Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Sugar free ice cream bars and diabetes page

  1. #1
    barryman9000's Avatar
    barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    355

    Sugar free ice cream bars and diabetes

    Shop Now
    I've "heard" that sugar free sweeteners and desserts (like the ice cream bars) can still spike insulin... I actually read something about cyclists just swishing a glucose water around in their mouths and spitting it out because that was enough to cause an insulin spike.

    My Dad has diabetes but he's convinced that eating 3 sugar free ice cream bars a day is fine, even though his blood sugar is sky high.

    Any sources/info are appreciated.

  2. #2
    StoneAgeQueen's Avatar
    StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,218
    Sugar free does not mean low carb. Some SF ice creams contain as many grams of carbs as the sugared sort. Just check the carbohydrate content on the label.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

  3. #3
    Melantha's Avatar
    Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    287
    I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but anyone who eats 3 ice cream bars a day is just using the label "sugar-free" to rationalize unthinking hedonism. Any intelligent adult knows that eating 3 ice cream bars per day is unhealthy, regardless of what hype is on the label, so I doubt this is something that will be helped by showing him "proof" that they are unhealthy. It's like people who smoke; most of them know damn well that cigarettes are bad for them, but they choose to smoke anyway.

    If you want articles anyway, try doing a Google Scholar search on "non nutritive sweeteners" and "diabetes" or "insulin."

  4. #4
    DanC's Avatar
    DanC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tn
    Posts
    127
    Depending on which bars it is sugar free often means no sugar added, so it can still have lots of sugar from the dairy. If his sugar is sky high he should look at his entire diet, and cut down on total carbs.

  5. #5
    Phaedrus's Avatar
    Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NW Arkansas...S.Florida Native
    Posts
    109
    I make my own with coconut milk and vanilla extract or cocoa powder. I like it as is but you can add stevia. That packaged stuff is no good...especially for a diabetic.
    Brad

    late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

  6. #6
    StoneAgeQueen's Avatar
    StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,218
    Some ice cream even contains wheat and other starches.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

  7. #7
    barryman9000's Avatar
    barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but anyone who eats 3 ice cream bars a day is just using the label "sugar-free" to rationalize unthinking hedonism. Any intelligent adult knows that eating 3 ice cream bars per day is unhealthy, regardless of what hype is on the label, so I doubt this is something that will be helped by showing him "proof" that they are unhealthy. It's like people who smoke; most of them know damn well that cigarettes are bad for them, but they choose to smoke anyway.

    If you want articles anyway, try doing a Google Scholar search on "non nutritive sweeteners" and "diabetes" or "insulin."
    Harsh? No, more like really fu*king insulting. I asked for info from the Primal community regarding insulin response and "sugar free" desserts - I didn't ask for your opinion as to my father's level of intelligence. This is in NO WAY similar to smoking, and I question your intelligence considering you compared the two. Don't ever respond to one of my posts again.

  8. #8
    barryman9000's Avatar
    barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Posts
    355
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Depending on which bars it is sugar free often means no sugar added, so it can still have lots of sugar from the dairy. If his sugar is sky high he should look at his entire diet, and cut down on total carbs.
    Good point. His diet is crappy and needs an overhaul, but I'm starting with the ice cream

  9. #9
    MightyAl's Avatar
    MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Quad Cities, IA
    Posts
    508
    It isn't insulting. Tell him that eating any processed food 3 times a day is not good in any way shape or form.

  10. #10
    Melantha's Avatar
    Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    DC Area
    Posts
    287
    Quote Originally Posted by barryman9000 View Post
    I didn't ask for your opinion as to my father's level of intelligence.
    Wow, I want to apologize for not being clear. I was in no way implying that your father is not intelligent. I was actually trying to say that he IS an intelligent person and somewhere inside he KNOWS that eating 3 ice creams per day is not healthy. I know you asked me not to respond to one of your posts, but I realize that I put that poorly and implied something that I did not mean to imply, and for that I apologize.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •