    2. Soybean oil (a VERY distant second)
    3. Canola oil

I, personally, wouldn't touch canola oil -- I can always expect an upset stomach (as well as acne on some occasions) when I eat something made with it.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Not from me, you won't. This is a question I have also... I understand that seed-oil PUFAs are high in Omega-6, and that hydrogenated PUFAs are bad for the heart, but I forget the other objections. I definitely include Mayo in my 20%, and I don't feel guilty about it. At least it doesn't have sugar or gluten in it? Perhaps someone can remind me all the other ways it is evil?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    KRAFT just released an olive oil-based mayo (it still has other bad oils, but olive is used first).

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I think sunflower is your best choice out of those... but none are really a good choice, as you know, so if it were me I'd go with whichever one tastes best since you won't be using it often. I recently tried a pricey mayo that I think was fortified with some omega-3... but I really didn't like it, so the next time I just bought a jar of cheap canola oil mayo that I knew I would enjoy, since I use it less than once a week. (I'm gonna try making my own soon.)
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    KRAFT just released an olive oil-based mayo (it still has other bad oils, but olive is used first).
    I saw that last time I was mayo shopping... I'm impressed that olive oil is listed first, but then they add more sugar and "modified food starch" than they do in plain mayo, to the point where there are 2g of carbs per serving. And there are a few more random chemicals that I'm assuming are preservatives.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Kitty is offline Member
    I have to steer away from shop bought mayo otherwise I will clean out the whole jar within a couple of days with some cheese [a whole block] and usually some white baguette.

I have to make my own mayo which I must say, recently, is tasting utterly, utterly rank*

I wish I had more self control

*those outside UK; rank mean utterly disgusting. Akin to eating ones own socks after a hearty run.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    I saw that last time I was mayo shopping... I'm impressed that olive oil is listed first, but then they add more sugar and "modified food starch" than they do in plain mayo, to the point where there are 2g of carbs per serving. And there are a few more random chemicals that I'm assuming are preservatives.
    Yes, you are totally right! I had the same reaction. I'd still rather make my own, but it does seem to be one of the "less bad" commercial options.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast