Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 114

Thread: Primal journal (mummybeelee) page 11

  1. #101
    MamaGrok's Avatar
    MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    atl
    Posts
    4,707
    Primal Fuel
    YAY on the neg pullup! I'm inspired - gonna get back to SF sometime soon, really I am!

    I know you'll make it through the mental readjustment. Prayers and hugs going with you.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

  2. #102
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    I love the fringe, have been considering getting one myself but I'm worried it'll tickle my forehead lol

    As for the emotional stuff, I know you'll handle it. Hey, I got slim after having 3 kids and it was bloody wonderful! There was this one time a married guy kept staring at me in the supermarket, but apart from that lol.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  3. #103
    sibylsybil's Avatar
    sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    297
    Just saw your before/now pictures, and WOW! you look fantastic! Great work!
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

  4. #104
    mummybeelee's Avatar
    mummybeelee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Ok, I vote for the first of the colours and the first of the styles. I think they would work beautifully together too.

    I can't empathise with the 'scared to be skinny' thing, I've been overweight my whole life practically. My problem is I can't even imagine being slim, I have no frame of reference for that.
    I think that you will be able to balance slimness and happiness at the same time, I mean it's not like any of the things that make you the happy person you are now are going to go away because you get hot.

    Oh and I'm so with you on the forum crap at the moment. I'm sticking to the journals so that I can avoid putting my fist through my keyboard. )
    Thanks for the hairstyle vote! I have ordered some dyes to aim for that first colour. Not sure how it will turn out over my current colour but I can buy some bleach and try again if necessary. Looking forward to experimenting.

    The bolded is what I need to get my dumb brain to remember. It totally makes sense in every logical way but my brain seems to short circuit and forget logic! lol!

    I am also totally jumping the gun. It is not like I am near slim in any way! lol! Long way to go before I have to worry about that stuff. Was just having a random wobble I think.

    Totally agree. The journals are a much safer hang out!

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    YAY on the neg pullup! I'm inspired - gonna get back to SF sometime soon, really I am!

    I know you'll make it through the mental readjustment. Prayers and hugs going with you.
    Thank you!

    We were playing around with the pullup bar yesterday and discovered that my ten year old daughter can do both pull ups and chins. Both from a dead hang! Colour me impressed!! lol! She is very slim, to the point people comment she is skinny but I have always said she is a lot stronger than she looks. I may just have to throw that little gem in there next time someone makes a dumb comment. Her head teacher actually tried to tell me I needed to give her more carbs in her packed lunches last year!! Might have to ask her how many pullups she can do!! hee hee!! I also love that my daughter is proud of her strength

    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    I love the fringe, have been considering getting one myself but I'm worried it'll tickle my forehead lol

    As for the emotional stuff, I know you'll handle it. Hey, I got slim after having 3 kids and it was bloody wonderful! There was this one time a married guy kept staring at me in the supermarket, but apart from that lol.
    I had a fringe a while back after several hairdressers told me I couldn't have one with my hair type. Telling me I can't have something tends to backfire! lol! I cut it in myself! I grew it out when I changed my hairstyle but I love the look of that really short little fringe still with the longer bits each side. I remember the long fringe being tickly at first but you soon get used to it.
    A groupon deal popped up yesterday for a cut and finish at a good salon for 18 instead of 44 so I snatched it up! Yay!

    I think the emotional stuff came up along with general stress going on atm which has stirred up a lot of past stuff. Doing lots of talking with the hubbie is helping

    Quote Originally Posted by sibylsybil View Post
    Just saw your before/now pictures, and WOW! you look fantastic! Great work!
    Thank you!
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

  5. #105
    MamaGrok's Avatar
    MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    atl
    Posts
    4,707
    Are high-maintenance (meaning, having to get cut more often to maintain the style) cuts more common in Europe? Of the European women I know and have seen, a lot higher percentage seem to have these cuts that are very much not the same length all over. They're very cool! We Americans just seem to tend more toward all one length, or layered (different lengths vertically, but not horizontally) like mine is - longer in the middle in the back, shorter as you get toward the front and as you get higher on the head. I swore after the 80s (I'm not kidding you!) and my 10 foot high bangs that I'd never spend more than 2m/day on my hair, or one cut a year, again. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo lazy!!!!!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

  6. #106
    NourishedEm's Avatar
    NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by mummybeelee View Post
    We were playing around with the pullup bar yesterday and discovered that my ten year old daughter can do both pull ups and chins. Both from a dead hang! Colour me impressed!! lol! She is very slim, to the point people comment she is skinny but I have always said she is a lot stronger than she looks. I may just have to throw that little gem in there next time someone makes a dumb comment. Her head teacher actually tried to tell me I needed to give her more carbs in her packed lunches last year!! Might have to ask her how many pullups she can do!! hee hee!! I also love that my daughter is proud of her strength
    I love this. My 8 year old girl is the same. Very slender, but she's got the most amazing long, lean muscles. Her abs are incredible! She's also really strong and fit and I've drummed into her that this is far more important than looks. We've discussed how primal is not a diet and I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to get fit and strong. I really want her to grow up with a healty body image where she appreciates her body for what it can do more than how it looks. I always hated my body and consequently was not very respectful of it.

  7. #107
    mummybeelee's Avatar
    mummybeelee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Are high-maintenance (meaning, having to get cut more often to maintain the style) cuts more common in Europe? Of the European women I know and have seen, a lot higher percentage seem to have these cuts that are very much not the same length all over. They're very cool! We Americans just seem to tend more toward all one length, or layered (different lengths vertically, but not horizontally) like mine is - longer in the middle in the back, shorter as you get toward the front and as you get higher on the head. I swore after the 80s (I'm not kidding you!) and my 10 foot high bangs that I'd never spend more than 2m/day on my hair, or one cut a year, again. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooo lazy!!!!!
    I think maybe they are more usual over here. I went through a long time of just cutting my own hair because it is so hard to find a hairdresser who has a clue how to cut curly hair and people round here were always quite shocked/surprised that I cut my own hair. I usually do my hubbies and kids hair as well and again, people are surprised. Most people go every 8 weeks or so to have their hair cut so having styles that need regular maintenance is quite usual.
    When having it coloured by the hairdresser, I need to go every 6 weeks to keep on top of the roots and I just can't afford that (either financially or the time!!). With a good cut, I can leave it around 10 to 12 weeks which is far more manageable. Once a year would just leave me with impossible to manage hair!


    Anyway, I bought the dye and put it on yesterday. It was a bit of a crazy rush job in between interviewing people for a managers position and going to a committee meeting, while giving the kids dinner (yes I should have waited and done it at the weekend! lol!) and the bathroom looked like there had been a massacre! But I am pleased with the colour result


    006 by mummybeelee, on Flickr

    It is very bright and glowy in the sun (and apparently glows under UV lights!) and far more "me"

    I am definitely feeling in a better place mentally again. Possibly helped by the fact that my mum had bought me a size 14 dress for my birthday to allow for me to slim into it. I have still been buying size 18s (at xmas I was size 18-20 and struggling to fit into most of my size 18 dresses) so thought I wouldn't be able to wear it for a loooong time yet. I tried it on to see how far I have to go before I can wear it and it FITS!!! Could still do with my tummy shrinking a lot but it went on, looked fine and felt comfortable.

    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    I love this. My 8 year old girl is the same. Very slender, but she's got the most amazing long, lean muscles. Her abs are incredible! She's also really strong and fit and I've drummed into her that this is far more important than looks. We've discussed how primal is not a diet and I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to get fit and strong. I really want her to grow up with a healty body image where she appreciates her body for what it can do more than how it looks. I always hated my body and consequently was not very respectful of it.
    Exactly the same discussions I have been having with my daughter!
    I grew up seeing my mum constantly dieting and I don't want my daughter to have the same experience. While I was always very slim when I was younger, I didn't see it at all and never appreciated my strength and fitness. I hope my kids can grow up with an appreciation for their bodies and an enjoyment of nourishing them It is so cute to see my three year old copying me doing pushups and all three fight to have turns on the pull up bar! hee!
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

  8. #108
    NourishedEm's Avatar
    NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,680
    Love the new colour, it really brings out your eyes, which are rather striking btw!

    Way to go on the size 14 dress... that's awesome!!

    My 3 fight to take their turns on the pull-up bar too.

  9. #109
    Horsewoman's Avatar
    Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,510
    I love the hair .

    I was wondering if you could write a bit about how you feed your family on primal, especially budget-wise, packed lunches etc. We're in the annoying position of needing to cut our food spending and wanting to keep moving towards more primal choices at the moment and frankly I'm stuck. We're spending a grand a month on food which I find quite horrifying, and a fair chunk of that is down to my primal stuff. But I am sick of seeing the kids yumming down giant bowls of bran flakes and lots of toast. By conventional standards they have a very healthy diet but still! I suggested cutting back on cereal this week and it nearly caused a riot lol.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

    Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

    Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

    "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

  10. #110
    mummybeelee's Avatar
    mummybeelee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scotland, UK
    Posts
    209
    Haven't updated for a while. Seem to have fallen into a sugar binge. Not like my pre primal binges but daft enough and am feeling the effects. Bleurgh. Must get back on track!
    Hopefully the fact that my fridge and freezer are currently well stocked with yummy meats will help that.

    Lots going on including an unexpected potential job offer which I have no idea whether to take up or not. Trying not to worry about it until I have chance to discuss it properly with the other people involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Love the new colour, it really brings out your eyes, which are rather striking btw!

    Way to go on the size 14 dress... that's awesome!!

    My 3 fight to take their turns on the pull-up bar too.
    Thank you Unfortunately I am very short sighted so my eyes are usually hidden behind glasses. I do have contacts but don't get on well enough with them to wear them all the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Horsewoman View Post
    I love the hair .

    I was wondering if you could write a bit about how you feed your family on primal, especially budget-wise, packed lunches etc. We're in the annoying position of needing to cut our food spending and wanting to keep moving towards more primal choices at the moment and frankly I'm stuck. We're spending a grand a month on food which I find quite horrifying, and a fair chunk of that is down to my primal stuff. But I am sick of seeing the kids yumming down giant bowls of bran flakes and lots of toast. By conventional standards they have a very healthy diet but still! I suggested cutting back on cereal this week and it nearly caused a riot lol.
    Thanks!

    Feeding the family...hmm..well. Basically I aim for primal but don't stress about it too much. I don't want food to be "forbidden" and therefore more attractive and I want them to make sensible choices for themselves. To that end we talk about what we are eating and why, how we feel afterwards etc.
    We are on a limited budget so don't spend anything like the amount you are currently spending on food. We just don't have the fund for it or we certainly would! We usually do a stock up in costco and then a big shop in the supermarket at the start of the month which costs us a couple of hundred pounds. Then we shop at the local supermarket as we need fresh products or when there are good offers on and end up spending probably another 100 a week or so.
    I don't buy organic, grass fed etc. unless it is on special offer or reduced. I buy what is cheap. We know the times stuff hits the reduced section and fill the freezer with reduced price meats. Steak often gets reduced big time along with mince, pork chops and occasionally the organic, free range chicken thighs. I picked up some pork belly strips for 99p yesterday and a 1.73kg silverside joint for under 5. I roasted the joint tonight and that will go with salad or veg for lunches for a few days.
    Dinner tonight was chicken from the cooked section as they were reduced to 2 each. Kids had theirs with chips and salad, hubbie had salad and I just had chicken as it was all I fancied.
    I also buy frozen meat and fish. Again looking out for when it is on offer. So I often have cook from frozen mince, chicken thighs or strips, salmon etc in the freezer. They all cook quickly and easily for nights we are in a rush or go in the crockpot. Alongside whatever veggies I have picked up (costco bulk buy/reduced section/offers or frozen) or salad they make a decent primal meal. Kids and hubbie will sometimes have rice or potatoes or occasionally still have pasta with them as well. Costco usually have huge chickens at two for 7 which I can make each do a couple of meals (roast with veggies one day and then in a curry/stew or salad second day) and then use for stock. We have been barbequing a lot recently and if they fancy putting their burgers or sausages in bread I don't argue with them. Increasingly though they are copying me and just eating the meat with salad. We look out for the decent burgers on offer. Tesco do ones with just beef for a decent price. Nope..probably not the best quality meat but for a few pounds we are eating just meat and veg, maybe an egg on top or some grated cheese.
    I also usually have a good stock of tinned tuna, salmon, sardines etc to throw together salads (fried up bacon, sardines and tomatoes mixed with soft boiled eggs and hot sauce saw me through a very busy day last week!). I keep an eye out in supermarkets for offers or I stock up on tuna at costco.

    Breakfasts are my nemesis! lol! I am hopeless at mornings and very rarely eat breakfast myself. The kids fluctuate between cereal, crackers, yoghurt and fruit, eggs, pancakes etc. They do all enjoy a proper primal full English but I am just not up to cooking it every day. Lilia was quite keen on scrambled eggs (I buy a LOT of eggs especially as I can pick them up from places selling them along the road with an honesty box which are cheap and proper free range yummy! plus friends with chickens often give us eggs ) with carrot sticks for a while or yoghurt with berries and a little honey. I need to get a handle on breakfast again.
    Packed lunches I usually do in the easylunchboxes which make packing easier. Lilia loves a salad with prawns and dip. Jess usually has a corn tortilla filled with ham and salad. Then they both have carrot sticks/grapes/berries/chopped fruit/cheese along side and usually some kind of "treat" which fluctuates in primal friendliness depending on time/money/organisation on my behalf! If we have leftovers from soup/stew/casserole they often take that in their food flasks for lunch as well.

    We have also been lucky enough that today we were given a heap of meat for FREE!! 20 venison burgers, 2 packs of venison sausages and two haunches of venison were dropped to my door for absolutely nothing!! A guy my hubbie works for culls deer for a few estates and appreciates having people to give the meat to. A friend of his is a butcher and butchers it all for the cost of a few good cuts. I seriously nearly cried at the generosity of that gift tonight We usually get a few pheasants and ducks during the season from friends who hunt and I can make a mean game casserole. Yum!

    So..umm...lots of eggs (scrambled/boiled/omelettes/fried), cheap meat (frozen/reduced section/free!!), cheap veg/salad/fruit (reduced section/costco/offers/frozen) and I do the best I can with what we have. Not sure how much help that is? The quality certainly isn't the best but it is the best I can currently do with the cash available and they still eat some non primal rubbish but very reduced and the bulk of their diet is meat/fish/eggs and veg/fruit.
    Bee
    Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
    Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
    My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •