Thread: Odd experience fasting, difficulty losing weight - not as "off" glucose as I thought? page

Mad_Fatter is offline Junior Member

Odd experience fasting, difficulty losing weight - not as "off" glucose as I thought?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm trying my best to lose weight - or rather the rest of it. Having started off at about 225 pre-paleo, I made it down to 155. I accomplished this by going on a very low-carb diet, indeed, I had to. So much as even a kiwi or two would shut down my weight loss and kick in the water retention. I had a very easy (in terms of physical labor) job at the time, and so it was very easy to make sure that I wasn't eating to much or too far unbalanced with my macro ratios. I knew I only needed about 84 grams of protein a day, and 161 grams of fat a day, so long as I stuck with that, no problem. Then, around the 160 mark, weigh loss began to slow, as was expected, and I was stuck with a moderate spare tire, but nothing that endangered my health or was that noticeable

Fast forward to three months ago: I had been rock steady at 155 for months, and then I started a moderately physically demanding job full of hours of low-level cardio and a good deal of lifting. If I don't eat a lot of fat and meat at work, I can literally feel my limbs and body in general starved for energy, so I have now the tendency to kind of stock up. I almost have to eat regular meals (as in breakfast and lunch) at set times, because my body just can't produce enough energy on its own to make work bearable.

Usually, I eat about 3 tablespoons of coconut oil in addition to a pork chop, or any combination of meat equivalent for breakfast. Then at lunch, a big wad of butter, sometimes more coconut oil cheese, another slab of meat and maybe some non-starchy veggies. When I get home, I have a huge urge to snack, which usually has me taking in about 30 almonds or so and a can of sardines and some shredded coconut. I probably shouldn't eat this much after work, but my craving is pretty massive.

So, I'm dedicated to getting the last remaining fat off of what's left of my gut, but I seem to be getting nowhere. Actually calculating how many calories I burn at work is impossible, and I seemingly can't rely on hunger in terms of figuring out what I actually "need" and don't. If I stick to fat and meat, I shouldn't be opening up my fat cells for triglyceride storage, IIRC so long as I'm not eating too much protein.

Could it be that even the low, low carbs from nuts I ingest after work that are keeping me where I am?

I've started to sprint twice a week now in an effort to kickstart weight loss. I've also tried fasting.

Last night, my fasting experience kind of freaked me out. Firstly, my heart rate went down to the low 50's, my resting rate is usually 60-65, as well my body temp dropped. Not only could I not seem to get warm no matter what I was wearing or the amount of tea I drank, but my body temp went down to 35.4 c (normal is 36-38, with me usually being at 37)

Instead of being fueled by my fat stores, I had zero energy, a telltale sign that my body was prefering to store rather than use up my fat/dietary energy. I carried this through until morning and resumed eating again, felt better, and am not looking forward to my next fast. Any advice? thanks!

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to do IF, then I personally find it easier to start right after dinner. If you have dinner at 6 or 7, and don't eat until 10 or noon the following day, that's a 16-18 hour fast already done for you.

That's all I have to offer, unfortunately.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    At this point you may actually want to up your carbs to 50-100 grams a day. Anyone doing as much physical work as you do is going to need more carbs--and it sounds like your body needs a metabolic boost. Grok didn't eat a carb-free diet!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Oy, I see a lot of desperation and doing way too much here.

I don't think you should be sprinting twice a week, that's for starters, especially given your VLC style of eating. If you're working a physically demanding job, and sprinting, and not eating any carbs, my guess is your body/muscles are depleted of glycogen and you're dong nothing at all to help that (because you're not eating any starches/tubers.. you're not eating any primal carbs basically) However, I'll admit to this: I am not fully versed on how or if the body is able to produce it's own glycogen, I know there's such a thing as gluconeogenesis (production of glucose but not from carbs) but I don't know if this process is a sustainable one, or one suitable for YOUR lifestyle demands (ie: your physical activity at work)

Also, what's with people eating "wads" of butter? why are you consuming so much coconut oil? I'm all about coconut products, but there is such a thing as moderation. Maybe you should consider the calories that you're ingesting through those two alone.

I know there's a divide here between people that think you can eat all the fat in the world and as long as you don't eat any carbs you shouldn't gain weight and should actually lose it (you're in this camp, from what I can gather) and those that think that while this is somewhat "true" there is still a need to moderate your intake of fat, ESPECIALLY once you're in those lower body fat ranges. You simply can't eat at 155 like you were eating at 200. Dial down the butter some, maybe reconsider your excessive intake of coconut oil. Calories matter.

