Thread: Bread in Meatballs? page

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member

Bread in Meatballs?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I ordered meatballs today and asked the guy if the meatballs contained any bread crumbs and he said no. But they tasted kinda soft and fluffy so maybe there was another type of bread in there? Or you think when he said no bread crumbs that meant there wasn't any type of bread.

Even if I did mess up do meatballs that contain some kind of bread still end up being pretty low in carbs?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Most meatballs do contain bread (in the form of crumbs) as a binder -- but a lot of people (including your waiter, I'm guessing) don't know that. I wouldn't worry too terribly much about the carbs (it's only one meal!), but obviously the gluten exposure isn't good. Nothing you can do about it now, though -- just have a low-carb dinner and keep on keeping on.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I haven't seen a CW recipe for meatballs or meatloaf yet that didn't include some kind of breadcrumbs (or even oatmeal) as a binder. If you didn't eat any pasta with it, it's probably not the worst meal you could eat even though there probably would have been some bread in it. My old CW recipe for meatballs had about a 1/2 cup in the entire recipe (about 6 servings), so it divides out to be a fairly small amount per meatball. Now that I cook primal, I use ground pork rinds and/or almond meal as a binder in my recipes.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Here's my recipe for Primal Meatballs:

1Lbs ground beef
    1 egg
    1 handful of almond meal
    mix ins: spices, vegetables, S&P, etc. My favorites are chopped spinach and steamed carrots, with some garlic and onion powder. I put a little coconut oil on the cookie sheet. Good stuff

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    For a binder in my last meatloaf, I ran some baby carrots and some red cabbage through the food processor to the texture of cracker crumbs. Worked just fine!

ephemeral10jf is offline Member
    I made meatballs about a month ago using ground beef and eggs with some diced pepper, onion, and garlic all mixed in. Form them into balls and fry them on the skillet. They were fantastic and didn't break apart or do anything else undesirable.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I've come to the conclusion that bread isn't necessary as a binder, but it became popular as a cheap way to extend the meat.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that bread isn't necessary as a binder, but it became popular as a cheap way to extend the meat.
    This. Plus a bajillion.

My grandfather (napolitano) used to tell the story of when he'd visit his mother in law for Sunday Dinner. He said she was so cheap she made "breadcrumb balls extended with meat" LOLOLOLOL

(It was funnier to hear him tell it in his Italian accent... hands waving... Thanks for the great memory of my Nonno!)

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Yay! I ordered meatballs off a gluten free menu last night. I assume they might have used some sort of grain binder though. I'd like to duplicate at home with no fillers so I'm glad to hear you guys think they aren't necessary.