Thread: Refeeds! Your thoughts? page

Weird problem when fasting

Primal Fuel
    Do any of you have refeeds? If so, how often, and what do you usually refeed with?

My other question would be, lately I've been having this strange sensation when I do intermittent fasting...some mornings I'll get very hungry, and then when I try to drink some water my stomach actually hurts for a couple of seconds, and sometimes the feeling almost rises into my chest. It's very uncomfortable, but doesn't last long...after drinking a little more it subsides, but I've been having this for days now. Does anyone know about this? Could it be an acid buildup? (I drink coffee)
    Last edited by sneezingstardust; 01-18-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    I add in sweet potatoes once or twice a week. On my workout days (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), I tend to follow a more Leangains approach. I never eat breakfast, though I sometimes have a cup of coffee with coconut milk. So I work out more or less fasted, then eat sometime between noon and 2pm. That meal is usually high protein, with about 3/4 cup of sweet potatoes on the side (on top of veggies). I only add sweet potatoes on a workout day, and only twice a week at most, and only with the meal that directly follows the workout.

Otherwise, I don't do refeeds unless they fall into the 20%, like eating over at a friend's.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Grizz is offline Banned
    Please remove Oatmeal from you list:
    Oatmeal is a NO NO !

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiologist Dr. Davis
    You've heard it before: oatmeal reduces cholesterol. Oatmeal producers have obtained permission from the FDA to use a cholesterol-reducing claim. The American Heart Association provides a (paid) endorsement of Quaker Oats.

I've lost count of the times I've asked someone whether they ate a healthy breakfast and the answer was "Sure. I had oatmeal."

Is this true? Is oatmeal heart healthy because it reduces LDL cholesterol?

I don't think so. Try this: Have a serving of slow-cooked (e.g., steel-cut, Irish, etc.) oatmeal. Most people will consume oatmeal with skim or 1% milk and some dried or fresh fruit. Wait an hour, then check your blood sugar.

If you are not diabetic and have a fasting blood sugar in the "normal" range (<100 mg/dl), you will typically have a 1-hour blood glucose of 150-180 mg/dl--very high. If you have mildly increased fasting blood sugars between 100 and 126 mg/dl, postprandial (after-eating) blood sugars will easily exceed 180 mg/dl. If you have diabetes, hold onto your hat because, even if you take medications, blood sugar one hour after oatmeal will usually be between 200 and 300 mg/dl.

This is because oatmeal is converted rapidly to sugar, and a lot of it. Even if you were to repeat the experiment with no dried or fresh fruit, you will still witness high blood sugars in these ranges. Do like some people and pile on the raisins, dried cranberries, or brown sugar, and you will see blood sugars go even higher.

Blood sugars this high, experienced repetitively, will damage the delicate insulin-producing beta cells of your pancreas (glucose toxicity). It also glycates proteins of the eyes and vascular walls. The blood glucose effects of oatmeal really don't differ much from a large Snickers bar or bowl of jelly beans.

If you are like most people, you too will show high blood sugars after oatmeal. It's easy to find out . . . check your postprandial blood sugar.

In past, I recommended oat products, specifically oat bran, to reduce LDL, especially small LDL. I've changed my mind: I now no longer recommend any oat product due to its blood sugar-increasing effects.

Better choices: eggs, ground flaxseed as a hot cereal, cheese (the one dairy product that does not excessively trigger insulin), raw nuts, salads, leftovers from last evening's dinner.
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...od-or-bad.html
    Grizz

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I do mine when I'm actually in the mood to have sweet potatoes (my go-to refeed food, my favorite starch) so I haven't had any in maybe two weeks but been eating other starch like white rice sometimes.

I might change to put it directly after a workout but I'm not sure yet, I like eating driven by hunger and cravings right now, doesn't complicate things.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Is it considered a refeed if it's daily or is a refeed referring to more sporadic time periods?

I eat a sweet potato and a banana at least 4 times a week directly post-workout after a crossfit or jiu jitsu session. On wednesday and saturday (my recovery days) I don't eat very many carbs at all.

I don't know if that helps you or not.

edit: I am a liar. I have recently been eating butternut squash mixed with butter and cinnamon on some days.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    when i get hungry, i 'refeed'.....then i wait until i am hungry again....and 'refeed'....

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post

edit: I am a liar. I have recently been eating butternut squash mixed with butter and cinnamon on some days.
    haha love that stuff!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Is it considered a refeed if it's daily or is a refeed referring to more sporadic time periods?

I eat a sweet potato and a banana at least 4 times a week directly post-workout after a crossfit or jiu jitsu session. On wednesday and saturday (my recovery days) I don't eat very many carbs at all.

I don't know if that helps you or not.

I don't think the frequency of the refeed matters, what does, is that the purpose of that refeed is to replenish glycogen. However I don't care to be so precise in my training, but I'm sure it helps and fits very well with certain personalities.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Now I know what the side is for my lamb tonight!