Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal (mummybeelee) page

mummybeelee is offline Senior Member

Primal journal (mummybeelee)

Shop Now
    I am starting this journal to keep track of my diet and exercise and keep myself accountable to myself. Plus I am loving reading other people's journals especially those who have journalled for a long time and chronicled their successes over time. I am hopeful that in a year's time this will be a record of my transformation to a happier, healthier, stronger primal life.

So starting stats *cringe* as of 10 Jan 2011

32 year old female
    Height 5' 10"
    Weight 230lbs
    Neck 14.5"
    Belly 46"
    waist 40"
    Hips 48"
    Thighs 26"

Body fat via http://www.free-body-fat-calculator.com/ is 42.57% Ugh!!

Reasons for going primal are possibly quite obvious with my stats. I am sick of hauling extra weight around, sick of being asked when my baby is due, sick of feeling unfit, tired and stressed out. I want to feel better, look better and be able to keep up with my kids better. I want a healthy life to enjoy.

Background. I was always very skinny when younger. At one point in my teens I was majorly restricting my calories to stay below 120lbs (very low for my height and build). Once I began eating more normally, my weight was around 130 - 140lbs for my late teens and early 20s.
    I had my daughter at 23 and from then the weight steadily crept on with more added with the next two pregnancies.
    Over the last few years, we have had quite a lot of stress. An Aspergers diagnosis for my older son and the associated diagnosis process, craniosynostosis diagnosis for my younger son with the worry of potential skull surgery (thankfully the NS decided surgery was not necessary in his case) plus a few other medical and developmental issues amongst the three kids and the usual ups and downs of family life. All small beans in the grand scheme of things but for a while it felt like everything was coming at once and my usual optomisim was taking a bit of a battering.

Although I have always tried to provide my family with "healthy" food (CW wise), I was stuck in a carb and sugar addiction and constantly comfort eating rubbish. Pizzas, nachos, crisps and chocolate, huge portions of "healthy" grains and little to no exercise have me at the point I am now. I have had brief periods of attempting fitness routines (tried the c25K but got bad shin splints, exercise videos but always ditch them when I get ill and off track for a week or so) and cutting out the rubbish but nothing has stuck until now.

PB makes sense to me and the last week seems to show it makes sense to my body as well

I had a couple of headachey, fuzzy headed days about 3 days in but since then I have felt better than I have for a long time. I haven't experienced those horrible blood sugar shaky crashes that used to send me reaching for the chocolate. I have been enjoying my food, feeling satisfied after my meals and not been tempted by the carby rubbish people have been eating around me that I would usually not be able to get enough of! I am less bloated, sleeping better and have an underlying higher energy than usual.

The whole family has been felled by a nasty cold the last few days (in fact nearly everyone I know seems to have had it or has it) and I am feeling fairly rubbish with that BUT I haven't reached for the sugary, carby rubbish I would usually feel I needed to get through a day looking after three sick kids while being sick myself. Bacon, eggs and sardines are seeing me through!

With how achey I am feeling and the horrid chesty cough, I am putting off starting the exercise routine properly until I am feeling healthier but am still trying to move more and after practising over the last week I can now do a proper squat and am squatting to do housework tasks such as putting laundry away, vacuuming skirtings etc! lol!

So I plan to use this journal to record my food which will help me identify when and if I stray off plan. Record my exercise to help keep me moving and notice my improvements. And hopefully over time to record my successes in terms of shrinking stats and a healthier, more energetic life!

For now, I am allowing myself some dairy (double cream in my chai, sprinkling of grated cheese or occasional dollop of full fat sour cream when my meal would benefit from it) root veg, coffee and the occasional weekend glass of wine. These are all subject to removal over time but for now they are helping me enjoy my primal food.
    I was allowing myself dried fruit and nuts but am considering cutting them and sticking to the occasional piece of fresh fruit or berries.

