Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand - why shun nuts?? page 2

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

Raphael,

Just stick with like Macadamia nuts, and cashews, and almonds.

You should be good.

Jess, I don't know about monounsaturated fats and weight loss. My guess is that they're 100% OK because they're found in animal fat too.

Olive oil is mainly monounsaturated fat too.

Regarding nuts and Omega 6 and 3...

Here's a quote from another post I made in the past on the subject:

"Check out this chart below:

(Data from the USDA database)

g. per 100 g. of nuts

------> Omega-6, Omega-3

Almonds 13.52 0.00

Peanuts 15.10 0.00

Pecans 20.63 0.99

Walnuts 38.09 9.08

Pistachio 13.64 0.26

Cashew 8.48 0.07

Macadamia 1.30 0.20

Check out Walnuts.

Although they have a good "ratio" they still have *38* grams of omega 6 per 100 grams. Ouch!

At that point, I don't care too much about the ratio.

Now check out Macadamia nuts with ONE gram of omega 6 per 100 grams. (Even though it has about a 6:1 ratio)

I'll take the Macadamia nuts over walnuts any day now!

And check *this* out. Although Cashews have a whopping 121:1 ratio (One hundred and twenty one to ONE!) they only have 8 grams of omega 6 in them.

You'd have to eat almost 475 grams of Cashews to match 100 grams of Walnuts in terms of Omega 6 consumption.

Man!"

Hope that helps!

-Sean

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

What's wrong with Omega 6? Sorry, I am kind of busy doing homework right now and can't research on it... a simple answer will do.

The way I view it, is that Grok didn't know a thing about Omega 3 and 6 so why should we care?

And thanks for the advice, I think I'll stick to almonds. I prefer them over walnuts anyways - I just toasted some, yummm...

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

gn
    gn is offline Junior Member

well, it is very difficult to stop eating them once you have started which is, providing their high caloric content, is quite dangerous in terms of fat loss

besides, nuts have one of the highest oxalate level of all foods - the last year, after eating about a half a kilogram of almonds i ended up with kidney stones

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Too much omega 6 leads to inflammation, which leads to a list of disorders/diseases. If you eat your macadamia nuts, cashews and almonds moderately (no more than 4oz a day, perhaps,) I don&#39;t see a problem with it. I go to school from about 10ish to 2ish and 11ish to 3ish four days a week, and I&#39;ll usually *skip* lunch and supplement with a generous serving of nuts until I get home. Works for me. I would only use nuts as a last resort...

4oz is a cup right? I think I had 2 cups today lol

Thanks all, I&#39;ll stick with the almonds. And if I can find cheap cashews, I will too.

maba is offline Senior Member

@gn: I had no idea that nuts had high amounts of oxalates. Thanks for that info. There was a time when I was eating close to a 1/4 lb of almonds a day, but I&#39;ve reduced the amount to about 1 oz. I&#39;ve run out of almonds now and I&#39;m resisting the urge to buy more.

Yeah, I too just ate the last few of them. I&#39;m gonna go a week or two without any to see what happens in terms of weightloss.

Either way, I&#39;ve already given up WAY too many things, so no, most likely I&#39;m gonna keeping eating tons of nuts and not feel bad anymore.

grandma is offline Member

Back to the weight loss issues -- The way I see it, nuts are a snack typically and they are not very satiating (I can eat them endlessly) so people tend to over do it. If you get 21g of your 50g from a snack, it seems you are pretty likely to go over 50g. Also, snacking may not be the best road to weight loss, if you snack on nuts between every meal, isn&#39;t this a lot like eating 5 meals a day? We know that IF can be a better scheme, so it seems to me (just applying logic not science) that nuts can easily derail weight loss. Lots of people here have observed this.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

klcarbaugh Guest

I heard that the omega-6 was what stalled weight loss when eating nuts, via poor thyroid signaling or conversion:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co...uppresses.html

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Back to Jr. High, Raphael! I guess it&#39;s Middle School, now.

An American cup is 8 fluid ounces. It&#39;s volumetric. However, water weighs one ounce per fluid ounce. You know, the jingle, "Water&#39;s a pint a pound, the world around."

Nuts have about 800 calories per cup.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast