Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dentist Trip -- unexpected results... page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I just went to the dentist for my 6 month cleaning and had significant tartar buildup on the bottom teeth in the back. 1st dentist trip since going paelo. I also have my 1st cavity in like 20 years.

I brush 2x a day and use mouthwash 1x a day... no changes to my habits since going paelo a few months ago.

I eat dairy so I'm guessing it's from the increase in cheese (love it and can eat more of it on low carb)...

Any ideas?

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Cheese is supposed to be pretty good for your teeth. Have you made any other changes - more fruit perhaps?

Do you also floss?

I don't floss (never do it).

The only things I increased gonig paelo is 1 extra fruit and veg a day, way more eggs, cheese and butter.

Example - yesterday's food... all organic and as "natural" as I can find/afford...

5 eggs (cage-free) scrambled with 1 slice of american cheese and mixed peppers made with butter, coffee, multi-vitamin, flax seed oil

Almonds, sunflower seeds and dried unsweetened cranberries (bring about 2/3-1 cup to work)

(workout at lunch)

Leftover pork chops and carrots

1 Orange and more of the above trail mix

2 1/3 pound patties of pasture fed ground beef, cheese slice on each and fresh greeenbeans (yes i know not "great")

4 extra sharp cheddar cheese slices

This is a pretty typical day... don't see anything really wrong here that would cause it... maybe just bad luck?

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Very strange. Dr. Weston Price actually stated that majority of dentists and their families that he reviwed during his studies proved that the ones that were on more of Poleo diet had much healthier teeth than the ones that were eating conventional way.

Agreed... you'd think with no sugar or processed crap... i'd be better off... maybe it's just me... I haven't seen anyone else on the forum saying anything like this about their teeth.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Not exactly related to the topic of teeth, but isn't American cheese basically over-processed cheese similar to Velveta? Why don't you just stick to natural kinds like cheddar?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Maybe your diet has nothing to do with plaque build up, especially in the short term, eh?

Eating paleo/primal doesn't fix everything.

Well since I've never had this problem before and no cavities in like 20 years... the only thing different is my diet. (and sprinting but I doubt that's it)

I've since brought a toothbrush to work so will brush after lunch... maybe that will help and maybe i'll floss too...

Like I said, it's probably just me... since i haven't seen anyone else with this issue on the forums...

KC
    KC is offline Junior Member

arthurb999, many mouthwashes contain alcohol, and I wonder if you may be eliminating beneficial bacteria along with everything else. Grok didn't use mouthwash (but perhaps he had "caveman breath"; who knows.) You could try fresh parsley if it's a concern.

I'm kind of amazed at the amount of nuts and cheese you're consuming, and sugary fruits and veggies. Oranges have alot of sugar; grapefruit would be preferable as it has less, but citrus fruit is very acidic and known to be hard on tooth enamel. Berries would be a better choice if you have to have fruit. And yeah, American cheese is highly processed.

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? There are many articles at Weston Price on Vitamins A, D and K and their importance in dental health. Also, if you're not consuming enough proper fat you may be depleting your Vitamin A, so there's lots to consider.

PrimalCon New York

thanks for the responses guys...

I never even considered the mouthwash... interesting.

Good call on the american cheese... didn't realize it was highly processed... will try to get better cheeses for sure.

I figured 2 fruits and 3 veg would be fine per day... I don't eat an orange every day... maybe apple, banana, peach, plum, pear, pineappple, etc. The veg aren't always carrots... as with the fruit... could be salad greens, peppers, mushrooms, etc.

You think 2/3 cup of nuts is too much for 2 snacks?

My goal isn't to lose body fat... I'm already at 12% (5'11 185lbs, abs showing)... more to add muscle and increase sprint speed/agility.

Vit D level... no clue... but do get outside more than most people I know.

Do you think between the eggs, meat, butter, cheese and almonds, I'm getting enough fat?

Sorry we're getting off topic here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast