Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red marks left after Accutane - advice? (Pictures included) page 2

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you all for the replies!

I know that Accutane has been scrutinised in the media, and for good reason; it's a powerful drug. But my acne continuously worsened every day, and I had to take the plunge. I'm glad I did, considering my situation.

I was part of an interview along with my friends in this video here (very first person):

http://www.thesite.org/drinkanddrugs...legalequalsafe

You can REALLY see how noticeable the marks are on the side of my face. There are potholes, and the marks themselves are too red. Obviously, they're not stopping me from appearing on a video filmed in glorious HD, but it's obvious that I want to be rid of the things (hence the thread).

I take 5000iu of Vitamin D and eat coconut oil every single day without fail. My skin itself is nowhere near as oily as it used to be (Accutane may have a partial role in this, but to be fair my skin was actually at it's worst when it was particularly dry). No dairy, no grains; no other common culprits that I'm aware of.

It'd be a huge step up if I can actually just blend the marks in to match my skin colour. Obviously inflammation has a huge part to play in all of this, but I'll try out some of your suggestions!

@QuirkyPixy - Wahey! Another Champloo fan!

acneperfect is offline Junior Member
    Acne can be one of the most disfiguring diseases commonly facing adolescents and adults in America. Many acne sufferers find themselves wondering, "Why me?" Even people who wash often, practice good hygiene, and use moisturizers often find themselves victims of this malady. For such people, the causes of acne become a serious concern and major puzzle. Even more important for acne sufferers is finding an effective acne treatment to combat the scourge. A brief look at acne causes and effective acne treatment may help these hapless souls.

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    i tried accutane as well you should really REALLY get your diet dialed in 100 percent because unfortunately those megadoses of retinol seriously mess up the digestive system sometimes so just be safe...other then that supplement wise what pixy said was perfect except vitamin E is also something good especially topically if youre looking for healing good luck!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Dandelion tea will do the trick. Three or four cups a day. No joke.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Bananabonobo is offline Senior Member
    i had a lot of scars fade when i got some summer sun and let time do the trick. if you're in britain it might be worth regularly visiting a dreaded tanning booth... if you make sure first that it's the right spectrum. also i stopped scrubbing more than once a week or so to avoid irritating everything and causing an overreaction. (i'm all for the "expose new skin cells" and all that, but i think you should allow some recovery time... not unlike days of rest after sprints!)

also... i'm with you on standing up for the accutane - i tried all sorts of diet changes and they didn't work to get rid of it (although they do work now post-accutane to maintain happy skin). a necessary evil for some of us, i think - kind of a nuclear option but sometimes that's called for after everything else fails. not everyone's born with perfect primal blueprint DNA and maybe we needed a boost

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    I just saw a commercial where this drug was recalled/taken off the market.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

KG
    Oh wow, I actually searched for this topic in my post history by chance today because I wanted to try some other things to help with the marks! They've improved a lot, but there's some days where they're a lot redder than usual and I can't seem to tell why.

I've ordered some emu oil and Vitamin C (with Rose Hips) and am already taking Zinc Gluconate (50mg a day, is 100mg safe to try?), Vitamin D (10,000iu a day) and Magnesium Citrate (400mg a day).

Honestly, I really wish that I wasn't forced to take the drug; the choice was 100% mine, but my acne was so severe, cystic and painful that I felt completely shunned everywhere. This all stemmed from a big sleep problem that I still need to fix, but there was no way that I could sniff it out when my self-esteem was utterly destroyed. Accutane has given me a second chance, regardless of whatever side-effects it may have had on me, and I'm thankful for that chance because now I can focus my attention on restoring myself.

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Lol, I'm with QuirkyPixy. An acne.org'er and I too think that Samurai Champloo is absolutely excellent! Watched it twice

That aside, I've just waited for my red marks to disappear. It takes quite a while, but it does happen.
    I use Dan's BP (benzyol peroxide) and his AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) too. Just at night - not too often during the day. I think BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acid) is supposed to be helpful for red marks too.

KG
    I friggin' love Samurai Champloo; I'm planning on rewatching it soon, right after I catch up on 30 Rock!

Time definitely has helped me so far, I must say. I'm a lot more confident in going out without feeling so self-conscious now. The marks are barely noticeable in some pictures because they tend to look similar in colour to the rest of my skin as opposed to red and inflamed in others. I just need something to soothe it and all is well (fingers crossed for the emu oil!)

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Um, I used to be coated in a layer of red boils, too. Putting things on your skin is pointless. Get more herbs, eat raw mint, green tea, green apples, dandelion, things like that. Seriously. Junk you put on top of the problem is just snake oil and a temporary fix. You've got to get to the root, the internal inflammation and bacterial havens.

On the dark side, if you wanted to create boils on my body, just feed me soybean oil, high-fructose corn syrup, refined white flour and hydrogenated oils. *poof*, instant pus party. As of now, I might have one tiny zit per week.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12