Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Older and need help. page

RWSSR is offline Junior Member

Older and need help.

Shop Now
    I'm in my late 60's and have had a 2 stent angioplasty about 3 years ago, I take Plavix and a BP med daily. I also have mild Diverticulitis which was diagnosed just recently, I was told to increase my fiber intake . I am overweight by about 50 lbs. and have been trying to stay healthy with more unprocessed grains and psyllium cutting out seeds and nuts.

Many years ago I suffered a herniated disc which left me with a numb left foot and very weak calf muscle, resulting in the inability to run or sprint.

I came across Mark's program and liked what I read, I downloaded his Primal Blueprint Fitness & Cookbook e-Books, are they different than his printed versions?

Lastly, how do I do the weekly run/sprint with a left leg that won't perform to the level that it sounds like is needed?

I know this is a lot of questions to ask but if anyone out there can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    RWSSR

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

I could be wrong, but I think that the Primal Blueprint Fitness book is only an e-book, so you definitely have the official version. There are two PB cookbooks - one is reader submitted (the e-book) and one is from Mark and his team (the printed book).

Sprinting doesn't have to be running - it can be any cardiovascular workout done at near-maximum exertion. So, you can swim, row, bike, or even dance, as long as you are achieving adequate intensity.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

kitana is offline Senior Member
    You might find more responses in the 'Fitness' forum. Have you worked with a physical therapist?

I've had back surgery and as a result I only have about 10% of the disk between L4 & L5 left as well as permanent nerve damage all the way down my left leg to the tip of my big toe. This means any impact is really jarring and can leave me jolting with nerve symptoms for days. Lots of people get scornful about it, but for me the elliptical has been a godsend. I typically do a circuit with interval sprints on the elliptical, sprints on the recumbant bike and then a cool down on the treadmill with high incline (reduces impact). Swimming is also great for the back. On the weekends I snowshoe or hike, and I typically strengthen with pilates and do tai chi for stability, flexibilty, meditation and pain control. In some ways I'm grateful for the nerve damage - within minutes after I aggravate my back the nerves in my leg light up like a christmas tree and I know not to do that again. There's a fine line between pushing myself and hurting myself.

Good luck to you! I've had some really good physical therapists and I periodically go back to them to change things up and make sure I'm doing things safely. I've also had some pilates instructors who were even better than a PT! But most of all my desire to do sprints or lift weights will never be as strong as my desire to avoid future surgery. Thus I've had to recognize that I do have limitations and maximize the things I CAN do instead of longing for that which may be routine for some folks, but which is out-of-reach for me.

BTW - most people are shocked when they find out I have had surgery. I workout regularly, have a strong core and move so well that they never see all the little things I do to compensate for the weak spot I have in my spine. However keeping my weight healthy and my body strong is the best thing I can do for it.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RWSSR View Post
    I'm in my late 60's and have had a 2 stent angioplasty about 3 years ago, I take Plavix and a BP med daily. I also have mild Diverticulitis which was diagnosed just recently, I was told to increase my fiber intake . I am overweight by about 50 lbs. and have been trying to stay healthy with more unprocessed grains and psyllium cutting out seeds and nuts.

Many years ago I suffered a herniated disc which left me with a numb left foot and very weak calf muscle, resulting in the inability to run or sprint.

I came across Mark's program and liked what I read, I downloaded his Primal Blueprint Fitness & Cookbook e-Books, are they different than his printed versions?

Lastly, how do I do the weekly run/sprint with a left leg that won't perform to the level that it sounds like is needed?

I know this is a lot of questions to ask but if anyone out there can help me, it would be greatly appreciated.
    RWSSR
    1) Please go immediately to Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis website & spend some quality time reviewing his posts
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/

2) Take 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 geltabs daily & then get your Vit D Blood Test in 2 months to verify optimum reading 60-70 ng/ml

3) Follow the strict Paleo Diet - no grains, sugars, legumes.

See details in my links below
    Grizz

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    RWSSR,
    I have cerebral palsy and bone on bone arthritis in my left, CP affected, knee. My entire left side doesn't perform normally. I started my journey by walking 5 minutes a day on the treadmill. I can now do several miles, including what I consider sprints for ME. Lifting heavy things is difficult because of the CP but I have found ways that work for me.

You can sprint on a treadmill, in the pool, on an exercise bike, or in any manner that gets your cardiovascular system working hard. My suggestion is to dial in your food choices first. You might be surprised how giving up grains helps pain and overall function.

Start low and slow with an exercise you can do comfortably (and enjoy). Then build from there, increasing time and effort, slowly, yet consistently.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

As far as the book is concerned, I don't think the Fitness ebook is not the same as his book. I've downloaded the ebook and bought his book; not the same. BUT, there is tons on his blog that is virtually the same info as his book. I just prefer to have pages to mark up and refer back to when I'm not online.

Glad you're here!

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Good advice above. All I would add is affirming that it is not just OK to adapt, you need to adapt your program to what works for you. I haven't been doing water exercise lately, but that's what I need to do. That and dog walking. So, it isn't perfectly conforming, but perfect conformance is not the goal. The goal is to develop your capabilities and build health.

Timgoingprimal is offline Junior Member

Welcome newbie here also

I just started because of weight(50lbs also) and being diabetic. I walk every other day for as long as possible to help with the weight loss. With advice from folks on here i cut out the fruit/sugar and have very little amount of nuts and seeds. I dropped 6lbs in the first week eating meat and vegs so far and blood sugar has dropped. Go luck with knee dont push it to the limit but after that big steak dinner get up and walk brother and you will feel so much better in the AM.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RWSSR View Post

More important than anything else is to get the diet down first IMO. That will have the greatest impact. Getting the fitness specifics down can come with time. If you haven't seen it yet, here is the Primal Blueprint 101--just about everything one needs to know about this diet/lifestyle can be found here. I recommend reading through it all if possible! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ And this link is basically The Primal Blueprint in a nutshell: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...mal-blueprint/ (super helpful IMO!)

My dad has had some impressively positive changes as far as blood pressure and back pain are concerned since adopting a more primal style diet. Here is a link about it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ressure-and-PB

Interestingly, he had a perferated colon (due to diverticular disease) and has had herniated disc issues that have caused both pain and numbness in one of his legs. (So some commonalities between the two of you.) He's had multiple back surgeries, but most recently, changing his diet and being VERY aware of how he moves (bending at the hip/pelvis--keeping his spine long and straight and not bending there) has helped a lot. You'll see more details about this in the above link.

Good luck! I'd be very VERY cautious incorperating the fitness aspects in right now because of the back issues. The best place to start, if you are not doing it already, is by moving steadily at a slow pace--walking--as much as feels good to you. Even if it's not that much--do what feels good to you. And allow yourself some (or a lot of!) healing time before trying to add in lift heavy things workouts and sprinting. And I'd only do so with some support from very knowledgeable folks like physical therapists or maybe a personal trainer who deals with back patients etc who know your specific issues and limitations. (I'd esp caution against trying to sprint by running or on an exercise bike b/c of the disc issues!) I just get nervous about folks injuring themselves further. My dad has dealt with these back issues his whole life, and I know how debilitating they can be. One wrong move can impact you for days, weeks, even months (as I'm sure you're aware, dealing with this!).

By far the greatest impacting thing you can do for your health (IMO) is to control what goes into your mouth. That's the most important place to start when it comes to PB IMO.

Good luck!!!! Keep us updated on how you are doing!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitana View Post
    I typically do a circuit with interval sprints on the elliptical, sprints on the recumbant bike and then a cool down on the treadmill with high incline (reduces impact). Swimming is also great for the back. On the weekends I snowshoe or hike, and I typically strengthen with pilates and do tai chi for stability, flexibilty, meditation and pain control.
    I think you've got tons of great advice here kitana! I'll share it with my dad!

One thing I wanted to add is that if you are going to try pilates, I'd be VERY careful and make sure you've got a teacher who has a great understanding of back issues. So much of pilates is done in flexion that it could potentially be very damaging to one's back if done incorrectly. (I have an aunt who's doctor asked that she stop doing pilates b/c of her back issues.) It's just something to be aware of and look into!

My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast