Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P90X Primal?? page

MikeGP Guest

Hey guys, like many of you i do P90x...ive been doing it for 4 months with very good results. But since reading MDA, Fitnessspotlight and other Primal lifestyle blogs, they all recommend to keep your intense, strenght workouts short, 20-30 minutes. As you know, P90X is about 75 minutes when doing weight training, and 60 minutes when doing Plyo etc...

IS this too much for the primal lifestyle? have any of you made modifications to P90x? i want to keep doing it...but maybe less is more??? Any suggestions?

thebkon Guest

The average workout video is under 60 minutes (with the 90 minute yoga routine being the exception). This total takes into account the 5+ minute warm up and the 5-10 minute cool down.

If you want to cut the time down do half of what is recommended but with a more intense effort. In each video, Tony normally repeats sets of 3-4 exercises twice. i.e. "Chest and Back": all 12 moves (including the 3 bonus moves) are repeated once. Just do the 15 moves once but push yourself and fast forward through the water breaks if you think you can. This will give you the same workout but not put your body out of the Primal zone.

Just my two cents, if some one can back me up or correct me, I would appreciate it

MikeGP Guest

Well i meant 75 minutes including the 15 minutes of Ab Ripper X....I mean, i dont mind doing the whole workout....i actually enjoy it...I just dont want to be putting extra stress hence slowing my progress.....

tman Guest

If you really want to go primal try lifting some rocks and trees and digging ditches and throwing spears. No really, the higher the intensity the less time you can really exercise-just increase the intensity if you want to decrease the time. Eventually it comes down to recovery-are you recovering from your workouts. If so, great. If not, I think cutting down the volume and increasing the intensity is a good idea. Sometimes you have to cut down both. Never be afraid to modify your workout-P90X does not have the secret to effective exercise. They have just created a generally effective system that you can plug in to. If it is working for you keep it up-especially if you enjoy it. If it starts to give you diminishing returns-sore joints, muscles that stay sore all of the time, reduced enthusiasm-then it is time to make a change.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I am finishing my 8th week of P90X and I am burnt out! I will finish the remaining 4 weeks because I committed to it and I want to see what kind of results I can get by finishing the whole thing. But I will not be sad when it's over. I have only been primal eating for 1 week and I timed it so I started during P90X recovery week. I am interested to see what happens energy wise next week when I hit it hard again.

T

Anonymous Guest

diabetes - i'm burned out, too. I'm taking a few week break before I start phase 3.

I'm no expert, but I think there's a difference between someone like Mark, who's just trying to maintain, vs someone that wants to gain more muscle mass.

I don't really live in an area where finding random things to lift is that easy. There's a big park by me, but things are either too heavy or too light. It's picked over pretty well. There's some more skeevy parts of the park that might be of more help, but, well, when there's condom wrappers all over the ground and random dudes just standing around, I tend to avoid that part of the park.

I've generally found that I'm to the point that I want more than what p90x has to offer, but I still think it's a great place to start. It's one thing for someone that has been doing various fitness related things for the past X years and say 'you can lift rocks' - sure, you can, but figuring out the different types of real lifts will be beneficial, as well.

tman Guest

I was just kidding about lifting rocks and such. I personally like to mix slow training with machines- 1 set to failure, with more traditional strength training like squats, presses, rows etc-5X5 and no failure. I definitely periodize the traditional stuff-It is very hard to squat hard all of the time. this seems to work well for me and I can modify the program when I feel like I'm not recovering-drop one of the workout days or decrease the intensity of the 5X5 work for a workout or two.

MikeGP Guest

My only doubt is that are the strenght training workouts too long? 50 - 60 mins weights, + 15 mins abs, 6 days a week (3 cardio 3 strenght training). Should we keep it up like that, or by only doing 30 mins we can get better resutls? I dont mind doing the full workout, i just want to be sure im getting the most out of the time im spending working out.

tman Guest

That depends, in my opinion, on what kind of strength training you are doing. If you are doing free weight compound exercises, like squats and deadlifts and such, it takes more time to warm up and, I feel, it is better not to train to failure. So you can do more sets to fatigue the muscles. It naturaly takes longer to do this type of workout. Esentially your "intensity" is in the form of a higher volume. If you do a high intensity set to failure (or close to it) you don't need to do the volume. The problem is doing this type of workout is very taxing if done too much (2-4 times per week) and is really easy to burn out on mentally. This is why I only do it once per week (takes about 20 minutes to do a full body routine), and do a higher volume workout two other days in the week (takes about an hour to do a full body routine). If you do a lot of weight training, be very very careful about doing high intensity cardio. You will burn out if you do it too long!! Periodized routines works very well for the volume stuff. The high intensity, failure training is not periodized by definition-it is always done hard.

thebkon Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

MikeGP,

I found that when I was doing (or trying to do) the whole video, I was burning out and out need to skip a day some times.

I switched to 30 minute sessions (memorized what each move was and did them all with high intensity and in quick succession and I found the results to be very positive. I was not as sore, I felt stronger, I was seeing a better physical result.

In total, if you are cutting back to 30 minutes, up the intensity (pump out more reps, add on more weight) and you will not lose out. That said I am not sure about plyo, kenpo, core etc and if you can cut back on time as much (maybe plyo and core over kenpo) but, you can use them mentally of ways to "play" and not look at it as a grueling 60 minutes of working out. I hope you are only doing ab ripper after the resistance routines. 15 minutes of that once a week is brutal enough never mind 3-6 days a week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast