Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar free ice cream bars and diabetes page

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

Sugar free ice cream bars and diabetes

Shop Now
    I've "heard" that sugar free sweeteners and desserts (like the ice cream bars) can still spike insulin... I actually read something about cyclists just swishing a glucose water around in their mouths and spitting it out because that was enough to cause an insulin spike.

My Dad has diabetes but he's convinced that eating 3 sugar free ice cream bars a day is fine, even though his blood sugar is sky high.

Any sources/info are appreciated.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Sugar free does not mean low carb. Some SF ice creams contain as many grams of carbs as the sugared sort. Just check the carbohydrate content on the label.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but anyone who eats 3 ice cream bars a day is just using the label "sugar-free" to rationalize unthinking hedonism. Any intelligent adult knows that eating 3 ice cream bars per day is unhealthy, regardless of what hype is on the label, so I doubt this is something that will be helped by showing him "proof" that they are unhealthy. It's like people who smoke; most of them know damn well that cigarettes are bad for them, but they choose to smoke anyway.

If you want articles anyway, try doing a Google Scholar search on "non nutritive sweeteners" and "diabetes" or "insulin."

DanC is offline Senior Member
    Depending on which bars it is sugar free often means no sugar added, so it can still have lots of sugar from the dairy. If his sugar is sky high he should look at his entire diet, and cut down on total carbs.

Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    I make my own with coconut milk and vanilla extract or cocoa powder. I like it as is but you can add stevia. That packaged stuff is no good...especially for a diabetic.
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Some ice cream even contains wheat and other starches.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but anyone who eats 3 ice cream bars a day is just using the label "sugar-free" to rationalize unthinking hedonism. Any intelligent adult knows that eating 3 ice cream bars per day is unhealthy, regardless of what hype is on the label, so I doubt this is something that will be helped by showing him "proof" that they are unhealthy. It's like people who smoke; most of them know damn well that cigarettes are bad for them, but they choose to smoke anyway.

If you want articles anyway, try doing a Google Scholar search on "non nutritive sweeteners" and "diabetes" or "insulin."
    Harsh? No, more like really fu*king insulting. I asked for info from the Primal community regarding insulin response and "sugar free" desserts - I didn't ask for your opinion as to my father's level of intelligence. This is in NO WAY similar to smoking, and I question your intelligence considering you compared the two. Don't ever respond to one of my posts again.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Depending on which bars it is sugar free often means no sugar added, so it can still have lots of sugar from the dairy. If his sugar is sky high he should look at his entire diet, and cut down on total carbs.
    Good point. His diet is crappy and needs an overhaul, but I'm starting with the ice cream

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    It isn't insulting. Tell him that eating any processed food 3 times a day is not good in any way shape or form.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barryman9000 View Post
    I didn't ask for your opinion as to my father's level of intelligence.
    Wow, I want to apologize for not being clear. I was in no way implying that your father is not intelligent. I was actually trying to say that he IS an intelligent person and somewhere inside he KNOWS that eating 3 ice creams per day is not healthy. I know you asked me not to respond to one of your posts, but I realize that I put that poorly and implied something that I did not mean to imply, and for that I apologize.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast