Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fracking Situation! page

Ardent is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Fracking Situation!

Sent this email to Mark but i figured i'd post it here anyway, get the word out!

Hello Mark, my name is Cody, a primal Arkansan living in the "Natural State" trying to take it easy and enjoy what mother nature has to offer. I wish i was E-mailing you to tell you how great and wonderful the Primal lifestyle is and how it has changed and improved my life, which it has immensely, but I'm here to talk about something more sinister and threatening to our lifestyle and every other person on this planet. There are people and corporations in this world that would get in the way of human beings and every other lifeform on this planet trying to enjoy our biological birthright and I'm asking for your help.

I searched the daily apple for any information or posts regarding "Fracking", but all that came up was an oil&gas laborer mentioning its good for getting in shape.

I don't know if you know much about the Fracking process, but its how natural gas is extracted from rock formations deep underground. The "Fracking" process produces so called "Clean Energy" but the methods of extracting it is in no way "Clean" and have a negative lasting and permanent effect on the Earth around it. They basically drill holes into the earth thousands of feet deep and inject water mixed with around 500 chemicals into the ground to fracture the earth and release the gas. Many of these chemicals are known to cause fatal health problems including Brain Hemmorrhaging, Cancer, Lesions on the brain, exploding of the respiratory system and countless other ailments because they are known POISONS. This water is permanently rendered poisonous and they are using trillions upon trillions of gallons of water to do this! The "Produced Water" as they call it is stored in cheap tanks or just a giant pit in the ground for the water to seep back into the environment through the soil or evaporation into rain or leakage from the tanks. This tainted water seeps into everything around it including our water aquifers, lakes, streams, and wetlands where our food is!!! The gases seep into the very air around you and cause even more problems for living things

You may be thinking, "How in the hell is that even legal? What about the Safe Drinking Water act?". Well Dick Cheney and his Haliburton company lobbied heavily to exempt Natural Gas operations from these regulations, which they are trying to reverse now. This allows them to do what they do however and wherever they want.

Not only are they irresponsibly leaving "Produced Water" where it can taint the land and destroy our environment like oil spills destroy the ocean, they are causing earthquakes. Over 100 earthquakes were reported in Arkansas in December 2010. There were more earthquakes in 2010 than there have been here since the 20th century while the companies and governing bodies REFUSE to take responsibility for this! They are fracturing the earth along a giant FAULT LINE. They are doing a better job of destroying our country than any terrorist or enemy nation could ever hope to do. Destroying our environment and poisoning us.

You may have heard on the news thousands of fish and birds died suddenly here in Arkansas. Birds fell from the sky and fish popped up dead in the water. Those earthquakes are releasing the stored POISON the companies are shitting back into the earth and killing EVERYTHING.

Right now we shouldn't worry so much about artificial sweeteners, rancid oils and antibiotics. We should be worrying about the hundreds of chemicals leeching into the earth poisoning our food before its ever born or grown!!

This is just scratching the surface of the dangers of this operation. Please take the time out of your day to watch the movie Gasland, it exposes all of this in great detail.

PLEASE make a post about this on the daily apple, this is urgent and people need to know about this catastrophe. How can we be Primal if theres nothing clean and pure left? I love the romanticized idea of living off the land and being my Primal self....but this kinda stuff threatens that. Will the earth be ruined and we are forced to live inside bubbles and eat government issued rations? I don't want to lose my home and I'm sure everyone else doesn't either.

http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

Thanks for the daily apple, it rocks!

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Where is Harry Potter? There's a troll in the dungeon!
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    Where is Harry Potter? There's a troll in the dungeon!
    Yeah, I was just letting it go.....you know what they say about arguing on the internet.

You make it out to the Black Canyon much?
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Well that's a stretch.

This is a big issue in my city and I'm on the anti-fracking side of the argument as well. If I had a yard, I'd probably have one of these signs up. And I would be on board if you had just said "hey, this is off-topic, but it's something I care about."

But it's a bit of a reach to relate that to PB, or try to convince Mark to write a blog post about it. Maybe he'll disagree, but.. yikes.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    The only reason I had to see this is because I'm rewatching Battlestar Galactica, the series, from the beginning.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

It relates to PB in that we care about what is in our food and our environment. If you dont think it relates to PB then you do not understand the issue. This is happening all over the world. If toxins are being leeched out into the source of all we eat and breathe how can it not relate to your lifestyle? Please take this seriously....

Keep in mind the trillions of gallons of water is ruined with the chemicals. Reverse Osmosis filtering does not filter it. Do i have to link you videos of people lighting their tapwater on fire right out of the socket for this to be taken seriously? I may come off as pretty intense but this is very serious.

By making a post i mean an AWARENESS post. Just like our raw milk farmer family was in trouble a while back this needs similar attention.
    Last edited by Ardent; 01-18-2011 at 04:30 PM.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    This is also an issue in New York. Here is an organization that's working on it: http://www.nyh2o.org/#main/home

Sally is offline Member
    I wouldn't call that a troll at all - having read a bit about it, there is certainly concern. The damage caused affects not only people, but the livestock we are so fond of eating if we're primal. Already in Pennsylvania, cows have been quarantined that were exposed to toxic water caused by fracking, and in Louisiana as well.

If we care about a safe food supply, it's an interesting issue but not one I know all that much about yet. Just wanting to point out that it's not really a troll, nor is it particularly irrelevant to the conversations here.

I don't know if i mentioned this in the OP but the produced water is often gathered by the US Military for use in Bioweapons Research. If its stout enough stuff to use in Bioweapons Research i don't want it anywhere near the food i eat or the water i drink in any stage of its development. This stuff needs to be contained and disposed of somehow.

We can always bring in ice chunks from space to get more water once we get the space elevator working :P

If anyone needs an idea for venting frustration:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbr_tJh8E_o
    +hitting a heavy bag
    Last edited by Ardent; 01-18-2011 at 05:25 PM.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fine. I'll bite.

Stop driving a car and using heat/AC in your home and stop using all plastic products. Cook all your food over a fire of wood that you personally cut down. Don't take the bus either, or airplanes, or motorized boats. Everywhere you want to go, you must walk, ride a bike/horse/other animal, paddle, or swim.

THEN you can bitch about oil and gas exploration. But as long as the demand for petroleum products stays high, people are going to have to either develop new methods of tapping into potential reservoirs, whether that means drilling at lower depths or using technology that can extract stuff from low porosity rocks. And you don't like either of those, it seems.

@Adventure8410: I've done a couple hikes there, but haven't actually climbed any of the trad routes yet. It's too cold to think about doing that right now, lol, I'm in snowboarding mode.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast