Thread: Yikes- neck injury from push ups? page

bedouin is offline Member

Yikes- neck injury from push ups?

Hi all,

Id appreciate any advice regarding cause and /or treatment of below...

Two days ago, i did the PB sprints workout with friends then we went through 1 cycle of the LHT work out. after the plank, i felt a tightness/ mild pain at the bottom right part of the back of my neck. I used a heat bag on it yesterday and it went away.

Im at work, and just did 40 wall push ups as quick as i could as an energiser, and have the feeling again, worse this time.

Im just started PB fitness and want to avoid set backs

hope someone can shed some light-

Bedouin

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you can injure your neck or back doing push ups. Make sure your back is straight and plank like, and don`t let it dip as you get tired. Don`t strain your shoulders toward your ears or hold your neck tight. Try to keep a long line from the top of your head to your tailbone.

When I was first doing the 100 push up challenge, I really hurt my neck and back. My chiropractor showed me how to do push ups without straining my spine.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Thanks momma! how long did it take for you to get back to normal?

jon tall tree is offline Senior Member
    Form is more important than numbers! It can't be stressed enough, when your form goes bad your muscles have to compensate putting strain on different areas. Are you looking slightly forward with shoulders flat when doing pushups /plank. Like momma said your spine should be straight from the top of your head to your tail bone. Perhaps take a video of yourself to see were your going wrong

thanks Jon, thats a good idea- i dont recall doing anything different than pushing harder/ faster. ill def tape myself and study marks you tube vids for form

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedouin View Post
    Thanks momma! how long did it take for you to get back to normal?
    I had to lay off the pushups for about a week.
    The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Check out this video of push-up form, or just right-click and download it to your desktop to watch it. Regardless, be ready to lower the volume. It might help.

Also, have someone who knows what a push-up should look like watch you do some. It can be very hard to self-analyze: "My back IS straight!" "...no, man. It's really not." Your form might be great to start, but flag after X number of reps. Someone watching you can help you to spot that point and fix it (and recognize what the fix feels like to you, so you can do it yourself from there on out).
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)