Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Craving sugar immediately after eating. Why? page 3

mystifiedu is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    You need to increase your saturated fats in your diet . Add bacon fat, butter, beef fat or coconut oil to your diet. I think you will see a difference in your sweet tooth lessening

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Animals are creatures of habit and routine, so if in your pre-Primal days you always had dessert, then maybe your body is still gearing up for that. Hubs and I have a habit of eating dessert every night an hour or so after dinner. This is a hard habit to break, so for now we are starting with portion control - just having half the sorbet we used to have, or a small after-dinner Kahlua, or plain yogurt with fruit.

I did make a batch of candied walnuts using Splenda, and I dole these out a little at a time too.

skinnybuddah is offline Junior Member
    I often like an espresso or stove top coffee after a meal and now sprinkle some cinnamon on it, which I 've seen studies reporting that this reduces sugar cravings, seems to work okay for me most of the time.... (reminds me of starbucks christmas blend that we get seasonally over here in uk)

I've heard the same of cloves as well.... and often wonder if using cinnamon and cloves in cooking the main meat meal would help reduce post meal cravings. (I made a curry a couple of nights back using cardamon, cloves and cinnamon as part of the spice mix and interestingly enough didn't have a sugar craving afterwards....)

Nothing worse than spoiling a days good eating by having a sugar binge though

richard is offline Senior Member
    You don't have this craving much if you eat very moderate protein. The big fault with the way a lot of people eat is too much protein. This triggers cravings among other things, especially right after eating in my experience. You may get the craving as a habit, loving something sweet, but the habit fades away so long as you don't go overboard on the protein.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmama View Post
    The main times I crave sweets is immediately following a meal. Any theories about why that happens? I don't tend to have the mid-afternoon carb/sugar cravings that I've heard about from others. For me, it's right after I eat something I want something sweet to cleanse my pallett. So far, I've been able to "cure" the craving with a square of dark chocolate, and sometimes peppermint tea works too. I just have to be cautious with the chocolate that it's just a square (or sometimes two) and not the entire bar.
    Did you eat dessert after dinner growing up?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I kind of feel that, too. But drinking a lot of water before eating seems to prevent it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Ahhh! Yes, I get that too. When I was being totally strict with myself and eating very low carb I didn't get it, but now I have loosened up on the carbs adding more fruit and occasional dates etc. the demon is coming out again. I once had a book that particularly addressed this issue and recommend "Enders". Which included a square of chocolate or a few nuts or a 1 boiled candy. For me that is a very slippery slope though.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

L0kI is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I get this primarily after breakfast and lunch... I think my body is used to carbs for breakie, so it's like... "Yo... where's the sugar?" I try to have one of my daily pieces of fruit with my breakfast... ideally this shuts the craving up. And at lunch, I kick the craving in the face by having a very bitter herbal tea instead. But I may have some berries later in the afternoon.

I'm still new, so I'm still experimenting and getting over some old habits (always have something sweet after a meal)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123