Thread: Newbie....critique me! page

Darbbb is offline Member

Newbie....critique me!

Shop Now
    Hi guys

I am new to MDA and to primal/paelo eating, though I have been gluten-free and mostly dairy and sugar free for some time. I am 6'1, 225, 49, fit. My goal is to lose bodyfat as I maintain/increase muscle. My workout plan is P90x (second round) and I am happy with it. I have been eating primal for a couple of weeks now, and am in week six of P90x. I am dropping weight, but it is and alway is a very slow process for me.

Here is an approximate typical day for me, eating-wise, and I am using Fitday to keep track:

Breakfast:

Two omega-3 eggs scramble in tsp of clarified butter, slice of bacon, 0.5 slice of millet bread with pat of butter. Coffee black (only one cup a day)

Snack (pre-workout):

1.25 cup of unsweetened almond milk
    0.33 cup of blueberries
    1.5 scoops of rice protein powder
    3 tblspoons of coconut oil
    1 tbls of heavy cream, organic
    All blended into a shake

Snack (post workout):

1 tbls of almond butter
    .25 of medium apple
    3 small blocks of 88% organic chocolate

Dinner:

8 oz of pork tenderloin
    0.5 cup organic sauerkraut
    1 cup steamed broccoli
    1.5 pats of butter
    2 gluten-free gingersnaps

Snack:

1 oz of roasted almonds

For yesterday, I ate 1943 calories (though most days I am in the 2400 range, more typically). I had 57% fat (118 g), 31% protein (140 g), and 13% carb (65 g).

Again this is pretty typical eating for me. I went through a definite "low-carb flu" but feel better now. Any hints or suggestions are welcome, and Im happy to be onboard here.

Brad

demos is offline Junior Member
    I am new too-- and looking for feedback. I am also in my second round of P90X-- day 80.

7:00 AM:cup of kefir and protein powder smoothie, tablespoon peanut butter (no sugar)
    12:30 PM: 4 egg omelet cooked with 4 slices of bacon fat, spinach, curry powder

Dinner will be some beef, something green-- maybe spinach/egg/bacon salad.

I have been doing better making it through my 10:00 mid-morning snack cravings.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    To be frank I think calories are too low (even though you claim it's usually higher, I bet it's not since you seem really wired up about it), and too many random things if that makes sense?
    2 eggs and a slice of bacon, i mean live a little man I eat 8 eggs and 300g of bacon for breakfast and I'm only slightly taller than you. Millet bread is made from the millet grain i presume. I bet it's chock full of nutrients (that you can't absorb) or whatever. Ditch it.

Your pre-workout snack appears to be 1/3 of your calories from the rundown with all the random things you've thrown in there. Only eating a quarter of an apple and then eating dark chocolate instead is silly. Dinner is good except I have no clue what on earth a gingersnap is. It might be gluten-free, but it sounds like something manufactured and is probably free of nutrients and full of crap. Your protein intake is probably a little low unless you're chowing down on that rice protein (why rice?) like there's no tommorow.

I guess my suggestion to you would be: Ditch all the random tidbit snacks and hyped up "health foods" and eat 3 solid meals with protein (MEAT/eggs) and some veggies. Eat a piece of fruit when you want it.

I know you said you like it, but you're 49 and I doubt you will see optimal results working out intensely for an hour a day 6 days a week. Maybe if you were 20, but beating yourself into the ground is not going to do anything for bodycomposition, and your stress hormones will most likely skyrocket preventing fat loss. I believe a solid barbell workout 3 days a week will do you more good.

It might seem like I'm clawing at a lot of things, but you did ask for a critique If you've just started trying to eat primal, it's probably fine if you have a transition period of a few weeks dipping your feet in the pool.

@Demos without your stats or your goals it's kind of hard to be specific, but maybe some of the same suggestions I'm giving Bradd apply to you aswell.

Darbbb is offline Member
    Thanks for your help.