I am not going to say you're eating too much, I don't think you are, but I think you're ingesting calories from fats when you should instead shift your focus to muscle proteins (as in, hungry? eat more meat, yeah you can have some butter with it, but make it sensible, don't eat mounds of butter to me that just doesn't make sense)

Consider also taking in some carbs in the form of tubers, your muscles may be starved of THEIR preferred fuel source, we've had a couple of VLC eaters here switch to some moderate carb intake and reporting only good things like improved energy, better performance when lifting (your job requires lifting) and even some positive changes in body composition. Unless you have some other reason for monitoring your carb intake like blood sugar issues, give eating carbs some thought. It wouldn't have to be a lot, I'm talking a sweet potato maybe twice a week, don't be scared of that.

Lastly, I think your focus should be on meat first, fat second and veggies third, visibly I mean, as in, when you look down at your plate, you should see a big piece of meat, whatever assortment of veggies you like, and whatever fat you used to cook the meat and veggies and whatever naturally occurring fat is on the meat. This might still end up breaking down to more fat by % which is obviously fine by our standards.

I just think your attempts to over exercise, fast, and eat less are a big big problem. Also, if fasting makes you feel bad, stop fasting.

I work a stupid desk job, so I can fast until 1pm everyday because I'm not lifting anything other than my ass off my desk a few times a day to walk to the printer. If I worked a more physically demanding job, or a very physically demanding job I most likely wouldn't fast and I would eat accordingly.

I hope this helped.

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Oy, I see a lot of desperation and doing way too much here.

I don't think you should be sprinting twice a week, that's for starters, especially given your VLC style of eating. If you're working a physically demanding job, and sprinting, and not eating any carbs, my guess is your body/muscles are depleted of glycogen and you're dong nothing at all to help that (because you're not eating any starches/tubers.. you're not eating any primal carbs basically) However, I'll admit to this: I am not fully versed on how or if the body is able to produce it's own glycogen, I know there's such a thing as gluconeogenesis (production of glucose but not from carbs) but I don't know if this process is a sustainable one, or one suitable for YOUR lifestyle demands (ie: your physical activity at work)

Also, what's with people eating "wads" of butter? why are you consuming so much coconut oil? I'm all about coconut products, but there is such a thing as moderation. Maybe you should consider the calories that you're ingesting through those two alone.

I know there's a divide here between people that think you can eat all the fat in the world and as long as you don't eat any carbs you shouldn't gain weight and should actually lose it (you're in this camp, from what I can gather) and those that think that while this is somewhat "true" there is still a need to moderate your intake of fat, ESPECIALLY once you're in those lower body fat ranges. You simply can't eat at 155 like you were eating at 200. Dial down the butter some, maybe reconsider your excessive intake of coconut oil. Calories matter.

I am not going to say you're eating too much, I don't think you are, but I think you're ingesting calories from fats when you should instead shift your focus to muscle proteins (as in, hungry? eat more meat, yeah you can have some butter with it, but make it sensible, don't eat mounds of butter to me that just doesn't make sense)

Consider also taking in some carbs in the form of tubers, your muscles may be starved of THEIR preferred fuel source, we've had a couple of VLC eaters here switch to some moderate carb intake and reporting only good things like improved energy, better performance when lifting (your job requires lifting) and even some positive changes in body composition. Unless you have some other reason for monitoring your carb intake like blood sugar issues, give eating carbs some thought. It wouldn't have to be a lot, I'm talking a sweet potato maybe twice a week, don't be scared of that.

Lastly, I think your focus should be on meat first, fat second and veggies third, visibly I mean, as in, when you look down at your plate, you should see a big piece of meat, whatever assortment of veggies you like, and whatever fat you used to cook the meat and veggies and whatever naturally occurring fat is on the meat. This might still end up breaking down to more fat by % which is obviously fine by our standards.

I just think your attempts to over exercise, fast, and eat less are a big big problem. Also, if fasting makes you feel bad, stop fasting.

I work a stupid desk job, so I can fast until 1pm everyday because I'm not lifting anything other than my ass off my desk a few times a day to walk to the printer. If I worked a more physically demanding job, or a very physically demanding job I most likely wouldn't fast and I would eat accordingly.

I hope this helped.
    +10
    Strength and Honor