Thread: brewers yeast page

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

brewers yeast

i saw brewers yeast made from beets the other day at the store...checked the nutrition label and it looked pretty impressive....anyone know anythign about this stuff?

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a link or something?

Yeast are little living creatures.... so they can't be "made from beets" any more than you could find a puppy made from beets or a cactus made from beets (why on earth are those the first two living things that popped into my head?).

Anyway... maybe this was something that can be used for brewing beer instead of yeast? What would you be using it for?
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

bump....

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully someone with some personal experience will be respond, too, since I don't know much.

It sounds like they've fed the yeast beet sugar... which is probably good, since I'm sure some of whatever they feed the yeast hangs around when they "harvest" them, so if they've fed them refined sugars or brewing by-products YOU would end up eating some of that, too.

I was a little worried about the word "debittered" in their description, so I looked it up... turns out they take old/used yeast, make the liquid they're in more alkaline, and mix it with a detergent for a few hours. That makes it sound creepy, but the yeast actually come out healthier (or at least better able to brew beer) after it's done to them... and it looks like all brands do it anyway so there's no escaping.

So in my barely-educated opinion, if it fills some nutritional need(s) for you, go for it. It certainly has a lot of B vitamins!
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    interesting, well i was just gonna throw it in sauces and dips but then saw the glutamate content and went MSG searching and found this and it said that glutamic acid wont cross the BBB in excessive amounts, just what is needed to form GABA:

Dulse, which is a seaweed and a glutamate source. In fact glutamate is naturally found in many foods including animal products such as meats and milk, fruits and vegetables. For example spirulina and spinach, which are also found in their product.