Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Hypoglycemia, How can I do this? Help! page

pebblespb79 is offline Junior Member

With Hypoglycemia, How can I do this? Help!

Shop Now
    I have hypoglycemia and have tried to eat according to the Primal Blueprint. My BG drops in spite of me eating fruits and veggies with every meal. And when it drops, I feel so awful and it's like my brain can't function and I get really STUPID. I never even had hypoglycemia symptoms until I was 25. Now I'm 31. I've been trying to live with this for about 6 years now. It is so frustrating, because I CAN NOT forget to eat. I have to remember to pack snacks and juice for low BG episodes. And it makes it VERY hard to lose the weight I've gained. I gained about 45 pounds 4 years ago when I quit smoking. Within 6 months of quitting smoking, I'd gained all that weight. I had begun eating late at night, eating until I felt about to burst, and craving sweets. Since then, it has been such a struggle to lose the weight. Restricting calories and going to the gym makes me very hungry all the time. And being hungry all day, every day gets real old, real quick!

I just wonder... should I eat a few more carbs than what is called for to lose weight???? My hypoglycemia makes this such a struggle for me. I agree SO much with the Primal Blueprint and REALLY want to follow it but I can't have my BG dropping (because of passing out and people calling the ambulance on you... VERY dangerous).

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    We have a few people who have dealt with hypoglycemia on here and I'm sure they'll pop on eventually.

I think the first step is to cut out grains and sugars (refined). Go ahead and eat more often at first, if you need to, but be sure to include plenty of fat in your meals (the good fats, olive oil on salads, avocado, fat from good meats). Eventually the point is that your body will learn to burn fats for fuel instead of carbs which will help prevent the hypoglycemic ups and downs. But people who have had serious hypoglycemia will have better suggestions.

Have you tried using the search function on the forum and searching 'hypoglycemia'? I am betting you'll find several threads with some good info in the meantime.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

primal bill-e is offline Member
    Good saturated fats are the key to stabilizing blood sugar. In the past, if I skipped breakfast I would wind up in a food panic. Not I put a couple of ounces of heavy cream in my coffee and I'm good till noon. Try easing off the fruits and veggies, just for right now, and fill your diet with meat, coconut oil/milk, eggs, heavy cream, etc. Keep some nuts around to deal with crashes. And don't go hungry---eat enough! You can cut back when you're not crashing.
    It WILL get better! Good luck.

I am cutting out grains and refined sugars. My brother is the one who referred me to the Primal Blueprint. He actually gave me the book. He's lost ALL axcess weight from following it. He looks so great and says he feels better than he ever has and that he's hardly ever hungry. i think that's amazing and I want to do it too. But he doesn't suffer from hypoglecemia... lucky him.

I did do a search for "hypoglycemia" on the site, but not specifically on the forum. I'll try that. Thanks.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you could post a typical daily menu to give us a better idea of what you are eating and when. I have had problems with hypoglycemia for many years and now my blood sugar seems so stable on primal. The fruit may be a problem if you are eating a lot of it. I would suggest very limited berries for now.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Your BG is not dropping "in spite of" fruits at every meal. It's dropping BECAUSE OF fruits at every meal. For a hypoglycemic to do the PB, you MUST do it VLC (very-low-carb; under 20 grams per day) at first, and for at least the first month or two at minimum. During that time, eat NO fruit, and NO nuts, and NO cheese. Non-starchy (green) veggies and fats and eggs and meat only, until you get your BG completely under control.

Those of us who have hypoglycemia and diabetes have to modify the PB to remove even the "healthy" sugars that most people can eat. We don't have the ability to handle those things anymore, because our pancreases are whacked out already.

However, this doesn't mean you have to restrict calories and be hungry! Eat as many calories as you need to feel full - just don't eat them from carby sources. Have fat, meat, fat, leafy greens, and more fat. Have LOTS of fat. That's what's going to make the difference for you.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Ok, so one day, I ate almost a whole rotisserie chicken. That was ALL I ate for lunch. My stomach was FULL but my BG dropped.... Care to explain that one, Griff?

aktres is offline Senior Member
    He might if you ask him nicely.

I wasn't meaning to sound unkind, aktres. I'm just genuinely confused about how I should go about eating this way when my BG drops so much.... ?

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Your body has to adapt, and it needs time. Drop ALL grains, fruits, starches and sugars. Eat whenever you are hungry but do not eat those items.

I had this exact problem. I had to eat constantly in order to not crash. I had a couple of uncomfortable weeks when I first started eating this way, but now the roller coaster is GONE. I am now more tolerant of sugar in my diet; I can have dessert, or potatoes, or fruit, and still not crash. (A bagel or a pasta dinner is a different story.)

Be patient, & good luck.

eta Don't restrict calories until you have adapted. And don't drink juice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast