Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand - why shun nuts?? page 3

adipocyte Guest

Primal Fuel

It occurs to me that Grok would never have had access to handfuls and handfuls of shelled nuts. He'd have to pick them and then use a tool less efficient than a nutcracker to shell them one by one.

I think the kcal numbers for nuts are off. No one digests and absorbs nuts in their entirety! But still, very easy to eat quite a bunch in one sitting of already shelled.

Hmm. Now I want to go get some unshelled walnuts and almonds and see if I can crack them open, and how many I would eat before giving up on the whole process.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I try to limit my consumption of nuts to 1/2 cup a day, and I only eat 1/4 cup at a time generally. I'm just eating almonds right now because they are readily available and I don't like walnuts unless they are in baked goods, which I've now shunned. lol

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Okay you guys convinced me then. No more nuts for now. I don't even want to finish the last walnuts I have left. I really need to lose this stupid stomach fat.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Raphael S., I also have cans of nuts leftover from when those guys gave me a similar lecture

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

RS, I, too have severely reduced my almond intake after some time on the forum. It was far too easy to &#39;overdose&#39; on them anyways, especially those darn things are roasted (I could eat a day&#39;s worth of calories in almonds).

If you feel a craving, try making homemade almond butter- I find that a few tsp satisfies cravings (better than 2 cups of nuts).

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

If you are trying to lose weight, i guess limiting them might be a good idea but if you&#39;re not... then go for it...

adipocyte, that&#39;s a wonderful idea. Growing up in the late 70&#39;s, early 80&#39;s, my parents were loving the &#39;hippy&#39; movement because they all went back to our &#39;natural&#39; roots, thus we always had a big bowl of shelled nuts with a handy little nut-cracker on top of them.

Whenever I was wanting a snack, or just wanted to hang with my parents while they cooked, I&#39;d just lean against the kitchen counter and &#39;crack&#39; away. It&#39;s like tapping into that incessant need to &#39;fiddle&#39; your fingers with something and then eat that sweet reward at the end.

I know I only ate a few nuts that way, in comparison to several handfuls if they would have been sitting there already shelled.

I bet it&#39;s WAY cheaper to buy them in their shells too.

Come to think of it, I don&#39;t even know where they would sell them still in their shells anymore. Are they still in the bins at the local Co-op? Hmmm....

Okay so it&#39;s settled - no more nuts for a while now.

In terms of weight loss, the cheese is okay, right? I eat a lot of that too. Let me know.

Raphael,

For weight-loss, I&#39;d eat cheese as a treat. I think you can still lose weight on 1 - 2 servings per week, but for your goals, you may want to limit the cheese.

(Trust me, from one cheese/ dairy lover to another, it sucks, but once we are at maintenance, it will be totally fine to indulge).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

But why! What&#39;s wrong with cheese? It&#39;s just fat and protein...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast