Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fracking Situation! page 2

Ardent is offline Junior Member
    My answer to that is quit being a pansy about Chernobyl and realize nuclear energy is perfectly safe. Other countries are adopting it and doing fine. Thats the mentality thats gonna get our environment borked. Just because they produce the fuel we depend on DOESN'T mean they can pollute our streams and waters. I would gladly revert to a more simple civilization technologically if it meant not poisoning the earth.

Its not oil and gas exploration, its oil and gas "Exploitation"

Edit: Seriously, they tried this before and the Clean Water Act got passed. At this time Oil and Gas companies are exempt from those regulations. They can dirty up the land all they want. I'm not trying to troll you or anyone else.

It's the Almighty Dollar thats the problem here. The Almighty Dollar and not enough transparency into what these companies are doing and how it affects the environment. Electric Energy sources are apparently not profitable enough
    Last edited by Ardent; 01-18-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    Fine. I'll bite.

@Adventure8410: I've done a couple hikes there, but haven't actually climbed any of the trad routes yet. It's too cold to think about doing that right now, lol, I'm in snowboarding mode.
    I'm just going to hold my tongue on this little discussion, as far as I am concerned the OP does not possess the appropriate knowledge on the subject at hand to be attacking it in the manner he is; as far as he seems concerned Slick-water Fracking is the only type of Fracking there is, not to mention this 500 chemicals and bioweapon junk.

HAHAHA I was refering more to the geology of the Canyon, I'm a rockhounding nerd; I took a side trip to see it when I was out there for a field camp.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

So by your logic ignorant civilians should just bow down to the almighty edumacated oil and gas companies when their faucets are on fire.

I am trying to do what the people who made the documentaries are doing.

I'm just a guy who saw a documentary that presented a huge problem and im trying to do my part to spread the information. Unless YOUR faucets are on fire and your water is polluted you wouldn't know too much about it. It's common sense fracking next to or on top of drinking water aquifers for an entire state is a bad idea....but they do it anyway. Why? Because they can.

Spread the Word, Raise the Alarm, get people thinking about this. I dont want this to be true....but we cant afford to ignore something like this.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent View Post
    So by your logic ignorant civilians should just bow down to the almighty edumacated oil and gas companies when their faucets are on fire. I trying to do what the people who made the documentaries are doing.

Spread the Word, Raise the Alarm, get people thinking about this.
    I'm just a guy who saw a documentary that presented a huge problem and im trying to do my part to spread the information. Unless YOUR faucets are on fire and your water is polluted you wouldn't know too much about it. It's common sense fracking next to or on top of drinking water aquifers for an entire state is a bad idea....but they do it anyway. Why? Because they can.
    My issue here is that you saw a single documentary, from a single point of view, that filtered its facts through its lens to further strengthen its goals. Basing this entire apocalyptic post on a single data point is out of bounds, I would be more sympathetic to you if you weren't ranting and raving about this because you saw a documentary. I am not saying I disagree that there are some issues to Slick-water fracking, especially the Marcellus shale, but that is more related to the contamination of the water due to the higher radiation content of the shale itself, not mystical chemicals that companies are pumping down there.

Also, might I suggest that you investigate aquifer depths compared to drilling depths.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Well i feel very strongly about this kinda stuff. If it takes a ranting and raving lunatic to get some exposure on this well ok so be it. Peaceful protests in front of city halls apparently arent enough, and the internet is a vast place where information gets around.

Does radiated water turn brown and light on fire? Does it smell like death? Does it melt reverse osmosis filtering systems so that they cannot function?

These extreme effects happen in very close proximity to the wells...but they also likely affect the areas downstream with diminishing concentrations but they are still there. For all you know the salad greens you buy at the store could have traces of these chemicals that over a lifetime of consumption cause serious problems at this very moment and the concentrations only increasing as gas wells expand across the country as irresponsible management of this waste product continues. The governing bodies that test this water are ignoring this and saying the water is perfectly safe yet they wont drink it. People with these problems send it to water testing plants and it comes out with over 500 known and unknown chemicals. Something isn't right.

Watch the documentary and see for yourself. It's hard to filter thousands of dead fish and birds and water that lights on fire. Its pretty wysiwyg. Ranchers with their whole way of life threatened because of neighboring gas wells.

Disregard me and my personal hostile altruism and focus on the issue please

A documentary of people crying for help resigned to "just one documentary". How many of these films does it take? How much land will be ruined before people take it seriously?
    Last edited by Ardent; 01-18-2011 at 06:05 PM.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMac703 View Post
    Fine. I'll bite.

Stop driving a car and using heat/AC in your home and stop using all plastic products. Cook all your food over a fire of wood that you personally cut down. Don't take the bus either, or airplanes, or motorized boats. Everywhere you want to go, you must walk, ride a bike/horse/other animal, paddle, or swim.

THEN you can bitch about oil and gas exploration. But as long as the demand for petroleum products stays high, people are going to have to either develop new methods of tapping into potential reservoirs, whether that means drilling at lower depths or using technology that can extract stuff from low porosity rocks. And you don't like either of those, it seems.

@Adventure8410: I've done a couple hikes there, but haven't actually climbed any of the trad routes yet. It's too cold to think about doing that right now, lol, I'm in snowboarding mode.
    +1
    ad astra per aspera

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I'm just a guy who read a couple of articles, and heard a few radio news segments, and saw some bits about it on the teevee, and Fracking sounds like dogshit to me.

And yes I base the entirety of my opinion on incomplete information sets, that and the track record of energy industries world wide, and am perfectly happy being a hypocrite about it as I use my plastic and silicon computer running on nuclear powered electricity. Kiss my ass.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxxa View Post
    The only reason I had to see this is because I'm rewatching Battlestar Galactica, the series, from the beginning.
    hahaha. we finished the series last december. i'm here for the same reason.

I don't mean this thread to be some kind of arguing back and forth over who is a hypocrite and who isn't, i mean it to spread this stuff around.

Yeah it might be incomplete information sources because the "authorities" are being very dodgy about it. The same way we here at MDA expose the health/food industry for things based on faulty science, this seems to me to be the exact same thing. If the EPA isn't standing up for us we have to get their attention to the issue.

I am sure you have heard the exact same statements you are making to me from people you have tried to explain the primal lifestyle to. "Oh it's just one incomplete source" or "Well the FDA says its fine so whats the problem?". Irresponsible governing bodies not doing their job and helping those with the biggest pocketbook. You may not know every study and piece of data by heart, you may come off as enthusiastic and dogmatic, but it doesn't make the issue any less relevant because of it. Please don't shoot the messenger

Edit: As far as the Battlestar Galactic reference, i find this extremely ironic given the story line. Machines destroying humanity etc lol.

FRACKING FRACKERS FRACKING UP MY LAND!! haha.
    Last edited by Ardent; 01-18-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I used to frac in the oil patch, so I'm really getting a kick out of these replies.

(fark is awesome)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast