Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do after a work out? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

What do you personally do to get the best results?

Right after a work out, should I ditch the whey protein shake and go for a piece of meat instead?

Or should I fast instead? And how often and for how long?

This Monday I fasted 10 hours after working and although I felt extremely crappy, my muscles did not feel as sore as I expected. I was a little reluctant to fast at first, but I did it anyways.

I eat a huge meal when I broke the fast and ate enough to satisfy my daily protein in take of 150 grams or more. So what I am thinking is that it doesn't matter what time of the day you get the protein, but that you get enough?

By the way, I did search the site and I found very little on this subject so I'd like more information on it.

Thanks!!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

I followed Richard Nikoley&#39;s example from Free the Animal of working out fasted and waiting at least an hour or two after a workout to eat. This has gotten good results in terms of feeling optimal and seeing improved body composition. As far as what to eat, Vince Gironda had it down -- steak, eggs optional

Regarding best time of day to eat, I&#39;ve seen interesting arguments on all sides, but nothing that&#39;s convinced me to adopt a given position. So I eat when I&#39;m hungry -- sometimes once a day, sometimes twice -- and it seems to work out just fine.

So do you fast for one or two hours after every workout? Or just once in a while?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I think the answer will depend on your goal. Are you focused on losing weight, or are you already lean and looking to build/strengthen muscle?

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Both, actually. My abs are not showing because I still have a layer of stomach fat. It doesn&#39;t go away no matter what! I swear I lost more fat on my fingers (my ring falls off now) than I did on my stomach.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I&#39;ve been wondering the same thing today. Now, MY workout is nothing like Raphael&#39;s workout, but here is what I did:

I last ate yesterday 6PM for real food, some tiny something around 10PM. I really felt "foggy" when I got up so had a piece of steak, some carambola, and coconut milk. Two hundred calories.

Then I went to the beach and did a half dozen sprints. Yeah, I know, but remember I&#39;m 63 coming down from 285 pounds. This is like, BIG for me! Then back to the car, put 17 pounds in the fanny pack and two pounds each wrist. Walked about 2.5 miles. On the return, I was really, really dragging! Was this glucose dropping? No more glycogen stores?

Came home, ate beef and eggs again, felt immensely "good sore." Took a nap, still have that "good sore" feeling.

So, was this a good drill? Should I have done something differently? Should I wait until day after tomorrow to repeat?

I stand by the "Do what your body is telling you it needs". Just like OTB&#39;s example.

I tend to, as a rule, wait an hour or two after a workout before I eat. If it&#39;s a mild workout, like swimming moderately at 5:30 am, I tend to eat around 11 am.

I say, if you&#39;re dragging, eat. If you&#39;re fine and don&#39;t feel any hunger pangs, wait. Especially for losing weight.

Keep in mind that the type of work out that I am talking about is intense weight lifting.

So it&#39;s okay to fast after it?

Will that promote weight loss?

On the other hand, will it slow, if not stop, muscle gain?

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Just one opinion, but I believe you should eat after a workout if you are hungry. If not, don&#39;t eat. When you get hungry eat whatever it is you would normally eat for that meal. It&#39;s not any more complicated than that. If you&#39;re eating right and moving around a lot you&#39;ve nailed about 95% of it. There are few things I know for sure about our ancient brothers and sisters, but I bet they didn&#39;t obsess over macronutrients and calories after exerting themselves. Good luck with your primal journey!

I&#39;m never really hungry after working out. It&#39;s only about 30 minutes later that I get hungry... but I&#39;m in class by then, and have to wait another hour to eat lunch. Ideally I would eat 30 minutes after when I&#39;m hungry, but that won&#39;t work for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast