Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calorie Deficit page

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member

Calorie Deficit

I'm so used to eating 1200 cals, thanks to CW. I was wondering how many cals I should limit myself to? So many sites give me such different answers. Is there a sure way to find out?
    I want to lose a lot of body fat

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    dont pay attention to some online calculator, a calorie entered in your mouth is NOT a calorie in your bloodstrem and body. dont even count your calories if you are eating when your hungry and stopping when your satisfied. if you 'think' your going to starve yourself at 1200calories b/c you 'read that somewhere' then you brain takes that signal and yup, prolly will happen and vise versa. however, if you eat unknown calories and LISTEN to your body, your brain will be forced, as well as you, to learn hunger cues and regulation.

canio6 Guest
    I am sure someone will chime in with an 'official' answer, but I started recently, like yourself, and eating until I am satisfied has worked for me. I haven't counted a single calorie or worried about how many calories I have eaten. Eat when you are hungry, stop when you are not.

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    I want to eat MORE calories is the thing, but afraid to put on weight after working so very hard to get it off. I'm limiting myself to 50 carbs a day for weight loss and diabetes reasons. That's why I was asking. Exactly how much is too much? I have been eating until full (often until I trigger my gag reflex-- which doesn't take a whole lot of food), but then I'm hungry again very soon after. So I'm kinda confused.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Although there most definitely IS such a thing as "too much" while on your transitioning phase just eat when hungry.

I'm convinced, that if one eats primarily meat, vegetables and naturally occurring fats (as in, don't overdo the butter as it's man-made) it would be difficult for a person without hormonal issues to gain weight. It's hard for the body to over do it with these things, and it reaches a homeostasis eventually.
    so try for that, when hungry, look for protein and fat, don't reach for fruits and nuts, you should lose fat that way.

canio6 Guest
    It sounds like you are asking for a magic number, "If you eat X calories a day you will lose all the fat you want, be happy, healthy, and beloved by the people!" I would presume it depends on your own body, your base metabolic rate and the like. You've been eating 1200 calories, try eating 1500 for a week. Did you gain weight? Lose? Do your clothes feel more loose?

As for triggering a gag reflex - I thought that was due to trying to swallow too much at once, though it sounds like you have some kind of psychological issue where you eat 'too much' in one meal and gag. If that is the case I have no idea what to tell you.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    I'm a counter, also, but I am really getting tired of monitoring it. Much like the scale, the numbers can mean whatever you want them to mean. I am thinking of not logging food and using my body as an indicator of hunger/fullness. PLUS - doing so removes one more source of stress.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Ignore calories. Focus on satiety. Look at my sig line for how to do this.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    I want to eat MORE calories is the thing, but afraid to put on weight after working so very hard to get it off. I'm limiting myself to 50 carbs a day for weight loss and diabetes reasons. That's why I was asking. Exactly how much is too much? I have been eating until full (often until I trigger my gag reflex-- which doesn't take a whole lot of food), but then I'm hungry again very soon after. So I'm kinda confused.
    listen to your body, and what youre saying. 'limiting yourself' and 'afraid of more calories' IS ALL MENTAL. you are telling yourself

a- carbs make you fat
    b- be you need to limit your food

i dont know what triggering a gag reflex is but you should eat big when you do eat and not in between, focus on fat if you think you need to eat 4-5 times a day and itll change overtime

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Since I know from experience it can be hard to "listen to your body" when you're just starting primal (as Dr. Kurt Harris says, sure we should listen to our bodies, but only after we've broken our addictions), I would suggest you find an online calculator to calculate your calorie needs to MAINTAIN your current weight and activity level and use that as a benchmark. You may find that you're hungry enough to eat all that, or you may find that on days when you lift heavy or sprint, you need a little more, but that's a good number to aim for when planning meals if you need a number. FitDay actually has a calorie calculator when you set it up, or else I like this website (ignore all the CRON stuff and scroll to the bottom; I just make up a number for "Actual calories" because it doesn't affect the calculation of anything above the dotted line).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast