Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - Smoothies without the crap...

Newbie - Smoothies without the crap...

Shop Now
    Have been making a morning smoothie consisting of frozen mixed berry's from TJ's, 1 banana, FRESH squeezed orange juice (not from concentrate) or 2 oranges, and sometimes a splash of 1/2 and 1/2.

This sound OK?

Taggo

Probably too much sugar. Bananas are freaking sweet, and juice isn't helping. I make smoothies with frozen wild blueberries, coconut milk, maybe some yogurt or some soaked almonds, and water to help it blend up. I would stick with the frozen mixed berries, and just add coconut milk and water until it blends well. If you want dairy, go for whole cream; it's the best dairy fat bang for your buck, since a pint of half-and-half often costs roughly the same as a pint of cream.

Limit it to a single frozen fruit variety and some almond milk or coconut milk.

I have to agree with the above posters. I normally go with blueberries since they have less sugars than bananas/oranges. And I add ice and coconut milk. Sometimes I will use a protein powder if I am going to be out for awhile and I need the smoothie to hold me over for multiple meals.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

I make mine with spinach (can't taste it), coconut milk, frozen pineapple or peaches or whatever (not big on blueberries), and add lemon-flavored cod liver oil. Very tasty. I use ice if it needs to be thicker.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Also check the half-and-half. Some brands of that have TERRIFYING ingredients.

Or just switch to buying heavy cream.

Believe it or not, avocado is great in smoothies too. Makes them nice and thick and creamy

I sling half to a whole avo (depending on how thick I want it) into the magic bullet with a handful of frozen berries, some kefir, yogurt or a splash of milk and top it off with water, then blitz away. Comes out great! You could of course leave out the dairy, and/or chuck in some ice cubes to give it more of a slushy type texture.

Also good with a scoop of whey or protein powder for a post workout or meal replacement.

I do half an apple, chopped, some parsley or cilantro, 1 pc celery, chopped, some blueberries, water, and protein powder. Sometimes a splash of cream or evoo.

Shop Now
    I do frozen spinach, coconut milk, shredded coconut, frozen berries OR banana and sometimes some protein poweder.