Thread: Going Natural / Chemical Free page

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member

Going Natural / Chemical Free

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so I am big on the idea of going chemical free and natural like many on this forum have. But I have a few questions...

Hair - Okay here already, I stopped using shampoo and conditioner a while back after going PB because I just didn't need it anymore.

Deodorant - Do you guys still use this?

Soap - Do you just use water?

Shaving - Do you use something else (something natural) in place of shaving cream or just hot water?

Toothpaste - Any changes here to go chemical free?

Thanks ahead of time!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehallowprince View Post
    Hair - Okay here already, I stopped using shampoo and conditioner a while back after going PB because I just didn't need it anymore.

Shaving - Do you use something else (something natural) in place of shaving cream or just hot water?

hair and soap and deodorant...i haven't used shampoo, soap or deodorant since august, and nobody has noticed a difference.

shaving cream...i recently started growing a beard, so i haven't been shaving, but when i did i would just shave in the shower, letting the hot water do the trick

toothpaste...i still use toothpaste. i think i like the fresh breath aspect of it, but i don't think it's an actual necessity. i'm guessing just water or something natural (not sure what) could do the trick

dakini is offline Senior Member
    Hair - I use baking soda and an apple cider and water rinse. I don't usually use any styling products. So far, so good.

Deodorant - I still use this, but I recently tried making my own with arrowroot, coconut oil, and baking soda. It's working great for me, and I'm not getting the reaction I used to from commercial deodorants (i like i was allergic to some of the chemicals)

Soap - I use baking soda in the shower. I still use soap for some things like sticky hands.

Shaving - I still use my all in one shavers

Toothpaste - I'm going to be trying baking soda, but haven't yet.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you make make your own herbal toothpastes, or buy herbal toothpastes at a health food store. just do some google searches.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    For shaving I like coconut oil. It moisturizes and makes it "slick" for the razor, and is antibacterial so that's a plus!

Toothpaste, I'm using Tom's right now, but I've heard of baking soda and also coconut oil from various peeps.

I'm still using shampoo. I need don't use it often, maybe a little once a week.. but I need to go through the adjustment period to no shampoo again. Hubs leaves in a week, so I'll have more alone time and can put my hair up during the process!

Soap - I use an all-natural REAL soap. But, only on certain parts, and a lot of times I'll just 'rinse" and let the water do its' thing.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    I use one of those salt stick and use regular deodorant if I am going out with friends.

Usually just water, but I have coconut soap that I got from Tropical Traditions that I use once or twice a week.

I still use shaving cream. Would be interested to here the alternatives. My beard is super course and thick. My neck is the worse.

I still use regular toothpaste just because I have a ton of it from Costco. But I plan on switching to a Tom's brand of something.
    Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by thehallowprince View Post
    Okay, so I am big on the idea of going chemical free and natural like many on this forum have. But I have a few questions...

Thanks ahead of time!
    I still like shampoo (I use Max Green Alchemy) and I use a couple of drops of argan oil as my leave-in conditioner. The no-shampoo thing doesn't work for me. It seems to work better for guys and people with short hair.

I use fresh lemon juice as my deodorant. I've found it works better than the crystals or any natural brands.

I use soap still. I use Dr. Ohira's probiotic soap or gentle soap from a local company. Sometimes I use a homemade sugar/oil scrub.

For shaving, oil works great on my legs. I use soap, too.

Toothpaste- I use Trader Joe's Fluoride/SLS Free fennel flavor. It's really Tom's of Maine repackaged and sold for less $$. You can use baking soda, though, or even something like Peelu powder (I used to use that- like brushing your teeth with sawdust, LOL! Talk about natural...)
    I've found that putting some hydrogen peroxide on my toothbush along with my toothpaste and leaving it on my teeth for a few minutes does a great job of whitening, if I've been drinking too much coffee/tea and my teeth are showing it.