Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kombucha page

Keithallenlaw is offline Senior Member

Kombucha

Primal Fuel
    Anyone see any merit in this Raw fermented elixir? Paleo?

I found this at my health food store and the workers are raving
    about it. http://www.synergydrinks.com/products.aspx

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I used to make it, but felt uncomfortable with all the sugar. I know it supposedly gets eaten up, but the drink tastes pretty sweet to me, so I don't make it any more.

I do think it is a great source of probiotics, but I was already drinking raw milk kefir and yogurt at the time and didn't notice any health improvements when I added kombucha.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Great stuff, IMO! Low carb, full of pro-biotics. I have about 4 oz with every meat-containing meal, to help digestion.
    I used to drink GT's regularly, but it was getting a bit expensive, so now I make my own (started with a bottle of GT's Original.)

How did you do it from the original drink? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Great stuff, IMO! Low carb, full of pro-biotics. I have about 4 oz with every meat-containing meal, to help digestion.
    I used to drink GT's regularly, but it was getting a bit expensive, so now I make my own (started with a bottle of GT's Original.)

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    I can't stand the taste of any fermented beverage, alcohol, whatever... does it taste very "fermenty" I'm quite curious about kombucha...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I love kombucha and really enjoy making it. Ginger kombucha is my latest obsession. It's like ginger ale only not as sweet.

http://wildernesschilde.blogspot.com...-kombucha.html

And for the regular kombucha recipe...

http://wildernesschilde.blogspot.com...ucha-blog.html

It's a fantastic treat at the end of a hard day. Way better than beer. It reminds me of hard cider without the alcohol.

Here's what I did--really easy!

Sterilize a large glass jar (restaurants have em') with hot boiled (not boiling!) water or white vinegar.

Boil 12 cups of water (I use filtered tap water) pour into a large pot, add 4-8 tea bags (depending on your taste). Steep for 5-10 minutes, remove tea bags, add 1 cup of sugar, stir until dissolved. Cover & let cool to room temperature. (Make sure your bottle of GT's is room temperature also.)

Pour your tea and your bottle of GT's into the large glass jar. Cover with a cloth napkin or clean dish towel (rubber band it on) and let it go!! Put it in darkish, non- drafty place on your kitchen counter. In a bit more than a week you will have a THIN little "mushroom" (aka "scoby") floating on top.

My first batch was ready in 3 weeks...test in 10 days and see how it tastes.

You can pour off all but about 2 cups and keep it in the fridge in glass jars w/lids (to hold in in the fizz.) Make more tea (as above), let it cool and add it to the jar to start brewing your next batch.

More info here.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 01-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    I adore GT's, but it's not sold around here anymore.

So...do you save the scoby for the next batch or let it form a new one
    each time. The link didn't really say. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Here's what I did--really easy!

Sterilize a large glass jar (restaurants have em') with hot boiled (not boiling!) water or white vinegar.

Boil 12 cups of water (I use filtered tap water) pour into a large pot, add 4-8 tea bags (depending on your taste). Steep for 5-10 minutes, remove tea bags, add 1 cup of sugar, stir until dissolved. Cover & let cool to room temperature. (Make sure your bottle of GT's is room temperature also.)

Pour your tea and your bottle of GT's into the large glass jar. Cover with a cloth napkin or clean dish towel (rubber band it on) and let it go!! Put it in darkish, non- drafty place on your kitchen counter. In a bit more than a week you will have a THIN little "mushroom" (aka "scoby") floating on top.

My first batch was ready in 3 weeks...test in 10 days and see how it tastes.

You can pour off all but about 2 cups and keep it in the fridge in glass jars w/lids (to hold in in the fizz.) Make more tea (as above), let it cool and add it to the jar to start brewing your next batch.

More info here.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am still using the same scoby I started last year. Just leave it in the big jar with about 2 cups of the kombucha to keep it "fed" until you add more tea.

Once the scoby gets to about 2 inches thick, wash your hands, rinse them in white vinegar (to avoid contaminating the scoby) and peel off 1/2 of it Throw it in your compost--or pass it on to a friend, so they can start their own kombucha. (Keep it in a sterilized jar with a bit of kombucha to keep it happy.)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast