Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole30 Results Thus Far page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Whole30 Results Thus Far

Primal Fuel
    So I am doing something similar to Whole30 this month, and after having some terrible cravings the last couple days decided to review my progress to remind me to stay on track.

As of Jan 1st I gave up alcohol, white potatoes, and dairy 100%, and to give the trial more help I am 99% free from grains or sugar (includes any form of sugar outside of veggies). I have already been low carb/gluten free for years, I have done dairy trials in the past (still included butter before, not including it this round), so none of this is new, its more just refining. Before Jan 1 even with all my decent eating, my chronic back pain has been worse lately and my hormones just won't get completely in order.

In the last 3 weeks I have seen my back pain that was getting really bad in Dec go away completely (took about a week of clean eating to notice improvement). I am back to sleeping good again pain free. Also my digestion is really settling down with almost no upset. So it is obvious one or all of the items I gave up was contributing to my pain flare ups and painful abdomen. Too soon to tell on the hormones, but in general I am feeling even keeled energy wise all day.

So whole30 has been a success so far. My cravings the last couple days are from hormones unfortunately, so just need to stick to my guns and get over the bump. I am really really thinking dairy was more of an issue then I thought it was. I will keep it out of my system for longer then 30 days and maybe do a test in a few months. Its been hard to adjust all my recipes, but if I stick to it I think I will get over that too.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    thats interesting about your pain going ... who would have thought dairy was such a problem... I admire your endurance. keep it up.

PrimalTrav is offline Junior Member
    Drinking can cause me back pain. Not sure why.

BeagleMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalTrav View Post
    Might be from falling over, and your back hit a big rock?

For me I think it all falls back to sugar since alcohol converts to it. Doesn't matter if I drink red wine or whiskey or vodka, if I start drinking more then say once a week I get in trouble. If I eat too many grains or sugar, usually the same thing happens. But lately it seems pretty easy to avoid sugar......but alcohol over the holidays snuck up on me again. Seems like it causes flares quicker then food does for me. <shrug>

It is nice to feel better, that is for sure. 15 years of chronic back pain, and while its been better, it rarely is gone completely.....so I relish when it is gone. Just need to keep up the good habits.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Nice to hear your progress, Meadow!

Yes, cutting dairy has been good for me, too! I'll probably only add butter/ghee back (and maybe occasional cream) but the more protein forms of dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt) are too insulin spiking for me- I lost some weight almost immediately after cutting them!

As for alcohol, it's pro-inflammatory. I learned over the years that, for me, the difference between having menstrual cramps and having menstrual AGONY was consuming alcohol shortly before/during my period. Of course, not consuming gluten and sugars minimizes them altogether

I just did a Whole30 update today:
    http://prettyinprimal.blogspot.com/2...nt-update.html

Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post

As for alcohol, it's pro-inflammatory. I learned over the years that, for me, the difference between having menstrual cramps and having menstrual AGONY was consuming alcohol shortly before/during my period. Of course, not consuming gluten and sugars minimizes them altogether
    Mine used to be horrible. They are still not great, but reduced carbs helps it a lot. I gave up alcohol for 9 months once (no kids, just health reasons...random time period), so I know it is not the 100% key because I still had issues, but it is a component in the sugar war for me.
    Last edited by Meadow; 01-18-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I drink to help with back pain. I guess it's a personal thing, like gluten and dairy intolerance.

Primal Rolla is offline Junior Member
    Good to hear your results :-)

I am on day 21 today and feeling ok - I am sure I'd be a lot better without a stressful life situation going on, but I think I feel calmer from eating very clean and more able to cope.

Physically I am down at least 14lbs (only weighing at the mid point and the end), my skin has stopped being dry, my foot is no longer painful and I have recovered from and injury and a cold super quickly.

Having never given up dary before I will probably only add in ghee, then butter and cream if I can, like Hazyjane.

I do think I might be allergic to coconut milk and/or oil though - which is a real shame.

Okay, so 23 days in and I am noticing another benefit. I have had pain across one of my vertebra about 3/4 down my back for years. Its not muscle pain per say, its like a band over the bone itself and frankly doesn't bother me unless I happen to bump that bone directly on something. Its odd, with all my back problems and pain, this one is totally different, almost like a bruise. Exercise, stretching, nothing effects it. My doc indicated no indication of issues. My acupuncturist identified it as an area indicating digestive issues. Sometimes it would fade a bit with repeated acupuncture treatments, but I have never been able to get rid of it with all my dietary changes.

23 days now without dairy, very little sugar, grains, or alcohol, and that band of pain is definitely reducing. The biggest change with this whole30 is sticking to no dairy (including no butter) for probably the longest period ever. I suspect dairy is going to be out of my diet for good after this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast