Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lesser of evils? page

runnergal is offline Senior Member

Lesser of evils?

Primal Fuel
    My family is what you would call anti-primal (given her way, which she isnt, my daughter would eat only grains, beans and dairy) I will try to transition them as much as possible away from grains slowly, but there are somethings I will have a very very long battle with.

Breakfast cereal/grains is probably tops on the list. Even before PB I was pretty whole foods but I couldnt talk my husband out of cold cereal and the kids picked it up from him. I can get them to eat oatmeal which at least isnt processed.

My question is, of all the grain based breakfast foods, which do you think is the least damaging? (Rice and rice cereals are not an option) Oats? "Gluten free" oats?
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don't have a good answer for you, but definitely NOT oats.

Maybe bread? I grew up having sandwiches for breakfast, like egg sandwiches or "leftover" sandwiches. Try to find portuguese rolls and see if your kids will gut it out before eating it, so they don't eat so much of the flour and it becomes more like a wrap or flatbread than a big doughy bread.

Surprised so many kids are anti bacon and eggs... I don't understand the appeal of cereal/oats anymore, especially cold! but everyone's different.

My kids eat bacon and eggs, but they also want cereal.

dh will not give up cereal. He just wont. Why is oats worse than wheat? Pretty much we are talking a choice between oats, wheat or corn.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    Why no rice cereals?

Aside from the complete lack of nutrition.

What are gluten free oats? What kind of process do they go through? I have never heard of such a thing.

I dunno, but they sell gluten free oats, I've seen them - bob's red mill I think. They sell gluten free everything.

Dh wont eat rice cereals because they are like eating air. you could eat 10 bowls and still be starving. We are talking I am going to have to take baby baby baby steps with my family.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    My family is what you would call anti-primal (given her way, which she isnt, my daughter would eat only grains, beans and dairy) I will try to transition them as much as possible away from grains slowly, but there are somethings I will have a very very long battle with.

Breakfast cereal/grains is probably tops on the list. Even before PB I was pretty whole foods but I couldnt talk my husband out of cold cereal and the kids picked it up from him. I can get them to eat oatmeal which at least isnt processed.

My question is, of all the grain based breakfast foods, which do you think is the least damaging? (Rice and rice cereals are not an option) Oats? "Gluten free" oats?
    None of them are good, and there's really no way to say "this is less damaging." They are GRAINS. By definition, they are poison and you should not eat them.

Trust me, a few weeks of bacon and eggs and your children won't care about cereal anymore.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    For the kids (and maybe the husband too), check out champorado, it's a Filipino chocolate rice porridge. You boil rice in milk (start with 2-1/2 to 3 times the volume of rice, then adjust next time for texture) and cocoa powder. Each bowl is then individually seasoned with butter and sugar. Only harmful thing about it is that it's a carb-fest, but sounds like there's no avoiding that with your family.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    My kids eat bacon and eggs, but they also want cereal.

dh will not give up cereal. He just wont. Why is oats worse than wheat? Pretty much we are talking a choice between oats, wheat or corn.
    Do a quick search for "the heart scan blog" on the web and you will see why. I'm not sure if it's worse, but it's just as bad, hard to pick a lesser evil.

Challenge your husband to have a manlier breakfast, tell him cereal is for the kids but not for him. If he fights you on it, buy him Pebbles Fruit Loops. I'm being 100% serious, poke his manliness, dare him to "eat like a man" from morning to night for two weeks. I don't mean to sound like a chauvinistic pig, and I know all the women here know full well there's no such thing as eating like a man, but maybe it will make your husband rise up to the challenge, just to prove you wrong. The end result is to get him to not eat cereals.

He can't make an argument for it other than "I like it, I'm used to it" etc etc, dare him to break away from it for some time. There's no nutritional factor there, and forget the idea of "breakfast foods" food is food, have him eat leftover meats with sweet potato hashbrowns (or regular white potatoes, at least while we're working on letting go of grains) sausage, bacon, eggs, etc.. if they already eat that have them eat more of it, leave less room for the crap.

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    I made protein bars last night, using this recipe:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-energy-bar-redux/

Hubby liked them. The 2yo liked them. I think it's a good step in the right direction. Maybe try making them and using them in place of cereal? One breakfast won't hurt anybody

I think what I am gathering from this is work on their dinners and lunches and leave the baby step of breakfast for LAST

@inIquity - I find it interesting you suggest the "cereal for the kids but not for him". My concern is really the other way. He's a grown up, he wants to eat crap that is his choice. As a parent my responsibility is to my kids. HArd to do with his influence, but really my only concern.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast