Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal (mummybeelee) page 3

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow, what a beautiful story! Just losing the back pain, coping better with sleep deprivation, and losing the taste for fake food - those are huge! Throw in the body changes, and what a major win! It was the health changes that kept me trying and trying over years to beat the dang sugar addiction. When I went without it (and eventually had the same realization with grains), I felt sooooooo much better overall that I knew there was no going back. The only choice was to keep fighting. Fall down, pick myself up and go, repeat ad nauseum.

I love the idea of having primal treats in your repertoire for the craving times. I kind of avoid those recipes b/c I don't want to rely on them with any kind of regularity, but having them as tools for the inevitable times of temptation is a great idea.

What does LHT stand for? I've seen it mentioned and assume it has something to do with Primal Blueprint Fitness?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

mummybeelee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I love the idea of having primal treats in your repertoire for the craving times. I kind of avoid those recipes b/c I don't want to rely on them with any kind of regularity, but having them as tools for the inevitable times of temptation is a great idea.

What does LHT stand for? I've seen it mentioned and assume it has something to do with Primal Blueprint Fitness?
    Yeah I wouldn't want to be relying on baked primal treats as an everyday thing. I want to get away from that reliance on food for comfort/stress relief and dissociate the emotions from the food so I only eat when hungry. But there are times when I know I am going to be craving something with that cakey texture and I figure a totally primal ingredients baked treat is going to be a better choice for indulging. Plus, as I found the other day, I simply can't overindulge in the same way as I can with sugary stuff. I can see them being my TOM treat! hee! I am moving the family slowly more primal as well and some cakey treats will probably help with that as well

LHT is lift heavy things. In the case of bodyweight exercises, the heavy thing is my body! lol! The exercises are all in the PB fitness ebook. The videos make them look sooooo easy...but they really don't feel easy to me at all at this stage!!

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Bee. It is very frustrating. On primal but eating just one bit of fruit and cream and a couple of sq dark choc a day, I was *gaining* weight after the first bit of water weight was lost. I don't even know how that is possible on someone who is 5 ft4 and nearly 17 stone! I cut out dairy, but then I find it much harder not to slip and eat sugary stuff so it feels a bit no win at the moment.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    {{{hugs}}} HW. I just hit my own sweet spot only after finally giving in and cutting out the fruits and nuts. I think it's gotta be a gut thing for me, most likely candida. I just keep fighting the sweet monster and keep stalling out b/c of the resulting (admittedly small and nothing compared to the old ones) binges, and finally just bit the bullet. I don't know how many people have to resort to that to hit optimal health, and I don't think it will last forever, just till my gut is balanced again, but agh!, it sure is frustrating.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    {{{hugs}}} HW. I just hit my own sweet spot only after finally giving in and cutting out the fruits and nuts. I think it's gotta be a gut thing for me, most likely candida. I just keep fighting the sweet monster and keep stalling out b/c of the resulting (admittedly small and nothing compared to the old ones) binges, and finally just bit the bullet. I don't know how many people have to resort to that to hit optimal health, and I don't think it will last forever, just till my gut is balanced again, but agh!, it sure is frustrating.
    Yeah I think I need to cut out fruit. I eat it only with meals as it spikes me otherwise but I suspect I'll only get into a peaceful place with food if I cut it out again. And the dark choc and the wine . I wanted to be able to have these "treats" but really I knew it was a longshot, I know how super-sensitive I am.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Katherine, out of interest, is it the Lindt dark choc you usually have? I have been eating the odd square of tesco finest 85% dark choc (had a heap left after making choc stirring sticks for xmas presents) and having no problems with it. Today I spotted the Lindt 90% in Tesco so treated myself to some of that. Although it is a darker choc, there is vanilla added which despite having less sugar, makes it taste sweeter to me and I have struggled to put it away tonight after a few squares despite not being hungry. The vanilla and the texture gives it that baked goods effect somehow and feels really moreish. I also now have a bit of a headache :/
    I'll be going back to my Tesco finest I think!

And yup...that Lindt choc has triggered off some major wanting sweet stuff cravings :/ The stuff I was having before (a square or two of it every 2 or 3 days) did not make me crave sweet stuff in the same way.

Hubbie came into the room with ice cream which nearly tipped me over the edge! I just went and whipped up some cream, threw in a few blueberries and grated a square of the lindt choc over and mixed it in. Have managed about half of it, craving fixed and can't eat any more

Hubbie is insisting on learning the hard way that (as usual ) I am right. He keeps saying he will start eating primal..tomorrow...next week..after next week..lol! He joined me with a totally primal dinner (steak, fried onions & tomatoes, mushrooms & fried egg) then blew it by eating a hot dog just because it was there Not sure what he was munching earlier with his beer, but he just polished off a bowl of ice cream. I asked him to take my half finished bowl of cream back to the kitchen and he asked what it was and is now moaning that it is not fair because he has eaten loads more than me but is still hungry. I just told him "Yup, because you ate the wrong things hun"

I am being patient, providing primal food and letting him eat whatever rubbish he likes without lecturing. I know he'll make the shift eventually. With smoking, I quit, cold turkey and it took him 3 years but he eventually did the same. And is now the most obnoxious anti smoking ex smoker ever! lol! He'll want to get healthy eventually but I know how he works and the drive has to come from him. At least he is being supportive of me <3

That's interesting about the chocolate. I don't like that Tesco one, it has a very sour taste. The Lindt one doesn't taste sweet but is smoother to me. I don't find it more-ish, 2 sq is enough for me. I picked that one partly as it doesn't have a warning about gluten on it, although the lindt website says there is still possibility of contamination with Barley. Really I need to try a proper gluten free brand but it gets pricey esp if I have to mail order. Will think about it if I decide to reintroduce it after my 30 days thing.

See, I could never leave half a bowl of cream, berries and choc lol. I'd eat an absurd amount and then have a stomach ache in the night because of the dairy lol.

Harold Whitman

Hmm..the Tesco one doesn't taste sour to me..just like real chocolate but it is in comparison to that that the Lindt one tastes sweet. And it is that hint of sweetness (which I think for me is coming from the vanilla) that was triggering carb cravings unlike the Tesco one. The sugar addiction thing is too strong for me to eat sweet stuff atm or rather stuff that my brain processes as sweet without wanting more.

I could eat masses of the cream & berry combo usually but whipping it made me slow down and I really felt like I couldn't eat another mouthful. Weird as I never ever imagined pre primal that I would feel that way about any food! I have a strong "clean your plate" mentality (that I have worked hard to not pass on to my kids) which combined with emotional eating (comfort/boredom/treat...I "deserve" something sweet and lovely) has meant I polish off everything in front of me and consume vast quantities of food even when not hungry. Primal food, especially high fat primal food, seems to be overcoming that for me.

Would you polish it off because you were hungry or because you are programmed to finish everything or because you crave the carbs..or??
    Never say never! lol! It isn't just willpower but really a reset for your body and I bet one day you will feel the same and be amazed. It just takes finding what the triggers are for you. I am hopeful for you that your whole30esque challenge will be a big step towards that and towards feeling in control.

I am trying to be careful not to set up new food comfort associations. I was getting into a habit of having a square of dark choc every night with my chai whether I was hungry or not so I have had a different tea a few nights and not had the choc and then had my chai and not the choc. If I am hungry I will have the choc...whatever time of day it is! I just don't want dark chocolate to become an evening treat that I feel I have to have even if I am not hungry.

Fruit I am being careful with as it does taste very sweet to me and can set off my carb cravings. I occasionally have a Clementine with my breakfast (bacon & eggs) instead of frying up some onions and tomatoes. I will have some berries every few days but only accompanied by cream and a few flaked almonds or dessicated coconut as a planned part of a meal or supper or like those avocado cocoa roll things..as a planned treat meal with plenty of other primal fats & protein. Seems I can't binge in the same way f there is plenty of fat mixed in there. Early days for me though so I am still experimenting.

I have taken care of the rest of the Lindt choc by melting it with cream and butter to make into truffles. It will be interesting to see how I do with those. I am betting the extra fat makes it impossible for me to scoff too many at one time....I hope! lol!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mummybeelee View Post
    Hmm..the Tesco one doesn't taste sour to me..just like real chocolate but it is in comparison to that that the Lindt one tastes sweet. And it is that hint of sweetness (which I think for me is coming from the vanilla) that was triggering carb cravings unlike the Tesco one. The sugar addiction thing is too strong for me to eat sweet stuff atm or rather stuff that my brain processes as sweet without wanting more.

I could eat masses of the cream & berry combo usually but whipping it made me slow down and I really felt like I couldn't eat another mouthful. Weird as I never ever imagined pre primal that I would feel that way about any food! I have a strong "clean your plate" mentality (that I have worked hard to not pass on to my kids) which combined with emotional eating (comfort/boredom/treat...I "deserve" something sweet and lovely) has meant I polish off everything in front of me and consume vast quantities of food even when not hungry. Primal food, especially high fat primal food, seems to be overcoming that for me.

Would you polish it off because you were hungry or because you are programmed to finish everything or because you crave the carbs..or??
    Never say never! lol! It isn't just willpower but really a reset for your body and I bet one day you will feel the same and be amazed. It just takes finding what the triggers are for you. I am hopeful for you that your whole30esque challenge will be a big step towards that and towards feeling in control.

I am trying to be careful not to set up new food comfort associations. I was getting into a habit of having a square of dark choc every night with my chai whether I was hungry or not so I have had a different tea a few nights and not had the choc and then had my chai and not the choc. If I am hungry I will have the choc...whatever time of day it is! I just don't want dark chocolate to become an evening treat that I feel I have to have even if I am not hungry.

Fruit I am being careful with as it does taste very sweet to me and can set off my carb cravings. I occasionally have a Clementine with my breakfast (bacon & eggs) instead of frying up some onions and tomatoes. I will have some berries every few days but only accompanied by cream and a few flaked almonds or dessicated coconut as a planned part of a meal or supper or like those avocado cocoa roll things..as a planned treat meal with plenty of other primal fats & protein. Seems I can't binge in the same way f there is plenty of fat mixed in there. Early days for me though so I am still experimenting.

I have taken care of the rest of the Lindt choc by melting it with cream and butter to make into truffles. It will be interesting to see how I do with those. I am betting the extra fat makes it impossible for me to scoff too many at one time....I hope! lol!
    Um, cos it's sweet and creamy. I'd start with a smaller bowl and after a few days be having more and more, next thing I'm buying meringue nests and a Dairy Milk lol. I think dairy intolerance causes dairy cravings for me, cheese has always been a binge food for me and my number one sugary food I crave is always ice cream. If I have berries and cream it has to be every day, I get wound up if I even think about not having it. Dark choc is not as bad though I do have it every day. In some ways I prefer that though since it feels steady. I can't eat it in the evening though or it affects my sleep. I am Mrs Sensitive lol.

Harold Whitman

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast