Thread: fasting and muscle wastage page

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

How long is it ok to fast for without worrying that your body will start using muscle for amino acids (and other things going wrong maybe)? Like many body builders get worried their muscles will waste away if they don't replenish every couple of hours, but we all know it's ok to eat only once a day. Well than what's too long? Is eating once every two days too long? Is there any studies done on this?

I think it's been covered in this forum before. If I recall, it's somewhere along the 30 - 48 hrs?

I could be wrong.

All I know is that 24 hrs is long enough.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

As was told to me in this very forum (by I forget who, sorry), your body will consume your muscle when you fast, whether that's 18 hours or 48. However, it will consume old, broken down tissues first, and repair them when you get some more protein into your system. So even though you technically are losing muscle, you aren't losing it for long, and you should expect a net gain if you're doing resistance training and eating enough on non-fasting days.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

My trainer put it to me this way, when you fast, you are going to be catabolic. However, when you come off of it, you will be more anabolic. Easy as that. It's like the buffalo theory, but not as funny.

Travis G Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Brad Pilon covers this extensivly in Eat Stop Eat and I think Lyle Mcdonald does too, but as long as you're using weights to work out you're not really going to have any muscle loss on a 24 hour fast. So going off of that, If you're eating and not using weights to work out you're still going to see some muscle loss over time.