Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How Long Do You Keep Your Cooked Meat For? page 4

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mirow View Post
    Is there a reason you wouldn't divide into portions and just freeze them and take out as you need them? Either the raw or the cooked. I always freeze things in single serve packets, especially cooked sauces, leftover chile, raw ground meat in hamburger size portions. If I want to make meatloaf I just take out a few.
    +1

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Meat that is fully cooked has essentially been sterilized by cooking. So, assuming that it was indeed fully cooked, it will be safe for some time if kept at proper temperature, either warm or cold. The danger comes in that middle temperature zone. If you want to feel competent on these issues, get the training for some version of a food handler permit. (All that is surely online by now.) If I've cooked it myself, handled it carefully, and got it covered and refrigerated soon enough, I'll trust it for at least a week.

My answer for deli meat is very different than my answer for home cooked meat. You really don't know how deli meat has been handled. So, I will either eat it within 24 hours or cook it.

moo
    moo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Anything but fish has a 3 day limit for me unless I've frozen it. I don't care if its a steak, a bowl of soup, or whatever.. 3 days is my max.

Why? I had food poisoning that ended with me losing over 18 lbs over 4 days of water weight and a broken nose from constantly passing out while trying to get to the bathroom... and unfortunately face planting on the tile floor when one caught me at a bad time.

I would like to go the rest of my life without ever going through that again.
    I'm with Rivvin. My fridge is even organized as such so that I don't have to guess about anything and if there is any question about the age, out it goes. I thought I was going to die when I had food poisoning and part of me actually wanted to. If fish is not finished the next day at lunch, out it goes.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Interesting thoughts... seems as if many throw meat out after 3 days. I can stick with that rule as its hard for me to not consume meat within that time frame!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moo View Post
    I'm with Rivvin. My fridge is even organized as such so that I don't have to guess about anything and if there is any question about the age, out it goes. I thought I was going to die when I had food poisoning and part of me actually wanted to. If fish is not finished the next day at lunch, out it goes.
    I think anyone who's had -serious- food poisoning would agree with us, lol. I hear people who say "oh i had food poisoning, I pooped all night!" and then I hear people say "I had food poisoning and I was locked in a bathroom for 3 days and I can barely stand up" and that's when I know they've *really* had food poisoning

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    raw meat is about a week for us (unless it smells off), cooked foods are around a week. uncooked eggs are 6 weeks, cooked eggs are 3 days. BUT if i cooked a steak only rare or med-rare, i eat it within a few days. if i've waited a little too long to eat leftover meat, i'll cook it in a stew or soup (in other words, simmer it for a very long time) as long as it doesn't smell off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234