Food for the days I have recorded:

Day 6:

B: Avocado, egg, bacon and tomato salad over salad greens, pine nuts and homemade balsamic vinegar dressing
    2 mugs Coffee

Couple of mugs of coffee in the afternoon

D: 4 skin on chicken thighs with salad greens, sugar snap peas and homemade balsamic vinegar dressing
    Glass of organic scrumpy (leftover from making a pork casserole earlier in the week)

Chai with splash of double cream

Day 7:

B: Chicken thigh (leftover from night before), sugar snap peas, small piece of leftover cold beef & mustard
    Coffee

S: Apple and a few macadamia nuts

D: Chicken curry made with coconut milk & veg served over onions, courgette & tomatoes friend in butter

Day 8:
    B: 4 slices of bacon, 2 boiled eggs, small tangerine
    Coffee with a splash of double cream

D: Basa fillet baked in butter and chilli flakes, roasted parsnips with balsamic vinegar, avocado mashed with mint
    Blueberries and blackberries with a few flaked almonds, a square of 85% dark chocolate broken over and double cream

Day 9 (today)
    B: 4 slices bacon, one small pepper fried in butter, small chicken thigh with skin on
    Coffee

S: 3 dates, 6 macadamia nuts
    L: Sardines, onions & tomato fried in butter and served with a sprinkle of grated cheese
    Chai with splash of double cream
    D: Omelette with tomato and onion and a little cheese, salad leaves with balsamic vinegar dressing

Most days I have only wanted breakfast and dinner. I tend to not be hungry when I first wake up so breakfast is lateish and then I just haven't been hungry at lunch time. Very unusual for me to go so long without food and not feel terrible but my body seems happy with it so I am going with that.
    Today I was feeling hungry around lunch time. Possibly because I didn't have my eggs for breakfast or possibly because I am ill (or both?) and made the mistake of reaching for the snack pack of dates and a few nuts. The dates tasted ridiculously sweet and then triggered me really craving carbs which hasn't happened since the first day at this. Ugh! Lesson learnt, that was the last of the dried fruit in the house and it won't be being replaced! I didn't give in to the carb cravings but instead fried up a lunch of onion, tomato & sardines and enjoyed them along with a mug of Chai with a splash of cream. The fats have staved off the carb cravings. Yay!

Lessons for today - when hungry eat fat and protein
    - do not keep dried fruit in the house
    - do keep speedy choices like sardines and boiled eggs in the house
    - eat eggs in the morning!

I am however pleased that I have stuck to the plan and not eaten carby, sugary rubbish. Usually a day like today with me ill and all three kids home sick would have resulted in a call to hubby to bring home pizza, nachos and a bar of dairy milk. Instead I am looking forward to a yummy omelette tonight and called him to bring more eggs and salad!

I am really struggling with drinks. A few mugs of coffee in the morning is fine, a mug of chai before bed is a nice treat and most of the time I am fine drinking water. But I am really missing my glass of diet coke with my dinner. Will have to investigate other cold drink options. Maybe sparkling water??
    Last edited by mummybeelee; 01-19-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: adding dinner

Still full of this coldy/flu nonsense and really wanted to stay in bed this morning but small people dictated otherwise. Once sufficiently awake to decide I wanted to eat I discovered I had forgotten to take my bacon out of the freezer ...and wanted to go back to bed again!! lol! I improvised though and created a really delicious breakfast that I think may become a standby especially as it kept me going all day without wanting to snack at all and has cured my craving for Mexican food

B: Minced steak fried with onion, tomato, a little tomato paste and enchilada spices topped with jalapeņos & 2 fried eggs and served with a small sprinkling of cheese and a spoonful of sour cream
    2 mugs coffee

D: 3 sausages with mixed veg (cooked in crockpot all day) and cabbage stir fried in butter and spices

Think I messed up with the sausages. I thought they were decent ones when I pulled them out of the freezer but think they were ones with wheat in. Have a gripey stomach now. Has helped put me off considering one of the doughnuts DH is tucking into though. Not worth feeling rubbish for! May have some berries, cream and a little dark chocolate for supper in a little while with my mug of chai

My mum was asking me earlier how I am doing with food as she knows I am doing this and also knows that feeling ill would usually lead to me binging on total rubbish (by any dietary standards!).. She knows as she does exactly the same. Guess where I got my eating habits from?? She was amazed to hear I am sticking to Primal foods. It just seems to make sense to get through it making food choices that make me feel better not worse (apart from the sausage mistake obviously )

Probably no one is bothering reading this other than me to keep track of myself but if you happen to glance through, please forgive the proliferation of exclamation marks and smileys. I try to rein it in but just can't help myself!

I never did have those berries last night, didn't feel hungry so just enjoyed my chai

B: 4 rashers bacon, 2 hard boiled eggs with hot sauce, tangerine, a few almonds
    2 mugs coffee

D: Fried ground beef with onions and tomatoes in enchilada spices, served over crunchy lettuce and a sliced avocado with EVOO & lemon dressing & topped with 2 fried eggs, a little grated cheddar, jalapeņo peppers and a spoon of sour cream
    2 glasses red wine

Friday is usually pizza night here but I was perfectly happy with my delicious dinner and my husband was disappointed I ate it all as he was hoping for leftovers! Hee..I may well persuade him to turn primal at this rate
    After sipping red wine while we watched a film, I am amazed how sweet it tastes! I usually like dry wines so it seems weird for it to be tasting so sweet. I am also surprised that after 2 glasses, I have had enough. Usually the bottle would be gone before I noticed on a Friday night!

Early bed tonight so we can be up early and head to costco for a stock up on yummy food

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Lovely to see you here . Did you find some vit D? Cos if not you can get good quality stuff cheap on Ebay. I got a years supply of 5000IU capsules (in olive oil) on there for dirt cheap.

It is funny about the wine isn't it. I find sometimes even one glass seems more than enough whereas before I would have drunk the bottle if dh wasn't there to have half of it.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Thanks hun And thank you for pointing me over here!

I haven't tracked down any vit D yet so I'll have a look on ebay. I thought I might be able to get some in costco but they only had calcium with vitD and there wasn't enough D in it.
    I did however get lots of yummy veg and a huge joint of pork, lovely eggs etc

So food over the weekend:
    Saturday:
    B: 4 rashers bacon, 1 egg scrambled with cream and a mug of coffee
    L: Costoc chicken salad (could only manage about half of it!)
    D: Chicken drumstick, sugar snap peas with balsamic vinegar
    Raspberries, blackberries & blueberries with a few slivered almonds, a couple of squares of 85% dark choc and cream
    2 glasses red wine

Sunday:
    B: 2 eggs scrambles, 2 mugs coffee
    D: Roast pork, mixed roast veg with olive oil & spices, broccoli
    Glass desert wine, 2 squares dark chocolate
    S: Chai with cream

Today so far:
    B: 4 rashers bacon, fried egg and fried tomato & onion with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. 10 almonds & mug coffee

Dinner is in the crockpot. Mixed veg with pork chops, tinned tomatoes, all spice, soy sauce & various other spices. Smells yummy already!

One thing I am really loving is that as long as I have had a decent breakfast before I go out, I am not worrying about when I can next eat or what I can eat. If I do get hungry, it isn't in that emergency, shaky, feel awful, must eat NOW way. I have a little bag of nuts and an apple in my bag in case I need something but so far I haven't needed it. I can walk past all the cakes & biscuits & pizzas and not even feel tempted as I am just not hungry. LOVE it!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I recognize this username! I don't know if you know me, but mine is nonsumdignus over at that other site that the three of us have in common. Great to find you! I hope your journey is wonderful.

I LOVE being solid all morning - that was the first life-changing difference I found, and I was sold from then on, even though at that point, 3 years ago, all I had done was switch from skim to whole milk in my highly processed whole-grain breakfast cereal, lol.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and sparkling water really helped getting me through times when I had fizzy drink cravings. My very favorite, don't know if it's available near you, but it's Appolinaris. It's a German sparkling water that is naturally sparkling, no CO2 added - and very delicious!! Maybe it's the naturally occurring minerals that make it so tasty to me - I love it.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Hey mama! I certainly do recognise you! I had read some of your posts over here and mentions of parenting style and babywearing and wondered if you were someone I would know from over there. Lovely to realise who you are

I get muddled if I use different usernames so tend to stick to the same, rather unimaginative, one I used when I very first started hanging around forums! lol!

I'll have a look at the mineral waters on offer next time I go to the supermarket. We are rather limited choice wise here (rural area with a lot of folk who are a little stuck in their ways food wise generally ) but a sparkling water may just do the trick for me. Our tap water is pretty good as we are on natural well water (tastes sooo much nicer than the mains water my parents who live next door have and comes beautifully cold straight out of the tap) but something to change it up a little would be good. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that brand as a recommendation is always a great starting point!

Thanks for saying hi!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast