Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Sandwich Bread page

Primal Fuel

I ran out of eggs last night and decided to use flaxseed for an experiment. Turns out, this made the bread WAY less 'dense' (taken from the 'Quick White Bread' recipe).

I'd go as far to say as "This is the absolute BEST 'Primal', low-carb bread as I've EVER seen". I'm extremely pleased that I can send my son to school with Primal Sandwiches now! Anyone looking at this bread wouldn't know the difference between CW grains junk and this soft, sweet, grain-free bread.

Full recipe to print here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=df8kr2j4_225fvgnb7ck

Golden Sandwich Bread

Preheat oven to 400

Ingredients

DRY - Mix together in one bowl:

1 ½ cup Whey Protein Powder

¼ cup “Just Whites” (egg white powder)

2 tblsp Baking Powder

2 tsp Sweetener of choice

¼ tsp Salt

FLAXSEED MIXTURE - Mix together in blender or small mixer:

1 scant cup ground flaxseed (.938 of a cup or 15 tblsp)

1 1/8 cup Water

WET - Mix together in another bowl:

Flaxseed Mixture

½ cup Heavy Cream

¼ cup Water

6 tblsp Organic Coconut Oil (or other mild/ sweet flavored oil)

Add wet & dry together and mix with hand-mixer for one minute.

Pour all into large, greased, non-stick loaf pan.

Put on center rack in oven with a baking sheet underneath, to catch spills.

Bake for 40 minutes, or until the loaf is no longer ‘oozing’ wet better out of the loaf pan (it does this to me every time). The top will be very golden brown, but should not appear to be burned.

Slice like regular bread!

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

someone told me that Flaxseed isn't primal?

the recipe sounds lovely though...I still need to make the white one. xoxox Darlene

Geoff is offline Member

A woman with a penchant for a hand mixer. A married man swoons in delight!!!

Have your tried this with "standard" egg whites? What's the translation of powder to "out of the shell"? I must admit there's a part of me that wants to take this recipe and move whole eggs to the wet mix in place of the coconut oil and powdered egg whites.

nina_70 Guest

We went back & forth on the flaxseed thing in the last flaxseed bread recipie (which I posted & seemed to get a heated discussion going on).

Flaxseed isn't a grain, and it *is* very low-carb and gluten-free. But, it contains phytic acid which is an anti-nutrient. So, if you're going to use flaxseed I'd use sprouted flaxseed meal. That would take care of the phytic acid problem.

Mark says it's OK in moderation, but I guess it wouldn't be strictly primal.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/quick...-edible-seeds/

where do you get "Sprouted" Flax seed meal?

nina_70 Guest

Go Raw sells a bunch of sprouted seeds incl. flax. Plus, there's a few other suppliers.

For example:

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...title&resnum=4

thank you Nina xoxo Darlene will go ck it out

I agree on the whole 'egg whites' and 'flax seeds' issues brought up.

My view is this: I'm not going to eat it, really, but for my husband and children, this sure beats the burden of not having ANY option for sandwich bread.

I'm sure there are 'more Primal' recipes out there, but for me, this is the absolute best result that I've ever come up with that actually resembles the stuff that my old CW family misses for their school lunches.

nina_70 Guest

And cheers for the recipe SassaFrass88. Bread is the biggest thing I miss, so I like to make some replacements here and there. I'll definitely try this.

Geoff, you can try it, but I suspect it's more of a 'scientific' texture reason for the egg white powder, as the original recipe actually calls for 6 large eggs. My ground flaxseed & water is in place of the eggs since I was COMPLETELY out of eggs last night.

The end result was a nice surprise of a 'better than the original recipe'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast