Thread: The un-good oils page

beachrat is offline Senior Member

The un-good oils

Primal Fuel
    As I recall, the really bad thing about the oils we're avoiding (canola, etc.) is that they oxidize when used to cook. Totally on board with all that, addicted to coconut everything, etc. etc.

While understanding they are never going to be good oils, are they also outright bad for you if (for instance) you buy something like sardines or olives that are in safflower oil or the like, that's not going to get heated up by you but you'll inevitably eat some of the veggie/seed oil? I know olive oil is okay if not used to cook at high heats, but what about the rest?

If the choice is "in water" or "in [ungood] oil", in other words, which is better?

PS I travel a lot to work in developing countries and often have to scrounge in odd stores for additional protein, so less bad is often my only choice.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    It's better in water. The good fatty acids of fish leech out into the oil and thus aren't consumed when you drain the oil. The plant oils are generally high in omega 6 fats aswell, so while they might no be outright harmful when not heated, they aren't going to beneficial.

pebblehead is offline Member
    My understanding is that some of the "badness" in the bad oils is their Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio, which I think is an issue even if they are not heated. That, and some of those oils are concoctions of the laboratory, not really "food." For myself, if I can't find sardines in olive oil then I just buy them packed in water. If I want them in oil I can always add some of the "good stuff" myself.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Correct Pebblehead, it is all about ratios. (everything is really....)

Keep in mind though that even EVOO and coconut still have Ω6. I still eat them, to be sure, but I consider my intake of those oils, eggs and poultry when determining how much fish/fish oil I need to offset consumption over the course of a week. Not everyone cares to do that but for some reason, after all this time, my body is still exquisitely, unfortunately, sensitive to developing inflammation when anything is 'off'--my Ω3:Ω6 ratios, my d:a ratios, my sleep....

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, thanks for the quick feedback. This is all terrific info. I <3 this forum so much.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal