Thread: Protien question...Injury page

Sugarbowl is offline Junior Member

Protien question...Injury

Primal Fuel
    Any suggestions? I am suffering from a Peroneal tendon injury in my ankle, tendonitis from running that never healed correctly; somewhat in a chronic state, one year now.

Very limiting. Activity aggrivates it. I can swim but not kick (use bouie). I have put on 20 pounds in the past year and am now really trying to loose the wieght.. Is this possible without being able to do much excercise? I am following the Primal diet; have lost wieght, but I am afraid I am loosing more muscle, rather than fat. I am flabby and weak; not toned like I used to be I have cut my calories way down but feel really confused on how much protien/ carbs I should be eating. My goal is to loose the full 20 without malnutrition. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am a 30 year old female and very new to the Primal diet. Thanks

alex_the_iron is offline Member
    Yes it's very possible to lose weight with even zero exercise, although it would be much healthier and more efficient to work in whatever exercise you can. Anything that increases your heart rate for an extended period of time - swimming would be fine - is good.

My experience with people (especially women) who want to lose a non-trivial amount of weight then a general/long term strategy is more helpful than saying you should eat x grams of protein/carbs/fats.

My advice is to start simple: cut out any processed foods in your diet (refined carbohydrate products and man-made/hydrogenated fats) and begin exercising 3 times a week for 30 mins or so at a brisk pace - swimming is fine.

Don't weigh yourself for a good while. You needed a year to put on 20lbs - if you want to take it off (and more importantly KEEP it off) then you cannot expect to lose it in a month or two.

The key is to adopt good habits you can be consistent with and refine these as you go.

Unless you want to get into competitive shape (i.e. female athlete/figure model look) then it's really just a case of doing simple things for the right amount of time. Nothing fancy or elaborate needed, no carb counting or anything of that sort..

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    Adding body weight resistance exercise can only help - losing weight while doing nothing to maintain muscle mass will mean that its just weight lost not fat lost, which makes it harder to lose fat later because you don't have the muscle to burn it. You don't have to go all out and try to build muscle - 2x a week doing the primal fitness plan is enough. The leg issue will hamper some exercises but there is still plenty of things you can do to work around it - even skip the ones that aggravate it and stick to upper body stuff if you need to. If you do what work your able to do to maintain muscle and follow the primal diet you should have no issues with losing fat. But the reality is that if you do NO exercise you will lose muscle mass. As far as how many carbs - don't remember the page # from PB - but here is a link to one of the articles on the blog that has the same info: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Rowing machine. I used it while recuperating from a broken ankle last year. No weight pressing down, and you can easily control the speed and range of motion in your ankle while gradually increasing both.