Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone else notice less desire for alcohol on primal? page

Sally is offline Member

anyone else notice less desire for alcohol on primal?

Primal Fuel
    So I know a lot of people on the forum don't drink much, if at all - this is addressed to those who do.

I'm pretty much a lifelong (well, adult life anyhow) wine drinker. I love red wine, especially with meals. I am trying to figure out if primal is what is making alcohol less palatable. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm having side effects if I have a glass of wine, it's just that it doesn't seem to be as delicious as it once was. And where before, a nice full-bodied glass of red would be enjoyable all on it's own, now wine without food is just blah.

For me, this is probably a positive thing - I keep hearing women should stick to only a single glass of wine a day, and it's easy for me to be at 2-3. But that doesn't stop me from being curious as to whether this is one of those positive side effects of getting rid of sugar and grain.

Anyone?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I have definitely experienced a HUGE decrease in desire, and in palatability. *Shrug* I wonder why?
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Yup. I think it is an example of reduced carb craving. I have drastically less desire for anything simple sugar-ish.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I've only been at this a week so I can't comment on that but I just had an interesting experience today. Last night I had company over and we had a few glasses of wine. This morning I woke up with a splitting headache. My first hangover. I've never had one before even after serious overindulgence, though I don't tend to drink sweet cocktails since they always gave me headaches within a couple hours. I did generally drink a little wine with dinner most nights before starting PB so I'm a bit of a veteran drinker. I wonder if my body's starting to adjust.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    It's the body's adjustment to the sugar load! As a veteran wine drinker myself, and knowing a few die hard alcoholics..alcohol is a quick little "sugar boost"...it has to do with chemicals in the brain..Dopamine and something else.(anyone who has the study please chime in!)...when alcoholics can get the sugar cravings under control..sometimes with medication..they can kick the booze. AA meetings are filled with chain smoking, donut eating, sugar laced coffe drinkers!!
    So, yes, there is some odd adjustment that happens, I have never been a fan of sweet drinks after just 1, I dont drink liquor usually, and although I LOVE my dark beers, they are indeed "Bread in a can" sigh*, so very limited these days!
    I do still enjoy a glass or 2 of red wine a few days a week, but I have definately noticed a difference since eating Primal! AND I work in an Italian restaurant with a very nice 150+ bottle wine list...and we pour our glasses around 8 oz! We do a lot of tasting, while I avoid the bread, pizza and pasta, I will enjoy the wine!!

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    And, by the way, if you are doing everything right and still cant drop the lbs, consider dropping the booze. It will KILL your carb counts if you are honest with yourself, and because alcohol calories get burned first, you cant get to the fat burning if you are burning booze calories all day!!!

Sally is offline Member
    Well, so far I'm not getting on a scale. I'm just noting the differences in how my clothes fit (dropped a size this first month), energy levels, mood and so on. I'm getting on a scale at the 6 month mark. Maybe by then I'll be ready to post a before/after.

but def. will cut back on the wine if things plateau. I just don't like most liquids. I'm pretty much a wine/coffee/tea/water drinker.

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member
    I'm certainly not a big drinker but once in a blue moon I like to enjoy a good beer and have always enjoyed sampling the unique creations that Sam Adams comes up with (and other brands too, both domestic and international). The last beer I had was on New Year's Eve and that was only one 12 ounce bottle, which I barely finished. I've almost completely lost the desire to drink.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed that before, most dry wines were unlikely to please my palate. I tended to reach for the bolder, fruitier reds. Now, on the one night a month I actually have alcohol (usually more a social gesture than any strong desire), I reach for a drier, less sweet red or a more oaky white.
    I still love my Guinness, the stouter, the better; and I still enjoy may strawberry margaritas. Granted, I make my own now with just frozen pureed strawberries and tequila, no Triple Sec or sweetener required, but it's still a 'rita.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

pebblehead is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've also not been drinking much since going primal, when I used to have a nightcap (wine or brandy) several times a week. I'm pretty convinced that sugar cravings and alcohol cravings are one and the same, or at least closely related. I also think that eating lots of good fats makes me happier, and I have fewer of those "I've had an awful day and would really like a drink!" days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast