Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So utterly confused! New diagnosis of hypothyroid - Thytrophin pmg and Synthroid?? page 2

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    1. get at least 200 mcg selenium day
    If that helps with Hypothyroid, would it bad for me to eat so much selenium if I am Hyperthyroid? I noticed I eat a loooooooot of selenium rich foods. More than 200% the RDA.

Also, did they check you for thyroid antibodies? That would indicate Hashimoto's which you need to treat differently. And reverse T3, which could tell you if you're converting your T4 to RT3 instead of T3... which is a different issue as well.
    Really? When there are antibodies, it's Hashimotos? I did have antibodies, but my diagnosis was Grave's disease.

Oh, if it matters: after one month of 40mg Methimazole:
    Code:
    TSH        < 0.02 (L)     RANGE:  0.27-4.20 UIU/ML  
    Free T4      0.95         RANGE:  0.90-1.70 NG/DL
    T3 Total   161.7          RANGE:  80 - 200 NG/DL
    TSI          3 (H)        RANGE: <= 1.3 TSI Index
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-13-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    Step 1: Get complete thyroid testing. The TSH test alone is not enough to figure out what your thyroid issues are. TSH is a hormone put out by the pituitary gland. It can indicate thyroid problems, but it doesn't give even a semi-complete view of the whole shebang. You need to also get your Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3 and thyroid antibodies tested. It will make a BIG difference on how you get treated.
    <snip>
    For example, you could have enough T4 in your system ( that's what synthroid is... T4), but... your body needs to convert that T4 into T3 which is the "usable" thyroid hormone. If you're having a conversion problem, then getting more T4 won't help. You need T3 (cytomel is the pharmaceutical version of that).
    This is precisely what is going on with me. My body is making T4 just fine, but the problem is that I'm not converting to T3 well.

FINALLY I found someone who knows what the hell they are doing, after multiple attempts over the years to get this thyroid thing straightened out ("Your TSH is normal. You are not hypothyroid." -- GAH!)

My naturopath put me on selenium, and it's working great. It was as simple as that (for me). I have eyebrows now! WooT!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12