Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Pregnancy Food Questions page

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member

First Pregnancy Food Questions

So I'm a few weeks into my first pregnancy. I've cut out most caffeine, and of course sugars and grains for a long time now. I was wonder if there's anything else I should really avoid or add in? I eat a tin of wild pink salmon every week for the DHA, but that's about the only thing I've changed.

I know that a growing baby requires more calories, but do I really need to pay any more attention then the "eat when you're hungry" that I've been doing for a long time now?
    ---
    ~Christine

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Eat lots of chocolate and choline rich foods (eggs, etc.) The endorphins from the chocolate tend to produce a more happy, laidback child; the choline from the eggs promotes the growth of more neural connections in the fetal brain (read: child is smarter, learns quicker, better reasoning, etc.)
    My husband had his sister do this and her daughter is a VERY happy child, only whiny or complaining when sick or fighting sleep. My niece is also several grade levels ahead, in terms of capability to absorb, retain, and use information, than any of her classmates.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Eat when you are hungry will work fine! You really won't need any extra calories until your second trimester anyway. Aim for around 20% protein.

Really important: Make sure your Vitamin D is sufficient as well as your B vitamins, folic acid and minerals.

Well I'm on prenatal vitamins that have 5mg of folic acid in them per day. Since it's winter here I'm taking 4000-6000 IU of vitamin D a day too if only to keep from the head colds that are passed around like mad here.
    ---
    ~Christine

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineCrain View Post
    Well I'm on prenatal vitamins that have 5mg of folic acid in them per day. Since it's winter here I'm taking 4000-6000 IU of vitamin D a day too if only to keep from the head colds that are passed around like mad here.
    Sounds great! I'd suggest getting your D levels tested and make sure your blood levels are between 50-80 ng/ml. Read the link I included in my post for more info on D and pregnancy.

Yeah I just did! =D

I have my first appointment with my GP at the hospital the beginning of next month so I'll make sure she tests my vit D levels when she's running everything else.
    ---
    ~Christine

JenCat is offline Senior Member
    I really wish I had know all this stuff when I was pregnant with my kids. If I could go back and change one thing, it would be my diet during pregnancy. Congrats!

Thanks ^^ Hubby and I are excited. q:
    ---
    ~Christine

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Eat lots of chocolate and choline rich foods (eggs, etc.) The endorphins from the chocolate tend to produce a more happy, laidback child; the choline from the eggs promotes the growth of more neural connections in the fetal brain (read: child is smarter, learns quicker, better reasoning, etc.)
    My husband had his sister do this and her daughter is a VERY happy child, only whiny or complaining when sick or fighting sleep. My niece is also several grade levels ahead, in terms of capability to absorb, retain, and use information, than any of her classmates.
    This cracks me up because I ate an awful lot of good quality dark chocolate when I was PG. My son was not the easiest newborn in the world, but he is sure an easy-going, happy-go-lucky kind of kid (he's 7 now). And he LOVES his chocolate, preferring the dark stuff like his mama. Once he got out of the newborn colicky stage by a couple months old, he became a super easy kiddo and has stayed that way. Let's hope it remains when he's a teenager!

When I was PG, one thing I craved tremendously was avocados. I was seeing a naturopath at the time and she said to "go for it" with the avocados because of all the healthy fat...so I did.

momofredheads is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am currently pregnant and I would suggest to eat when you are hungry. If you aren't having terrible M/S then nothing should change terribly about how you were eating, it should all work now too. I had really bad M/s and it sent me on spirals with the carbs and blood sugar roller coaster. I am now past the M/S and feeling great again, even started excercising again, but the sugar is taking its time getting back to normalcy. I figure hopefully in the next month I will be totally back to the way I was pre pregnancy as far as the blood sugar. I hope that made sense. I am insulin resistant just to clarify too and so the crackers and holidays and m/s threw me in a frenzy that I am still trying to stabilize.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast